X10 Zone > Article Discussion

Future of X10

(1/38) > >>

JeffVolp:

I read an article linked on the HomeSeer board that makes me wonder about the future availability of X10 equipment:

http://www.cepro.com/article/the_end_of_x10/

Is this just an unsubstantiated rumor being spread by someone who hates X10?

Jeff

Brian H:
Does make you wounder.
There are almost no Retail Vendors carrying X10 anymore, if any.

Notice in the comments section of the article.
One comment was. Your previous encounter with X10 has nothing to do with this does it?

Most users here know it is not Plug and Play or 30 minute setup.
But with some work. You can get allot of bang for your buck with X10.
I have also seen some unique uses for X10 from very inventive users.

The Automation Systems Hacked article also scares me. We know X10 protocol was never made to be secured.
With any microcontroller it would not take too long to cycle through all 16 House Codes and 16 Unit Codes. To see what responded.
http://www.cepro.com/article/home_automation_systems_easily_hacked_via_power_lines/K309

JeffVolp:

I did read that comment, which made me wonder if there was substance behind the article.

Most of us know that X10 can be hacked by anyone with a Maxi Controller by just plugging it into an exterior outlet and going through the codes.

X10 has included a feature to keep track of modules in use since the original Active Home, which can monitor commands in homes sharing the same utility transformer.  I believe the intent was to avoid house and unit codes that are in use elsewhere, but it certainly provides the ability to monitor an adjacent home too.

I don't think hacking is the issue.  I think the economy is having pressure on people purchasing things they don't need, and the colapse of the housing industry has reduced the demand for their products.  They may also be having the same cost pressures as I am seeing, and the fact that their sales are at bargain basement prices leaves little margin to work with.

Jeff

B.A.:
I have noticed that most of the recent "sales events" ::) focus mainly on cameras

dhouston:
I wouldn't put much faith in that unless I see an announcement from X-10. X-10 certainly has room to raise prices since all of the competition is premium priced. And, all of the competing systems are fairly easy to hack which should surprise only clueless editors and others equally naive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version