Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How To: Open Door sensor that turns on a light?  (Read 9008 times)

whitenack

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
How To: Open Door sensor that turns on a light?
« on: August 01, 2011, 06:31:27 AM »

The X10 open door sensors that I see just trigger an alarm.  Is there a way to set up an X10 sensor to tun on a light when a door is opened and turn off the light when the door is closed?  I see there are Insteon switches that will do this, but I am hoping there is a way to do it with X10 because the light will be a long way away from the sensor.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: How To: Open Door sensor that turns on a light?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 06:50:11 AM »

You looking for something similar to the TriggerLinc? That is a battery operated device. That sends an On and Off as a magnet moves.

If you have an AC outlet near the door. You can use a PF284 PowerFlasher. That can send a power line signal to a X10 wall switch or any X10 plug in modules. When a magnetic switch open and closes as the door moves.

The Insteon TriggerLinc can send an RF signal but you still need a Dual Band SwitchLinc or LampLinc Module, that can receive the RF signal or use a Access Point to translate the RF from the TriggerLinc to the Power Line for original style SwitchLinc or Insteon Module. That are power line signals only.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 06:55:22 AM by Brian H »

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 07:33:27 AM »

I use a DS10A to fire an AHP (with OnAlert) macro to turn a lamp module on/off in the basement when the door is opened/closed.

It works great until I go into the basement and someone closes the door behind me  :'
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

whitenack

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 08:47:46 AM »

Thanks guys.  Yes, the TriggerLinc is what gave me the idea.

Looks like the DS10A uses RF signals?  I'm not sure the signal will reach up to where I would need it to.

The PF284 looks promising.  I assume you would just connect it to any ordinary normally closed door sensor?  And, if I wanted to connect an overhead door and a service door onto the same switch, I could just splice the wires before they get to the switch?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 09:55:51 AM »

DS10A is a Security Type Sensor and will not directly control an X10 module.
That is why AHP with the OnAlert Plug In was mentioned. So a CM15A Interface could process the command. I believe OnAlert requires the computer to be running 24/7.

The PowerFlash could be connected to a magnetic switch that is closed when the magnet is not next to it.
As an electronic technician I would call it Normally Closed as that is its state at rest. With no magnet next to it.
If you where buying it for a Security System. They may call it Normally Open as that its state when the zone is not violated and the magnet is next to it. Confusing YES.  :'

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 05:41:25 PM »

The PowerFlash could be connected to a magnetic switch that is closed when the magnet is not next to it.

When I setup my garage door warning... I used a macro to "reverse" the reed-switch/PowerFlash Unit status. Since then I've found a reed switch that can be connected as ether open or closed:  http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=060-848

That might make the setup a bit easier.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 05:43:49 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 11:33:01 PM »

When I setup my garage door warning... I used a macro to "reverse" the reed-switch/PowerFlash Unit status. Since then I've found a reed switch that can be connected as ether open or closed:  http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=060-848

That might make the setup a bit easier.

Dave, this is a handy little device.  Normally your standard reed switch is an single pole single throw (SPST) switch.  This is actually a single pole double throw (SPDT) switch which makes the application more versatile.  I like it.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 06:11:20 AM »

I have also seen the NC-NO Magnetic Switches from a few vendors. It does make interfacing easier.

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 04:40:32 PM »

I used the reed switch(s) for a special project that allows me to open an armed/alarmed door without tripping the alarm.... as long as the inside door is open before the storm door (and remains open while the storm door is open).

First.... I like the idea of wiring storm doors to alarms. If sirens and flashing lights really do scare away an intruder.... why not scare them away when they open the storm door... instead of waiting till they kick open the solid door. So... since I was wiring my storm doors I got the idea of a bypass.

A bypass could be used as dogie door. So.... if Spot needs to go outside at night the alarm wouldn't need to be shutoff and then rearmed afterwards. Opening the inside [solid] door closes the loop so then opening the stormdoor doesn't trigger the alarm. That isn't how or even why I use the bypass.... but you get the idea.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 04:48:15 PM by Dave_x10_L »

whitenack

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 11:29:08 AM »

Update and a question:

I have the doors in place and a powerflash plugged into a wall outlet which I had installed between the service door and garage door.  Will I be able to splice the wires from the two magnetic switches together, or will I need two separate powerflash modules?  Can I just run both leads into the connection screws?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 12:10:29 PM »

Update and a question:

I have the doors in place and a powerflash plugged into a wall outlet which I had installed between the service door and garage door.  Will I be able to splice the wires from the two magnetic switches together, or will I need two separate powerflash modules?  Can I just run both leads into the connection screws?
As long as you do not care about knowing which door is opened, and you are using the N.O. contacts on each mag switch, yes, you can. Opening either door would cause the PowerFlash to send an ON.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

whitenack

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 12:58:14 PM »

One thing I have failed to ask...when the door closes, will the powerflash send an off signal?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 01:10:21 PM »

One thing I have failed to ask...when the door closes, will the powerflash send an off signal?
If both doors are closed, yes.

Make sure it is set to correct mode.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

whitenack

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 01:25:57 PM »

Thanks Dave W!!

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 04:41:06 PM »

Maybe off topic... but just a note. A similar setup can be used with exterior doors and storm doors. I created such a set up where [under a certain condition] an outside siren/alarm will sound if the storm door is opened... and the exterior door isn't. To make mine I used two door/reed switches a transformer power source, and a siren.

The condition can be the alarm is armed... or even just a fake module set by a dusk sensor, or by an X10 on signal. This could/can be helpful when letting a dog out or for a family member that steps outside to inhale smoke.

Mine is self monitoring and requires no attention whatsoever. If an intruder was checking out my home (and the perimeter detection setup didn't catch him) before he even has a chance to try to kick in the door... the siren will get the neighbors attention.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.