Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Future of X10  (Read 205921 times)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Future of X10
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2011, 10:25:24 AM »

Maybe the post on the Homeseer web site about X10 closing the Shenzen factory is troll gas. I hope so.  
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 10:33:05 AM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2011, 10:36:51 AM »

The Westinghouse Intercoms use an FM power line signal as detailed in their FAQ section.
http://www.westinghouse-home.com/intercoms-faq.htm

It also mentions "Same Phase". Gee just like X10.

Users Manual: 100mW FM power line signal.
Channel A 230KHz., B 260KHz., C 290KHz and D 200KHz.

It would be nice if the rumor of the Factory closing was a bogus post, but I fear it may not be.

Would the general X10 users pay for a better module. Hard to say after getting three or more modules for the cost of a better one.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 10:47:23 AM by Brian H »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2011, 10:49:05 AM »

And FM powerline intercoms predate X-10 by about 15-20 years. I installed one in ~1962 in a restaurant in the Palo Alto, CA area to communicate between the maitre' D stand and kitchen when the contractor forgot to put in conduit for a wired intercom.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2011, 11:15:32 AM »

Maybe the post on the Homeseer web site about X10 closing the Shenzen factory is troll gas. I hope so.  

We shall see. It would be nice if on of the X10 suits who post here would give us some REAL news.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2011, 11:28:44 AM »

..... It would be nice if the rumor of the Factory closing was a bogus post, but I fear it may not be.

I've heard/read other rumors about China's manufacturing. How can China fullfill orders with a six month lead time for a nation that has printed 15 trillion dollars in the last three years? The value of our money is dropping faster than the margin allowed for profit. Products used in the country of origin (China) might slip by via inflated domestic pricing... but the X10 we use is North America Specific (120 volt 60 cycle).

With the combination of Chinese inflation, and our devalued dollar they are likely receiving LESS than a dollar for what cost slightly MORE than a dollar to produce. Closing doors might be the only option. But this wouldn't be limited to X10... we would see things like HP getting out of the tablet biz and stuff like that.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 11:36:35 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2011, 11:57:49 AM »

With the combination of Chinese inflation, and our devalued dollar they are likely receiving LESS than a dollar for what cost slightly MORE than a dollar to produce. Closing doors might be the only option. But this wouldn't be limited to X10... we would see things like HP getting out of the tablet biz and stuff like that.

I read yesterday that HP was getting out of the consumer business entirely.  And regarding the cost of things from China, check out my thread on Component Prices.

Eventually this may be a good thing because it may tend to bring manufacturing (and jobs) back into this country.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

HA Dave

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2011, 06:42:57 PM »

....... Eventually this may be a good thing because it may tend to bring manufacturing (and jobs) back into this country.

Yes! I remember my parents and grandparents talking about the grand old times of the depression. I had hoped to miss ever seeing a depression, myself. But America has had four of them since 1776.... so it was about time for another.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2011, 10:11:12 PM »

I appreciate all the suggestions and support, but I just don't have the resources to make something like that happen.  Should some other entrepreneur want to take on the production task, I would certainly be available for design support.

Some of you know I have two irons in the fire now.  One is the Pro version of the XTBM that I have been working on whenever I get the chance.

The other is the XTB-232, which is a RS232 powerline interface that supports the CM11A "real-time" protocol.  I have tested that running under the original ActiveHome GUI, HomeSeer, and Home Control Assistant.  Beta units are being tested now.

Sorry, but I have no plans to offer a USB version.

Jeff
Not that I'm running out to buy one (yet - I haven't figured out what I would use it for), but have you tested the XTB-232 with the newer version of AHP - the ones that support the CM11A?

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2011, 10:13:12 PM »

At the very bottom of their last email:

"WE ARE ABOUT TO SHAKE THINGS UP…

STAY TUNED FOR A GAME-CHANGING NEWS RELEASE."

Jeff

I know what it is - one of the developers spilled the beans, and then swore me to secrecy.
All I can tell you is that from what he told me, it is NOT WiFi-based home automation. Although that would be really cool (except for those people who get really great WiFi signal strength on one side of the house, and nothing on the other).

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2011, 11:34:04 PM »

Not that I'm running out to buy one (yet - I haven't figured out what I would use it for), but have you tested the XTB-232 with the newer version of AHP - the ones that support the CM11A?

Not yet.  Since it doesn't support any of the downloadable controller functions, I didn't think anyone would use it with AHP.  I tested it with the original AH to confirm it adhered to the CM11A protocol.  I recently reinstalled AHP on my lab computer (kind of a pain because it isn't normally on the network), so I can verify that works too.

Jeff

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2011, 12:14:01 AM »

Not yet.  Since it doesn't support any of the downloadable controller functions, I didn't think anyone would use it with AHP.  I tested it with the original AH to confirm it adhered to the CM11A protocol.  I recently reinstalled AHP on my lab computer (kind of a pain because it isn't normally on the network), so I can verify that works too.

Jeff
I haven't played with my CM11A in a few years.
With the newer versions of AHP, can the SDK send out PLC commands via the CM11A?

HA Dave

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2011, 09:31:33 AM »

..... I know what it is - one of the developers spilled the beans, and then swore me to secrecy.

Are you saying X10 is changing or improving.... but NOT closing the doors on HA?

B.A.

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2011, 09:39:08 AM »

At the very bottom of their last email:

"WE ARE ABOUT TO SHAKE THINGS UP…

STAY TUNED FOR A GAME-CHANGING NEWS RELEASE."

Jeff

I know what it is - one of the developers spilled the beans, and then swore me to secrecy.
All I can tell you is that from what he told me, it is NOT WiFi-based home automation. Although that would be really cool (except for those people who get really great WiFi signal strength on one side of the house, and nothing on the other).

Are they going to fill us in soon?

I have some friends that are interseted in X10....but with everything going on,
I'm telling them to hold off for now for fear they won't be able to buy what they need down the road.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 09:46:17 AM by B.A. »

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2011, 11:02:03 AM »

Regarding eBay, only one dealer still has the XPPF filter for less than $10.  And, the unit in most of his photos does not look like the standard X10 XPPF.  Anybody know if they were a special run?  If so, are they the same electrically?

Jeff

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2011, 11:07:45 AM »

I think I know who you are talking about and I have ordered a few. Two two packs.

Yes the output jack orientation looks 90 degrees from where I am use to seeing it in the photos. Of the smaller packages.
The large package photo shows the outlet in the orientation we normall are use to seeing.
It also looks like it has four screws holding the cover on. Not the one screw and a snap fit on the bottom.

If no one has the information on the XPPF that looks different. I will post my findings when they arrive.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 11:31:45 AM by Brian H »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.