Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I am new to X10, after I put order, I did some read, I found acutally X10 the  (Read 7185 times)

wyx2000

• Helpful Post Rating: 1

signal does not really weigh much in the whole line of products. It seems only the lamb socket rocket relys on it, when a transceiver send signal by power line. All the other products rely on RF, include the ActiveHome Pro.

The only thing I can think why X10 is used here is the size of the receiver(controller)? you can replace a lamb socket rocket with a transceiver if size is not a issue, then you don't need any X10?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 03:38:07 PM by wyx2000 »

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting

What are you talking about???

It is not only lamp sockets that rely on an X10 power line signal.  In fact most of their products rely on a power line signal.

This whole post confuses me.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

Almost all of the X10 modules depend on reliable power line signals.

wyx2000

Maybe I am wrong, that is what I am trying to figure out
Take example here. When someone come to my front door, I want the front light turn on. I want to make it a bit complex, I want my computer log the event and let it to control the light, so here is what I think will go in

1, Motion sensor pick the movement and send RF to "ActiveHome Professional Computer Interface and USB Cable (CM15A)" (I am not sure why CM15A named like that, I see it is a box with antena, I will think it is a RF sender/receiver that talks to computer, correct me if I am wrong)
2, Computer get command from the CM15A by USB (?), and the ActiveHome Pro software process it and we could have a script to send back a command to turn the light on
3, Suppose I have the light on a lamb socket rocket, I will have a transceiver somewhere, so the CM15A will send RF signal to the transceiver.
4, The transceiver will send a X10 command to the lamb socket rocket

So here I only see X10 signal in step 4. If the front light is connected to a lamb module, I will assume the CM15A will just send RF signal to the lamb module to turn the light on, not any X10 here.

I am learning, if you know, please point out what am I wrong here.

Brian H

• Community Organizer

The CM15A can send and receive both X10 Power Line and RF signals.

A motion sensor sends an RF signal when motion is detected.
The CM15A or a transceiver can process the RF signals.

If the motion sensor and the lamp module {Socket Rocket} are on the same X10 address. It can be controlled directly with a power line signal.
Through either a transceiver or the CM15A processing the command.

If the motion sensor is on a different address. It can trigger a macro running on the CM15A to control the lamp. With conditions. Like time of day etc.

Almost all of the X10 modules are strictly power line signals. The RF commands are processed and sent on the power lines to the intended module or modules if more than one are set the to the  same address.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51

Once again, Brian beat me to the punch ;)
I have to learn to type faster.

Here's what I'll add:
It looks from your posts like you are using the term "X10 signal" to refer to the X10 PLC (powerline) signals.
In truth, both the RF and the PLC signals are still X10 signals, they just use a different transmission medium (RF uses radio ways through the air, PLC uses the powerline itself).

wyx2000

The CM15A can send and receive both X10 Power Line and RF signals.

A motion sensor sends an RF signal when motion is detected.
The CM15A or a transceiver can process the RF signals.

If the motion sensor and the lamp module {Socket Rocket} are on the same X10 address. It can be controlled directly with a power line signal.
Through either a transceiver or the CM15A processing the command.

If the motion sensor is on a different address. It can trigger a macro running on the CM15A to control the lamp. With conditions. Like time of day etc.

Almost all of the X10 modules are strictly power line signals. The RF commands are processed and sent on the power lines to the intended module or modules if more than one are set the to the  same address.

Thanks the explanation.

wyx2000

Once again, Brian beat me to the punch ;)
I have to learn to type faster.

Here's what I'll add:
It looks from your posts like you are using the term "X10 signal" to refer to the X10 PLC (powerline) signals.
In truth, both the RF and the PLC signals are still X10 signals, they just use a different transmission medium (RF uses radio ways through the air, PLC uses the powerline itself).

Ok, I think I should change what I asked. Actually I thought X10 is something transfer by powerline. For sure RF need some form to transfer signal too. It seems X10 in RF form doesn't mean much to me for now.
What I tried to ask is the using of powerline for sending signal, as I read that "X10 is a communications 'language' protocol that allows compatible products to talk to each other via the existing 110V electrical wiring in the home.". While most places refer X10 as signal send in powerline, I see in most case you will use RF rather powerline to send signal. Or can I understand that X10 series used to use powerline a lot to send signal, but now more and more lean on RF side?

wyx2000

Suppose I have the following products
1,ActiveHome Pro Interface
2,Lamb module
3,Applicaiton module
4,Transceiver
5,Lamb Socket Rocket
6,Motion Sensor
7, Remote Controller

My understanding now is except the Lamb Socket Rocket, all other can be connection without relying on powrline. That means only rely on RF. Am I correct?

Brian H

• Community Organizer

For #1. Was the AHP Interface the CM15A or the CM19A?
Since you listed a transceiver in item 4. I think you are getting the CM19A that is only RF and has to go through a transceiver. Most likely the TM751.

No. The Lamp Module; Socket Rocket; Appliance Module are power line controlled.

If you are getting the CM15A interface it also runs on AC power and can send and receive power line signals. It also can send and receive RF signals.

luke03

CM15A is a lot more than just a computer interface, RF interface and AC wire interface. It is actually a computer of its own. You can program it to run macros and timers. So that even your PC is off, you can still control your lights through the macros and timers stored in the CM15A.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68

CM15A is a lot more than just a computer interface, RF interface and AC wire interface. It is actually a computer of its own. You can program it to run macros and timers. So that even your PC is off, you can still control your lights through the macros and timers stored in the CM15A.

Yes, macros and timers can run when the PC is off if you have uploaded them to the CM15A, but not control lights manually unless you have things like Stick-a-Switch and and transceivers like a TM751 or a RR501.  BTW the CM15A is NOT a computer, so that in your post is incorrect.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21

Definition of a computer.

com·put·erNoun/kəmˈpyo͞otər/
1. An electronic device for storing and processing data, typically in binary form, according to instructions given to it in a variable program.
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139

I'm just gonna sit back and watch.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

YB

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • Coders Are The Only True Evils In This World...
    • X10 WTI

Definition of a computer.

com·put·erNoun/kəmˈpyo͞otər/
1. An electronic device for storing and processing data, typically in binary form, according to instructions given to it in a variable program.

details  >!
Michael Youngblood
Web Designer
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.