Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SC1200 and voip compatibility  (Read 8335 times)

aptalca

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
SC1200 and voip compatibility
« on: August 02, 2011, 01:53:43 PM »

I just wanted to start a thread where anyone can chime in with their experience and let us know which voip methods work or not.

1. MagicJack:

I tried the MagicJack. It works. Well for the most part. MagicJack is shady and won't accept any calls from out of state Verizon cell numbers while the phone is physically local (Because Verizon treats that call as a local call and offers less money to MagicJack per minute, but MagicJack being shady and greedy, rejects the call, plays a message to the customer, telling them to complain to Verizon). MagicJack also does not connect outgoing calls to certain area codes, 540 being one of them. So technically it worked with SC1200A, but not for me.

2. Obi100 or Obi110 w/ Google Voice

Works like Magic. Google Voice has free US calling through 2011 and free incoming calls for life (well, as long as Google is around). You should probably use a new Google account for it as the Obi will keep the account logged in to google chat 24/7. Unlike MagicJack, there is no need for a computer to be on. Obi plugs into the router.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 10:20:40 AM by aptalca »

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
Re: SC1200A and voip compatibility
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 04:55:38 PM »

I am using the magicjack on old 900Mhz Pentium III laptop with the sc1200a. I am on sprint so I have no problems calling the sc1200 for remote access.  However when the laptop is in lower power state, the sc1200 sometimes dials "too fast" so it skips digits on the magic jack windows xp app.  If the laptop was "awake", dialing it works 100% of the time.  Don't know if the root cause is the slow cpu of the laptop.  This not an issue for me I because I depend on email/text message alert for an alarm triggers and arm sequence.

The laptop cost roughly $15 per year to operate (based 15 watts power consumption and at cost of $0.12 per KWH).   It also has 1 hr battery life if power is cut.

I also have OBI100 that I recently purchased solely to be used for  the sc1200.  I have no doubt this will work properly.  Just need to find the time to setup.

>MagicJack... won't accept any calls from out of state Verizon cell numbers   
That's interesting news.  I am about to port my home number to my "spare" magic jack. So I did a online chat with magic jack support and they claim its working now.  However you can't always believe level 1 support. I might still port anyway because I've had the same home number for years and its cheaper way to keep the number alive at $20 yr.   90% of our calls are via our cell phones anyway

aptalca

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 09:19:22 AM »

I also have OBI100 that I recently purchased solely to be used for  the sc1200.  I have no doubt this will work properly.  Just need to find the time to setup.

I used this guide, and I did it the hard way through the device's internal config but you can use the web setup es well:

http://voxilla.com/2011/01/24/how-to-use-google-voice-and-obi-for-all-your-calls-free-2512

I am about to port my home number to my "spare" magic jack.

You can also port your number to Google Voice. It allows porting from cell phones only at this time, costs a one time fee of $20 but then you get to have the number for life for free after that. Then you can have the google voice number ring your magicjack if you want to use it with that, or set it up with the obi. I like the versatility of google voice numbers a lot. I am currently porting my skype number to it. Because the skype number costs $60 a year vs 0 with google. But I have to first port it over to an AT&T gophone so I can then port it over to google  :'(

jediagh

• Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 02:29:38 PM »

Not VOIP per say but I am using a cellphone for my "landline" as oppose to a real land line.
I use something called the xlink to get my spare cellphone to act like a land line.
Here is a review and "how to" of the product.

hoho

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 10:52:27 PM »

Hey guys so simple "Verizon home phone connect" work's great for my sc1200...only $20/month unlimite call..

Jeff M

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: SC1200 and voip compatibility
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 11:36:39 AM »

I am using NetTalk.  Plugs directly into my router, $30 a year.  Every once in a while, I'll either dial in to the SC1200, or manually trip the alarm, just to test the dialing function.  So far, no problems.

jediagh

• Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 03:24:07 PM »

Hey guys so simple "Verizon home phone connect" work's great for my sc1200...only $20/month unlimite call..

Insert Quote
I am using NetTalk.  Plugs directly into my router, $30 a year.  Every once in a while, I'll either dial in to the SC1200, or manually trip the alarm, just to test the dialing function.  So far, no problems.

Only issue with these two options and VOIP is that if they cut the power your SC1200 is not going to dial out.  :'(
Same if they cut the phone line again your SC1200 is not going to dial out.

Now going the cellphone route you don't have these issues (no power, no phone line).  The xlink box does need power and to solve that issue if you get a UPS box you can have the xlink box use the batery backup in case the power goes out so you can still get the phone call and/or call the SC1200 as well.  :)%

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 03:34:41 PM »

You can put  VOIP device, router and cable/DSL on backup UPS  that power line cut won't be problem unless cut cable/phone line. I have to say the Cell phone method is still better because its more reliable than my comcast or ATT DSL connection

aptalca

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 11:17:03 AM »

I thought about those shortcomings of the system related to power cuts, or phone line cuts, etc.

But what it comes down to is, if a robber is determined enough to cut those, then chances are, no alarm system that I could afford would be able to stop them. So I just won't worry about it.

Plus, if I had that kind of valuable stuff at my house, or if I lived in a fancy enough house that attracted those kind of robbers, I probably would not trust X10 with my security. In my area, it's mostly petty theft, smash the window, grab and run kind of break-ins for both cars and houses.

My alarm is mostly for:

1) Letting me know when there is a fire

2) Letting me know when someone attempts to break in (broken glass, open door, etc.)

3) Shocking the robber who tries to break in through visual and auditory channels and hopefully force them to run

To be honest, just having an ADT banner outside the door does a LOT to discourage the potential robber and have them break in to another house that does not have a security system.

My car just got broken into a couple of weeks ago. They smashed the window, went through the middle console, did not find anything worth taking (even though there was a brand new GPS receiver) and moved onto the next car on the street. They hit 4 cars total. Took nothing. I found out that my factory car alarm only goes off when a door is opened. If you break the glass and lean in, nothing happens. They probably knew that because all four cars they hit had the same type of factory alarm so we had no idea what happened until the next morning.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.