Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Future of X10  (Read 205879 times)

orcusomega

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
Re: Future of X10
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2011, 11:12:05 AM »

Adding my $0.00025 here, for whatever its worth...

I have been more of a lurker than a participant, and I have seen some uniform experiences pretty much across the board:

1) Unless you have some technical experience, this is probably not the hobby for you - it is more than just a casual hobby, you need to commit to it (and then some!)
2) The components are cheap, both in price and quality, so it's pretty easy to just "walk away" from an installation, and keep the bad mojo going...
3) In terms of innovation, X-10 has not done anything much I can see to try to catch its competitors (Z-Wave, etc).  For the most part, the components still look like throw-backs from the 80's
4) The QA for their code is at best slipshod.  I have never owned a product that required so many workarounds (that said, its still cool as h311 though)
5) They don't seem to care much about the actual use cases presented by users on this forum - remember, the vocal minority often speak for the silent majority - and opens doors to more market opportunities

With the Airpad, I see them stepping into a new arena, into a new environment where they can potentially branch and grow.  Unfortunately, I see two sides to this coin - either the Airpad is awesome, and will make them into a Tablet company (ask HP how that worked out for them) or maybe, JUST MAYBE, we could see the airpad as a jumping-off point for something bigger and better?

... like maybe a wireless CM15-like interface where everything is in the controller, and has built-in wifi?  Control everything from the tablet?

Maybe, but I highly doubt it.  It would be very difficult for them to erase decades of reputation and still keep with their existing name and expect to be thought of as serious players in the HA game.  I would think that if that was their plan, they would be re-branding, or flat-out renaming, their organization.

Long story short - I think the Airpad will be a flop... Even if it is the greatest tablet of all time, they don't have the market clout to get it out into the distribution channels (retail, for example, like at Best Buy, etc) to go up against HP, Dell, etc who have strong, existing channel programs and partners.  I doubt that with all the contraction that has been mentioned here that the product was fully designed and built by X10 - probably OEM'd from another manufacturer, and if so, that undermines their potential for success even further.  All the new tablets are coming out with Android 3, and in order to run 3, you need very specific hardware - memory, processing power, etc, and their announced product does not have these.  So they are essentially announcing they are selling an Android tablet that is a year old that cannot be upgraded, for $200.  I got my HP Zeen tablet (to be a touch-based home HA controller interface, BTW) for $250, and it came with a big, nice color printer :)

I don't mean to sound negative, I just get the feeling the wheels are falling off the bus, and they are in a skid - who knows if they can recover.  Their value proposition to me was they had what I needed, and while it was not the best quality, it was CHEAP and I could buy two or three of theirs for the price of one item from any other competitor.

I hope they find their niche - and soon - because I have (as we all do I am sure) a lot of time and money invested in their equipment, and would hate to have to replace it all with something else...  And if they drop support for the software, then we are really screwed, since you know we are gonna fund bugs galore as time goes by...

Anyway, I'll get down off my soapbox :)

Bob

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2011, 12:07:33 PM »

Bob, this should be required reading material for every X10 manager in Renton and Las Vegas...however your item number five accurately predicts they will not give a rip.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

aptalca

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2011, 03:44:42 PM »

Actually the Airpad is hardly an X10 product. It is just a re-badged Chinese kirf.

They are mostly called Apad and use cheap, outdated components so they can sell them under $200.

If you search on google, ebay or alibaba, you'll see a ton of these imports. Android is free and open source, so any manufacturer can slap it on their hardware, that is why there are a ton of these cheap tablets.

X10 is very different than Dell or HP in this case, because those manufacturers actually custom design their hardware as well as customizing the software like Touchwiz on Samsung, Sense on HTC and Motoblur on Motorola, whereas X10 only ordered these already designed OEMs and paid them to put their branding on them.

The only good thing about the airpad in my opinion is the use of a capacitative screen as opposed to a resistive one. Other than that, the cpu is only single core and cortex A8 as opposed to the A9 cores now (outdated by about 8 months), screen resolution is 800x480 (same as most cell phones with much smaller screens even though the newer phones have already moved onto qHD which is 960x540 and most quality 7" tablets use 1024x600)

Overall, it's not bad, but it's also not the revolutionary tablet that X10 is trying to make it out to be. Honestly, X10 did nothing but paying an overseas manufacturer to put their name on this preexisting tablet and imported it. They had no involvement with either the hardware or the software. They should at least have done *something* to make it their own, such as putting a custom automation app on it with nice gesture based ui that controls AHP. (Not the current in-browser method activephone with static buttons) That way, maybe people who do not know anything about AHP would buy this tablet because it is cheap, and then get interested about automation.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 03:46:57 PM by aptalca »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2011, 04:36:26 PM »

.... They should at least have done *something* to make it their own, such as putting a custom automation app on it with nice gesture based ui that controls AHP. (Not the current in-browser method activephone with static buttons) That way, maybe people ...........would buy this tablet because it is cheap, and then get interested about automation.

I myself wondered about why an X10 app hadn't been preloaded. Maybe at some future time... X10 AirPads will have a special app. For now... maybe keeping the negative stuff to a minimum might be helpful.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2011, 07:21:34 AM »

X10 does offer a 30 day return and 90 day exchange warranty on the Airpad and relatively quick shipping. That is a great advantage in buying from X10.   Hopefully they have qualified the manufacturer too.  Anyway below is link to Apad that suspiciously looks like the Airpad.  I woundnt' necessary order from them....
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/7-capacitive-touch-lcd-android-2-3-tablet-pc-w-wi-fi-agps-usb-host-hdmi-4gb-rockchip-rk2918-73312

Buying directly from China is hit or miss and dealextreme is one of those chinese vendors.   I've had some bad experiences and I have had good experiences but sometimes I can't resist the prices either.  You have to wait 4 to 8 weeks for it to arrive.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2011, 05:53:11 PM »

Overall, it's not bad, but it's also not the revolutionary tablet that X10 is trying to make it out to be. Honestly, X10 did nothing but paying an overseas manufacturer to put their name on this preexisting tablet and imported it.
I don't see where they have even done that. Looks like pure Chinese generic to me. Not that that is bad...I have a Chinese generic GPS that works well.  
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 06:42:42 PM by dave w »

aptalca

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2011, 06:18:54 PM »

Overall, it's not bad, but it's also not the revolutionary tablet that X10 is trying to make it out to be. Honestly, X10 did nothing but paying an overseas manufacturer to put their name on this preexisting tablet and imported it.
I don't see where they have even done that. Looks like pure Chinese generic to me. Not that that is bad...I have a good Chinese generic GPS that works well. 

lol, I assumed they did (at least) that.

But you're right, according to the pictures, all it says is "PAD" on the back

Jeff M

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2011, 01:34:06 AM »

I posted a URL to the same tablet at DealExtreme.  They took it off the board and sent me a message not to post a URL with a BUY button.  They will probably remove your post also.  Seems that if the AirPad is so much better than the competition, then they would have no problem with my post.  I only posted that link to start a discussion about why the AirPad might be a better choice.  I guess it is not that much better, which I am assuming is the reason they removed my post.  I believe that the next release of Android, 3.2 I think, is hardware specific.  This means that the AirPad is probably not upgradeable.  Correct me if I am wrong.  I like the idea of the 7 inch tablet, but I think I'll pass on the AirPad for now. 

pseeker

« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2011, 10:40:33 AM »

I have 8" chinese imported Apad Cortex A8 Samsung S5PV210 (similar to galaxy tab chipset) Android 2.3, resistive screen. I took huge gamble ordering the 8" chinese import in terms of  support and warranty. I would have seriously considered the Airpad but would wait for the discounts.   It is perfect for my needs.  I don't need the bleeding edge and I don't want to spend $500+ to risk my 2 year old dropping it.  It makes a fine education tool for my kid, recipe pad for kitchen, ipcam viewer into the crib and newspaper with my morning coffee.  We use it everyday.

Some times upgrades are myth.  Who heck wants to put Windows 7 on vintage Windows XP/Windows 2000 machine. The hardware will be underpowered.  Windows Xp machine still serves me well.  Most people buy a new machine instead of upgrading the software anyway.

Bleeding edge, It doesn't always pay to get the lastest with the premium prices.  Remember those 50" LCD that cost thousands... Now they are under $1000.  Give the Apad to your kids/Nephew in 1 or 2 years and buy the next gen value priced Apad with X+1 cores and X+1 Ghz  Arm CPU with Android X+1 and X+1 hours of battery life. 

Also if you can wait, I would guess black friday would be the best time to pickup one of these Apads from the major companies because the prices continue to drop every month.  In the meantime I trying to find those $99 Hp touchpad (discontinued)

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2011, 10:42:21 AM »

I posted a URL to the same tablet at DealExtreme.  They took it off the board and sent me a message not to post a URL with a BUY button. 
Yeah, them guys in Renton got no sense of humor at all.     :'

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2011, 10:47:58 AM »

In the meantime I trying to find those $99 Hp touchpad (discontinued)
Me too. But unless HP contiues to support the Palm OS (and why would they?) it may be obsolete the day FedEx delivers. Who will write apps for a dead OS? (gee I think I just talked my self out of the HP).

pseeker

« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2011, 11:01:59 AM »

For touchpad the icing is there is some effort from the community to port Android to the touchpad, one of players helped the port of cyanogenmod to the BN Nook.   If doesn't happen, it  makes wonderful browser,pic viewer, ebook reader for next year of two before your next device.  Besides where else can you buy $300 worth of raw hard  parts for $99?

pseeker

« Reply #87 on: August 29, 2011, 12:04:15 PM »

My guess of  future  X10 of offering is a security alarm system already designed in China that you see  on ebay with add ons smoke detector, motion sensor, door sensors, glass break sensors, gsm cell connection, remote siren, remote keypads, range extender and wireless range of 300ft or more.    I see a few guys building a business from these imports.  X10 value add is service, warranty and technical support.

William8

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #88 on: August 29, 2011, 12:41:10 PM »

I've seen those systems on ebay. I noticed every sensor has an antenna you must extend, and the remotes as well. I'm sure the wife would really like the looks of that.

Personally, I'm stocking up on parts to keep my security working for a long time. So far a lot of 8 new DS10A's for $14 shipped, and a new IBM Home director kit that includes a WS467, 3 lamp modules an 1 appliance module, and a couple more pieces I will never use, for $15 shipped. Not bad.

Now I just need a spare console and remote. The prices on ebay have been rising quickly since the news of x10's demise.

B.A.

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #89 on: August 29, 2011, 02:24:03 PM »

The prices on ebay have been rising quickly since the news of x10's demise.

What is going on with that anyway? Since the Airpad announcement, I haven't seen it discussed here.
Have they in fact stopped production?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.