Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AHP with Iwatchout and cameras  (Read 3862 times)

pomonabill221

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
AHP with Iwatchout and cameras
« on: August 19, 2011, 02:36:12 AM »

I found something a little interesting!
  I run the Iwatchout plugin to control my Ninja's but do NOT have the VA11/12 interface (adapter).
When I start AHP, of course I get the nag about cannot find the video adapter (I expected this... NOT a problem).
I just click OK and go on.
BUT....
  IF I have a usb camera plugged into a usb port, I DON'T GET THE NAG!!!!
  The camera is a cheapy ebay camera that uses the Vimicro camera chip so maybe AHP sees the chip, or when the camera is plugged in, the dll that handles video loads and AHP sees that the dll has loaded and "thinks" the video adapter is connected... dunno.
  Of course, AHP doesn't see the camera or any video from the camera because it isn't the VA11/12 (also expected) BUT AHP "thinks" the adapter is there and doesn't complain!!!  INTERESTING I thought!

pomonabill221

Re: AHP with Iwatchout and cameras
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 01:51:47 PM »

ANOTHER little tid bit of info on cameras and X10.
One one computer (a Dell laptop), I have Iwatchout installed but no VAxx capture device, and when starting AHP I get the expected popup saying it can't find the capture device.  I click ok and go on, no problem.
  Another computer ALWAYS crashes when starting AHP because the camera isn't there.
  Soooooo....
  I plugged in a Logitech Quickcam express (real old and a cheapy), and AHP doesn't nag me (computer one, laptop) or crash (computer two).
 BUT HERE is the REAL SURPRISE!!!   :o :o :o
   AHP actually SEES the camera and displays video from the camera!!!!  -:) -:) -:)
I am not using the video capture portion of AHP, just the Ninja control, but I thought this was VERY interesting that a real USB camera worked in AHP.
  I know that this is NOT how it is supposed to work, and haven't tried other cameras to see, but in my first post, the cheapy that I tried (just to keep the nag from happening) didn't work, but this one does!
  hhmmmmmmm...........

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 02:10:13 PM »

Thank you for that tidbit of information.
I am sure it may assist others.

pomonabill221

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 02:01:19 AM »

You are welcome!
  Just remember that the video from the camera may NOT display (sometimes mine does and does not), but the point is to make AHP happy when you first startup so you don't get the nag.
  The video is just an "extra".

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.