Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: Future of X10  (Read 206299 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Future of X10
« Reply #120 on: September 04, 2011, 05:30:39 PM »

The bottom line is if we lose X10 as a supplier, there are other sources of equivalent devices.  And it may benefit some of the other manufacturers still in the X10 arena.  The down side is we won't be able to buy modules for $5 each anymore.

I sure hope your right! My worse case scenario.... has the world having a hard time finding countries that have sofisicated governments, along with an educated, and peaceful population. Yet poor enough to live on the profits from cheap electronics. The idea that X10 has just maybe just mismanaged the operation after 36 years... and the remainder of the industry will be untouched.... is too optimistic even for me. But you may be right. Ether way I agree with your down side prediction..... $5 modules are likely a thing of the past.

I can image many future challenges.... and many solutions. Whatever is ahead for Home Automation I am sure there will be many creative people looking for fixes and work-arounds. And... I am confident they will find them and past that information along somehow. I am sure that in the future.... the use of Home Automation will be limited... only by our imaginations.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 10:10:14 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Sammer

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #121 on: September 13, 2011, 02:14:38 PM »

I just wonder if X10 will continue to update the software and "fix" bugs? :'
If they have permanently closed the factory doors, I doubt it. I doubt they would assign overhead to projects that would not result in revenue (more module sales).
It's too soon to panic. Even if the X10 factory in China has permanently closed its doors it doesn't mean that X10 won't contract the future manufacture of at least some X10 protocol products. There are other manufacturers in this world (as SmartLabs obviously knows regarding the actual manufacture of the Insteon products) that can make this stuff. Just don't expect the modules to cost only 5 bucks.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #122 on: September 13, 2011, 02:23:43 PM »

Smarthome dropped all their X10 only compatible modules for their Insteon and Icon Modules.
I seriously doubt they would OEM for X10.

Check the X10 prices. That in many cases already have gone up. Especially the EBay and independent dealers.

Sammer

« Reply #123 on: September 13, 2011, 02:59:08 PM »

Smarthome dropped all their X10 only compatible modules for their Insteon and Icon Modules.
I seriously doubt they would OEM for X10.
They may have dropped them in the past but one seems to be back. Smarthome claims their LampLinc Essential X10 Lamp Module (not Insteon) is available now for $10. AFAIK SmartLabs doesn't actually own a factory in China and subcontracts the actual manufacture of the Smarthome modules.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 03:30:31 PM by Sammer »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #124 on: September 13, 2011, 03:10:04 PM »

Yes the LampLinc Essential is still available. Cheaper than the LM465s they also carry.  ;D
I have one as a test subject and proudly blew the fuse in it.  :'
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 03:38:25 PM by Brian H »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #125 on: September 13, 2011, 03:31:03 PM »

AFAIK SmartLabs doesn't actually own a factory in China and contracts the actual manufacture of the Smarthome modules.
I have no idea whether they own their own facility or use subcontractors. They did get into the X10/Insteon business after they bought Switchlinc and I believe one of the Switchlinc principals still heads up this operation.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Sammer

« Reply #126 on: September 13, 2011, 03:40:02 PM »

Yes the LampLinc Essential is still available. Cheaper than the LM465s they also carry.  ;D
They also claim to have a Lighting Starter Kit on sale consisting of the LampLinc Essential and X10 MC10A Mini Controller for a little less than the Mini Controller by itself.

luke03

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2011, 05:25:25 PM »

No doubt X10 was the inventor of thise industry. They deserve a lot of praise. Others who made their product based on similar AC line zero crossing technology really should pay respect to X10. If X10 patented the AC line zero crossing technology, there is no way anybody else can make similar product without paying X10 for every module they made.

Now, without paying any royalty to X10, they really want to kill X10.  I think that is little bit too far....

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2011, 06:16:03 PM »

luke03, X10 had patents on the protocol and they have expired a long time ago.
When I started with X10. If you wanted to send X10 power line signals from a home brew device. To be leagal you had to use their TW523 or PL513 interfaces.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #129 on: September 20, 2011, 06:44:05 PM »

Yeah, X10 is 30 years old, I doubt there are any patents still in effect as far as PLC stuff.

If X10 is getting out of certain elements of the business, I wonder if they will still manufacture remote controls for OEMs and all the OTC "universal" remotes? I think that was a huge (unseen) part of their business. I find it hard to believe they won't try and keep that going. But I thought all the remote stuff was made at the same factory that supposedly closed it's doors.

Over all, this "event" has been pretty strange.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

pomonabill221

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #130 on: September 20, 2011, 06:47:45 PM »

Yeah, X10 is 30 years old, I doubt there are any patents still in effect as far as PLC stuff.

If X10 is getting out of certain elements of the business, I wonder if they will still manufacture remote controls for OEMs and all the OTC "universal" remotes? I think that was a huge (unseen) part of their business. I find it hard to believe they won't try and keep that going. But I thought all the remote stuff was made at the same factory that supposedly closed it's doors.

Over all, this "event" has been pretty strange.
AND SCARY!!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #131 on: October 02, 2011, 03:31:52 PM »

More fuel for the fire.
http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/Announcements/X10-Going-into-Receivership.html

I also see there is a Chinese Company making X10 compatible overseas modules.
http://x10bus.com/
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 03:44:05 PM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #132 on: October 02, 2011, 04:53:01 PM »

This is too bad.

Maybe ACT and PCS, both of whom actually manufactured PLC in the US,  will dust off their old assembly lines.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #133 on: October 02, 2011, 07:25:13 PM »

Its like watching a slow train wreck... 

More fuel for the fire.
http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/Announcements/X10-Going-into-Receivership.html

I also see there is a Chinese Company making X10 compatible overseas modules.
http://x10bus.com/

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #134 on: October 02, 2011, 09:11:18 PM »

Its like watching a slow train wreck... 

No joke. And... it isn't just X10.
Home Automation is an always changing technology
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.