Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can I hook my RF devices with X10?  (Read 3448 times)

wyx2000

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Can I hook my RF devices with X10?
« on: August 15, 2011, 12:05:12 PM »

For example, I have a home security system, it has remoters and main console, I use the remoters to turn the console armed/unarmed. I want know if I can use a X10 product like the Application Console to capture signal from the remoters and/or send RF signal to the main console?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Can I hook my RF devices with X10?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 12:44:59 PM »

Application Console? Not a familiar name. Do you have the X10 name for it?

Are the systems made by X10?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 01:08:37 PM by Brian H »

wyx2000

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 01:38:29 PM »

Application Console? Not a familiar name. Do you have the X10 name for it?

Are the systems made by X10?

I am talking about the "ActiveHome Pro Computer Interface", I could not remember the name because the Interface here is a bit strange to me, I always thought about GUI when I see Interface.

What I am trying to figure out is if X10 can talk to other RF devices, I guess not, I think not like IR, there is no standard on RF.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 02:12:06 PM »

There is no "standard" for either IR or RF - each manufacturer has their own protocol. So the short answer to your question is no - your RF devices will not understand X-10 RF nor will your CM15 understand the non-X10 RF.

In North America, not only are the protocols different but there are a multitude of RF frequencies used by various systems. In Europe, Australia, etc., if you could program the CM15 at a lower level, you probably could control your RF devices (if you know the protocol) as all use 433.92MHz but it's unlikely that the CM15 will ever understand or report other RF protocols.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

wyx2000

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 02:18:23 PM »

There is no "standard" for either IR or RF - each manufacturer has their own protocol. So the short answer to your question is no - your RF devices will not understand X-10 RF nor will your CM15 understand the non-X10 RF.

In North America, not only are the protocols different but there are a multitude of RF frequencies used by various systems. In Europe, Australia, etc., if you could program the CM15 at a lower level, you probably could control your RF devices (if you know the protocol) as all use 433.92MHz but it's unlikely that the CM15 will ever understand or report other RF protocols.

But from what you say here, it is highly possible they could be in same frequency? if so that means it can receive the signal, it is just about how to intercept it? I thought IR is standard because it seems IR devices I tried have similar signal , for example, I have a PBO media box, it can receive signal from my Telus remoter, at least it can give different hex code when you press different buttons. How to execute command is up to your program for sure.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 02:37:36 PM »

That they use the same frequency does not solve your problem. The CM15 will only report codes that match its protocol. As I mentioned in passing, if you could access the CM15 at a lower level you could intercept and report non-X10 codes and you could send non-X10 codes. But, you would have to modify the CM15 hardware, replacing or reprogramming the Cypress CY7C63723-PC USB-PS/2 Peripheral Controller that X-10 uses. It's not a trivial task. If you'd like to have a go see...
ZBasic microcontrollers have low-level functions to handle the powerline protocol, with options for CM15-specific signals - you're on your own for the RF protocols - there are articles explaining how to capture them on my webpage, as well. There's a link to the schematic for the USA version of the CM15 in the first link above. 
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

wyx2000

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 03:46:58 PM »

Yark, just found out CM15A is out since 2004, didn't X10 improve their product a bit for so many years?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 06:08:17 PM »

The firmware has changed.
My real early one has an earlier version in it.

Can't say about the hardware as I don't have a 2011 Date Code Unit. I know X10 has been redesigning many of their modules. With surface mounted parts and easier to fine ones. Some of the old DIP Chips are classics now.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.