Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: Future of X10  (Read 205899 times)

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
Re: Future of X10
« Reply #180 on: November 27, 2011, 11:33:47 AM »

Just curious, if X10 was to go out of business, how would we do a new installation of AHP?

A fresh install of AHP requires verification from X10 servers using a valid order number. If they switch their servers off you would not be able to successfully install AHP.

Perhaps they have a version almost ready for release that doesn't rely on server validation.
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #181 on: November 27, 2011, 12:08:27 PM »

That right there is my concern actually.  When you install AHP or a new component, it calls the mothership to verify that you have a valid installation.  If for some reason the server were switched off, even though you own a valid installation, you are SOL.  I know there are some efforts in other communities to resolve this issue (such as creating a local server that is redirected via your router), but hopefully it won't get to that point!

pomonabill221

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #182 on: November 27, 2011, 05:12:06 PM »

Probably the best thing to do IF there X10 is going to shut down, (and this has been answered before, I just wanted to reafirm), make a complete backup of your drive, and try and keep it backuped regularly, so IF there is a problem AND x10 goes down, all you have to do is restore the latest backup and AHP should be up and running.
This should be done regardless though!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #183 on: November 27, 2011, 06:07:10 PM »

That's certainly a good solution, but hopefully not what we'll be left with.  When other companies have orphaned paid users of their software/hardware, they sometimes open things up.  I've even seen where they open the source up, not just the application.  Hopefully, X10 figures things out and get back to making quality products at reasonable prices as they've done in the past.  But, if not, I hope they do the right thing and either sell what they have produced to another company that can continue things on or give the established X10 user base  the software that keeps their hardware working.  Obviously, plugins like the remote access stuff won't continue to work, but at least AHP would.

>!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #184 on: December 20, 2013, 09:08:16 AM »

With Authinx taking over X10 operations there doesn't seem to be any doubt here.
X10 isn't going away any time soon!
New X10 modules are slated to be released in 2014!  :)%
True we may need to wait a bit before all servers are back up but with the forums back on line things are looking up!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

homeflow

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #185 on: November 05, 2019, 01:52:43 AM »

Homeflow is the smart choice when it comes to home automation. We have simple, easy to use systems to suit every BUDGET.
Our biggest goal as a company is to introduce as many people as possible to smart home technology.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #186 on: November 05, 2019, 08:09:49 PM »

Homeflow is the smart choice when it comes to home automation.
H-m-m-m
When I Google or FB "Homeflow" I get: "Homeflow is a leading supplier of digital marketing to the UK property market."  Are you like, an X10 installer in Poughkeepsie?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

x10wizard

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #187 on: November 05, 2019, 09:46:15 PM »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #188 on: November 06, 2019, 06:39:22 PM »

Wow! I think Homeflow needs to slip Google some money. First two pages are nothing but Homeflow real estate, also in the UK.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.