Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Extended Codes instead of "ON"  (Read 6339 times)

devedsmith

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Extended Codes instead of "ON"
« on: July 16, 2011, 03:07:14 PM »

I have been using AHP since the first releases many years ago. I use macros for just about everything and it's all been working as well as could be expected until about 2 weeks ago. Now, whenever an AHP macro is supposed to send an "ON" code it sends an "extended code" with a dim level instead. WTF? All I want is "ON".

How do I fix this?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Extended Codes instead of "ON"
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 03:50:27 PM »

Did you recently update AHP to the latest version?
The newer releases now have a separate Lamp Module and Older Lamps (No Soft Start).
You may have to redefine your modules from the Older Lamp (No Soft Start) tab or they will now be considered soft start and get the Extended Codes sent.

You may also want to look in the tools tab.
Preferences
Macros and see if Issue an On in place of 100% bright is checked.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 06:23:08 PM by Brian H »

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 01:18:59 PM »

Brian is correct, but forgot to mention that once you reset your modules correctly both Older Lamps and any soft-start ones you might have  gotten (X10 didn't bother to change the module types or numbers when they introduced soft-start) so the only way you find out which modules are soft-start it when a module won't turn on properly.   I have 4 soft-start modules, one in service (A Wall Switch) and 3 in my spare box, all marked "SS" in indelible black ink so I know which is which.  X10 needs to beaten with a switch iron (a device to throw street railway switches) for that stunt which bugs users to this day.   
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 01:44:26 PM »

... so the only way you find out which modules are soft-start it when a module won't turn on properly.

Dan -
This is true, but it is really easy to test.
Turn on each module manually (press the button on a wall switch / use local control on a lamp module / use a hand-held remote ), and watch what happens. If the light slowly "ramps up" to full brightness, it is SoftStart. If it comes on to full brightness immediately, it is NOT soft-start.

It is not recommended to mix SoftStart and non-SoftStart modules on the same HouseCode/UnitCode combination. This can cause some unexpected behavior.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 09:45:40 PM »

Noam is correct.   When my granddaughter tried to turn on our bathroom light a couple of months ago, she broke the push button on the wall switch, making it hard to use.  I was out of wall switches, so I ordered a new one from Automated Outlet.  When it arrived I installed it and discovered it was soft-start, so I did a swap with our upstairs bedroom (now a storage area) which is rarely used, and used the wall switch from upstairs in the bathroom.

As I said before, X10 needs to beaten with a switch iron for not changing the number on soft-start modules so the poor users could see at a glance what's new and what's old in their module inventory.  We aren't mind readers.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 10:35:54 PM »

As I said before, X10 needs to beaten with a switch iron for not changing the number on soft-start modules so the poor users could see at a glance what's new and what's old in their module inventory.  We aren't mind readers.
I don't know if I agree with the beating part, but they certainly made a HUGE mistake by not changing the module number (or even putting SOME indication on the unit itself!).

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 06:05:36 AM »

Yes it would be nice to have a what changed list.
Even if it was just a Date Code list.

The Insteon devices are the same way.
They do have a basic model number and a revision number on them. Though there is no official list of what changed at what revision for any end user the see.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 07:06:58 AM »

Yes it would be nice to have a what changed list.
Even if it was just a Date Code list.

The Insteon devices are the same way.
They do have a basic model number and a revision number on them. Though there is no official list of what changed at what revision for any end user the see.
But at least the Inseton devices HAVE a revision number on the label.

devedsmith

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 02:45:34 AM »

It seems like the soft start feature should be built into the module profile instead of the application as a whole. I have a very mixed environment. I have modules from 30 years ago to insteon on three house codes. It seems a bit ridiculous that I should have to reset everything.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 02:49:30 AM by devedsmith »

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 02:41:56 PM »

It seems like the soft start feature should be built into the module profile instead of the application as a whole. I have a very mixed environment. I have modules from 30 years ago to insteon on three house codes. It seems a bit ridiculous that I should have to reset everything.
It IS built into the profile.
If you define the module using the "Lamps" category, then AHP treats it as soft-start.
If you define it using the "Old Lamps - no SoftStart" category, then AHP treats it as an older non-SoftStart module.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.