Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2nd Window Door Sensor To Fail??  (Read 4246 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
2nd Window Door Sensor To Fail??
« on: September 20, 2011, 10:48:26 AM »

Just using my trusty DS7000 while I'm having some work done on my DSC system. Well this morning while in the home mode I got a false alarm from a window. The thing I find troubling is that this is in the SAME location as the last failure.  ??? Just seems strange that it would occur in the same location. In over maybe 14 years I've only had three window door sensors go bad the last two being in this location. The only thing about this spot is that I'm using an older contact and wire that running down into the kitchen. The contact is mechanical and appears in perfect working order. So I was thinking possible there a problem with the connection in the wire itself possibly. The last time this happen was over a year ago so right now I'm just uncertain as to the cause hoping someone here might have a clue whats possibly causing this. Thanks

Tom j.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: 2nd Window Door Sensor To Fail??
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 01:12:01 PM »

FWIW
I have a CM15A with "F" connector mod and an antenna in the attic. Over past three or so weeks I am suddenly having problems receiving RF signals from the two most remote motion sensors. One of the MS is using the 18" passive "repeater" antenna (it's not a true "passive repeater" but ya gotta call it something). Replacing batteries had no effect. Check of the attic antenna showed everything normal.

So what has caused the sudden decrease in CM15A sensitivity?

I, at this point only have three theories:
1. sun spots. (yeah, seriously)
2. moisture content of shingles which changes the pickup pattern of the antenna. (yeah, still seriously)
3. Crappy CM15A receiver gain is unstable.

My point here is: from an RF standpoint, my system has been working well since 2006,  now it suddenly gets crappy. I can't explain it. Nor have I been able to fix it. Someone on the forum has a signature that paraphrased says: " One day it works, next day it does not, that's the way X10 is."
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 06:44:44 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 01:19:31 PM »

DS7000 kit.
So are the sensors the older DS10As?

tom j

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 05:52:37 PM »

DS7000 kit.
So are the sensors the older DS10As?

Hi actually this sensor is probably a year or so old. Thanks

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 05:55:31 PM »

FWIW
I have a CM15A with "F" connector mod and an antenna in the attic. Over past three or so weeks I am suddenly having problems receiving RF signals from the two most remote motion sensors. One of the MS is using the 18" passive "repeater" antenna (it's not a true "passive repeater" but ya gotta call in something). Replacing batteries had no effect. Check of the attic antenna showed everything normal.

So what has caused the sudden decrease in CM15A sensitivity?

I, at this point only have three theories:
1. sun spots. (yeah, seriously)
2. moisture content of shingles which changes the pickup pattern of the antenna. (yeah, still seriously)
3. Crappy CM15A receiver gain is unstable.

My point here is: from an RF standpoint, my system has been working well since 2006,  now it suddenly gets crappy. I can't explain it. Nor have I been able to fix it. Someone on the forum has a signature that paraphrased says: " One day it works, next day it does not, that's the way X10 is."

I actually believe there was a sun spot problem or something that affected my sisters system about a year back. Or some kind of RF interference that the x10 system couldn't deal with.

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 11:32:23 PM »

Just wondering what you think didn't seem to be the sensor so could the little two wire contact be the problem.  ???

Tom j.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.