Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: how control WS467? newbie needs help for pool light  (Read 6163 times)

ej76az

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
how control WS467? newbie needs help for pool light
« on: July 10, 2011, 03:08:44 PM »

I am a total x10 newbie.

My pool contractor installed a WS467 (or maybe a PLW01) as the switch that controls my swimming pool light (400W incandescent).  The switch is located inside the pool equipment area in the far corner of the back yard.  I would like to be able to control the pool light from a switch inside the house, maybe an unused light switch or outlet. 

The contractor gave me a PAT01 and PHR03, but I hate these because they are so bulky and noisy and the last thing I need is another remote control floating around.  I don't need a wireless remote control that I could have anywhere in the house -- I just want to be able to control the pool light from a simple fixed switch somewhere near the door to my back yard. 

I thought the XPS3 might work, but a salesperson at x10.com said it's not guaranteed to work because of potential phase issues, whatever that means. 

Can anyone help me?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: how control WS467? newbie needs help for pool light
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 03:32:05 PM »

XPS3 is a wall switch just like the WS467/PLW01. Except it has a relay in it and does not dim. It would not control the X10 switch you have.

If you just want to stop the PAT01 from Clunking . Switch the small 1-9 setting to the other position.

You can get an in wall controller that could control the light. Would mount in a switch box but would need both a line and a neutral wire in the electrical box.
http://www.x10pro.com/pro/pdf/xpt.pdf

Also there are a few table top units that could be plugged in to a wall outlet.

Like the MC460 Minicontroller or SC503 Maxicontroller. You could even get a MT13A Minitimer and have some preset on off times for the light along with manual buttons to control it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 03:48:33 PM by Brian H »

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 03:43:06 PM »

I just want to be able to control the pool light from a simple fixed switch somewhere near the door to my back yard. 

If this is what you want to do, do you need X10?  Do you have any other X10 equipment that you are running?  If you don't need the x10 control, why not just use  a standard switch?  Obviously you would need it wired outside where the light is and that could take some work, but if all you want is a switch to control the light, there is no need to use X10.

If you are looking at getting into home automation a bit, then X10 is a good place to start.  A couple solutions that may work for you going the X10 route would possibly be a "stick a switch".  being that it is a wireless switch, you would then need a TM751 or an RR501to convert the wireless signal to the power line signal needed to control the WS467.  Another option is the XPT line which can accommodate a number of different switch plates depending on your needs.  In this case you may just want a single switch.

Anyways, there are options for you.  If you decide to continue the X10 route, this is a great forum for help and advice.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 03:47:59 PM »

Dan; He already has a X10Pro PAT01 {RR501}, PHR03 {HR12A} and a PLW01 {WS467}.

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 03:51:51 PM »

Sorry, I missed that.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 03:55:45 PM »

This could replace your PHR03 but would still have to be processed by the PAT01.
http://www.x10pro.com/pro/pdf/phw04d.pdf
It is the X10Pro version of the X10 SS13A.

ej76az

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 04:07:51 PM »

This could replace your PHR03 but would still have to be processed by the PAT01.
http://www.x10pro.com/pro/pdf/phw04d.pdf
It is the X10Pro version of the X10 SS13A.

Thanks guys.  I think this would be ok.  Just wish there were one button instead of four.  Or should get an XPT and an XP1?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 04:24:36 PM by ej76az »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 04:23:07 PM »

One tip.
Try it in the location you want it but not stuck permanently.
That way if it is in a poor RF transmission area to the PAT01. A different location maybe found.

The XPT and the single button face plate would also work. I would check the location where you want to use it and verify it has a line and neutral power wire in it. As it needs both a line and neutral to work.
If it is on the other phase of the house. As X10 pointed out. There could be a communications issue.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 04:35:57 PM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.