Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Does it work for somebody?  (Read 23410 times)

rhea

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Does it work for somebody?
« on: July 20, 2011, 06:50:10 PM »

If one counts $ that have been spent for this system,  it's usefulness, the problems it gives to it's owners ...? does it make sense to choose it as one's home's security system  to be fully confident it is going to respond in time  to save ones property?  To me it starts to look like a piece os hard& software that has been created to create a fan army that spends countless hours to improve, to fix,   etc   

So far I have spent lot of my time to make it(SC12A) to work...... amazingly, it performed excellently last week(ALL WEEK)... I did not have to reset any of my door sensors, same goes for the motion sensors.... I did not change neither the consol's position,... in short... I did not do anything to it...Perfect(maybe, it SC12A, sensed I was making plans to go  and buy a new system from china(GSM) plus
s all possible sensors .... xaxa till it ,SC12A, gave in  again... making noise, not registering  open/closed doors,  loosing connection to door/window sensors on it's own.....To my understanding, if it works perfect for a week... it should  continue same ......

Looks it's a JOKE, ONE CANNOT DEPEND ON.....Security is a serious thing, so the equipment should meet the requirements....

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Does it work for somebody?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 08:51:06 PM »

Oh give me a break. X10 has sold Americas most popular DIY home alarm for many years. OK... so it took you some time to learn to set it up. Apparently home electronics isn't your favorite thing. But the X10 alarm does work.... as advertised.

But here's the real problem. Maybe in the process you learned something. Maybe you learned that alarms won't actually prevent a break-in. All ANY alarm can ever do is alert the home owner.

The real cost and effort in securing a home isn't the alarm it's the solid doors, windows and locks. Then the outside lighting and cleared landscaping, and maybe a few monitoring cameras.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 09:35:16 PM »

All ANY alarm can ever do is alert the home owner.

Or scare away and intruder.

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 10:32:10 PM »

The Security Three Step.

Step 1 - Stop them getting in.
Step 2 - Make yourself look like a difficult target.
Step 3 - Make lots of noise if your neighbor is doing a better job than you are of steps 1 and 2.

I fully realise that this is a muchly simplified guide, but it's free advice and worth much more than you paid for it :)
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 10:58:02 PM »

Or scare away and intruder.

You mean scare an intruder away after they have broken in. Well... obviously at that point it is a tad late to prevent a break-in. The idea of an alarm scaring away the intruder is real... and a valid point. Meanwhile considerable damage can be done by an intruder by just forcing access. I am all for doing everything possible to prevent an intrusion.

I use a "Voice Warning System" triggered by a floodlight (as seen in the YouTube Video at the link) with a voice for my BVC setup. I use a setup that allows me to use this feature during the day and/or night. Of course I also use cameras in my setup. Emailing images is a great way remotely monitor a home.

If an alarm will scare away an intruder... why not scare (or warn) the intruder away before he kicks down your door?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 11:08:07 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 12:42:55 AM »

Isn't that what the RoboDog was supposed to do?
You could set it up with a motion sensor to activate it.
I suppose you could use a computer to play the sound effect of a dog barking, triggered by the same motion sensor.

rhea

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 01:49:18 AM »

Well, looks , somebody here does not get the point.... it's understood that IT  does not make a perfect protection... yes, cameras and powerfull outside horns and "jazz like that" is helpful, as x10 as such does not connect to a service station..... The point here is THAT THE SYSTEM  should function , like , if You buy a battery, it should  work..... then what is the sense in it all...... you don't buy a car to adjust the wheel, headlights or replace them etc.... I should get what i pay for   which is not the case with x10 SC12A..... one gets tired running around the house with console and reinstall  the sensors, and , if someone gets this system to work within 10-15 ft radius, then what house is it then???? You people are really patient and inventive... the only thing that it does .. it turns on my lights.... Hopefully, somebody here helps me to get rid of that ugly sound SC12A makes as it responds to alarm set/ disarm   and door-window opening...

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 06:09:29 AM »

I take it. The power supply cycle, suggested in your other thread. Did not work.

rhea

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 08:35:16 AM »

Nighttime makes wonders..... SC12A back to normal... ALL by itself....IS IT NORMAL???

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 10:34:37 AM »

Is this normal?
Gee I hope not.

I believe we have had one or more reports of strange actions and sounds. That mysteriously corrected themselves.
I have had it happen one time and I am not sure if it corrected itself or my fiddling with the keys corrected it.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 10:38:08 AM »

Nighttime makes wonders..... SC12A back to normal... ALL by itself....IS IT NORMAL???
$0.02
Have you searched for "SC12" and read the threads? I see a number of users with similar problems with some "fixes".
1. Exchange the unit....several "strange behavior" threads ended with the poster exchanging the unit. When the thread dead ends it usually means (at least to me) that the problem got fixed.
2. If you have DS12A window sensors, they seem to be extremely critical of magnet positioning. Also you might try another (larger if possible) magnet, on your most problem zone, just as a test. You can get a "door alarm" with magnet for around 4 bucks at Harbor Freight, or surplus.  http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/MS-14/STANDARD-MAGNETIC-PROXIMITY-SWITCH/1.html
3. Read some of the discussions of SC1200 range, internal antenna, and power cord positioning. Experiment.
4. Others have SC1200 systems working fine. Based on that, you may have a bad console, conditions or structure that cause range problems, unusual interference, hidden installation problems, etc.
5. If you continue with problems, send it back. It is useless if you do not have confidence in it.

And you are probably saying "I shouldn't have to do all this!" true, but X10 markets "value oriented products" to the "value oriented customer". They market the least expensive camaer systems, home automation products, and security systems you can find. Whether we are talking surveillance, home automation, or security, X10 products many times needs some "massaging". This forum is full of posts for antenna mods, repeater and filter recommendations, video camera mods for RF range, light sensitivity, even pan and tilt range, etc. etc. etc.    

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:39:59 AM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 11:15:36 AM »

I was looking at other brands too (for example: http://www.amazon.com/AAS-600-Wireless-Security-System/dp/B002JFG3BY/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1311259526&sr=1-2   and you can find something similar/same on ebay for less money)  and wonder if I made the right choice.  The purchased the X10 for "value"  and hack-ability  but maybe I should have spent a little more money for something else.

I've had SC1200 for 3 months now. The THIRD console has been rock solid for the past two months....  The  I had to RMA the sc12a twice.  The first unit  would not recognize the dial tones commands after answering my call AND would make the noise you described.  The 2nd unit, worked perfectly BUT made the funny noise every other week.  You play games to reset the noise problem.   During installation I spent countless hours playing with DS10A range issues (positioning and stupid passive antennas) and give up installing the last 7 door sensors (originally planned for 20 sensors for one story 2000 sq ft house).  I would have paid for rf range extender but found out they no longer make it.

I do like the ability for my setup to send email/text message on alarm alert (via my how brew c# windows service/SDK/cm15a).  Unfortunately, I had to write the software myself to get it going last month before vacation.   Recently  its not working because it can't recognize the powerline commands from the SC12A but I'm guessing powerline transmission issues.  Why now after 2 months? It seems I'm always tweaking  the X10 products to get it to work "right"  I'm getting weary from all the tweaking I have done.

FYI, during the noise problem state... my particular sc12a will trigger on alarm condition, however will not be able to dial out to notify (I've done this test several times)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 03:32:45 PM »

I've had SC1200 for 3 months now. The THIRD console has been rock solid for the past two months....  The  I had to RMA the sc12a twice.  

[Steps up on to soap box to speak unconstructive critisizm]
Yeah, well my theory for a long time has been that X10 simply moved their final quality inspection process out to the consumer.  

It seems like everytime they have to build something they have not built in a while, they forget the recipe (which IMO shouldn't happen if there was good documentation and build procedures), and the end of line inspector is obviously comatose. Hence, we the consumers get to play final QA/QC and cull out all garbage. We hardly ever see rashes of bad Appliance Modules, Lamp Modules, Wall Switches, etc. Perhaps because X10 sells enough of these to probably have to build continuously, so they never forget the formula. That said; X10 is still the best deal around, if you are willing to do some troubleshooting.
[steps down off box and goes back to sleep]
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

rhea

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 03:37:57 PM »

Thanx for so great response... at least it makes one feel better(!) in a crowd with similar probs. As funny as it is, the door sensor that is at the most distance (around 50 ft) DOES NOT bother me... the one on my back exit door in the kitchen are  and main entrance doo  usually registers as "problem zones.    the new "smart" motion detectors  during all the time I have had the system9$months) have never given me ANY trouble(MS18A), the old ones that are further away in the basement (appr. 35ft )away  go "astray" on regular basis   looks a signal amp might solve all my problems?  REPEATER!!!!!!!!!!!!  Going to add some copper wires to my most distant door/window sensors   lets see....

Those that have no some deeper knowledge or experience in home electronics( I mean, real  stuff like understanding circuitry and the basics how it all works , like myself, ) all this is kinda frustrating......OK let's experiment

rhea

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 03:39:43 PM »

Dave... great comment!  Applause!!!!!!!! >! :)% :)% :)% :)%
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.