Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Door monitoring from pc  (Read 4762 times)

daveguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Door monitoring from pc
« on: July 13, 2011, 09:34:40 PM »

I'm trying to determine the cheapest way to monitor 2 doors from a pc. I haven't used x10 before and I want to make sure I buy the right products. I'm a software engineer so I'm interested in being able to write a program to monitor the status of the doors which I understand should be possible.

This is for an office environment where there are two bathrooms in far opposite directions. It is annoying to walk all the way to one and then have to go all the way to the other if it is occupied. I would expect a door sensor, motion sensor, or light sensor would work equally well in this case.

All of these sensors on the website appear to be related to the security products and I want to make sure what I buy can interface to my pc in some way and without buying a ton of security modules I don't really need. Can anyone advise?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Door monitoring from pc
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 10:30:54 PM »

Without knowing the distances.... between restrooms and the monitoring computer/interface... it's hard to guess. The security devices: Door/window sensor (DS10A), motion sensor MS10A, can be monitored using a computer and the AHP (CM15A) software-interface... using the OnAlert software. Or...... an "eye" motion sensor (MS14A) could also be used with the same Active Home Pro interface and software (without OnAlert).

The limiting factor would be range in both cases. The sensor range would normally be about 50 feet. The forum is full of good antenna mods that can help with that. I'd try the OnAlert security plug-in if it was me as it allows for more mods and makes it easier to extend the Door/window sensor reed switch (using CAT5).
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 11:11:12 PM »

The forum is full of good antenna mods that can help with that.

Ahh, grasshopper, you need to study the achient art of X10 Feng Shui.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

daveguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 01:42:16 PM »

Unfortunately, one of the doors is in a completely different office, across a hall, and probably more than 50 feet.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 04:34:27 PM »

..... probably more than 50 feet.

The more than 50 feet isn't a problem. It's just how to do it. I'd use the DS10A door/window sensors. But I'd remove the magnetic switch [reed switch] and extend it using CAT5. that way I [you] could get the other part (that holds the batteries and sends the signal) really close to the monitoring area/computer/CM15A interface.

Then I'd use the standard AHP software along with the OnAlert software plug-in. I'd create a macro that reset at midnight and cleared both restrooms of any occupancy. Then when the DS10A senses a door open it would toggle (a conditional macro). I would create the same macro for both restrooms.

My way is not the only way to accomplish what you want to do [by any means]. dhouston has great examples of how to extend radio range and reception.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.