Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: UPDATE: Bridge across a separate electrical service?  (Read 14668 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: Bridge across a separate electrical service?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 10:13:35 AM »

I borrowed an appliance module and a mini plugin remote from a friend and had no problems getting the remote to control the light in the garage while in the house.

I'm not familiar with the terminology plugin remote. Can you provide the model number? Did it turn the lights on and off from the house?
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: UPDATE: Bridge across a separate electrical service?
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 10:21:51 AM »

Probably the X10 "Mini Controller".

http://www.x10.com/automation/x10_mc460.htm
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

whitenack

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 02:14:53 PM »

New fluorescent lights probably have electronic ballasts, which can generate a LOT of noise.  The fix is to put a X10 filter in-line between the switch and the lights.  Depending on the total current drawn by the lights, you could use either the 5 amp Leviton 6287 or the 20 amp X10 XPF.  Note that the XPF is quite large, and requires a triple-gang electrical box.  The 6287 can usually fit behind the switch in a deep electrical box or in the junction box for the first light in the string.

Jeff

Thanks a lot Jeff.  I have two separate lines I'd need to filter.  One runs to two fixtures, both with 4 32 watt bulbs each (256 total watts), and the other runs to 5 fixtures, all with 4 32 watt bulbs each (640 total watts).  Did I see somewhere that I needed to figure amps by watts/120 volts?  If that is the case, I believe I need the XPF because I'm over 5 amps on the 5 fixture line.  And all I have to do is splice the filter into the line somewhere between the fixture(s) and the switch?

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 06:32:31 PM »

I have two separate lines I'd need to filter.  One runs to two fixtures, both with 4 32 watt bulbs each (256 total watts), and the other runs to 5 fixtures, all with 4 32 watt bulbs each (640 total watts).  Did I see somewhere that I needed to figure amps by watts/120 volts?  If that is the case, I believe I need the XPF because I'm over 5 amps on the 5 fixture line.  And all I have to do is splice the filter into the line somewhere between the fixture(s) and the switch?

Yes that is correct.  The big XPF is usually cheaper than the Leviton 6287.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.