Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 stopped working  (Read 4251 times)

jtakarsh

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 stopped working
« on: August 23, 2011, 09:46:56 PM »

This past week I noticed my x10 system stopped working.  I use a ActiveHomePro to automate the system along with several remotes to trigger lights or macros.  The system has been working for several months.  Due to the home being around 3000 sqr. feet, I have installed a active couple to transfer signals between the phases. This setup has been working for several months with little problem.

What has now happened is I noticed that my x10 system is no longer working fully.  Specifically, lamp modules appear to work, but appliance and wall modules are not responding to any codes.  I know the transreceiver is receiving codes since I can hear it click on and off when I use code 1/9 and that those lights on lamp modules are working.   

I have done the following to try to identify the problem:

1) I have unplugged the active coupler, plugged back in, and verified that it works.  The lights on the module when I send a code are blinking, which would indicate that the signal is being transferred betweent he phases.

2) I have removed the active coupler and tried moving the transreceiver through out the house to see if anything changes.

3) I elimintate the ActiveHome Pro computer and interface.

4) I have tried to identify any new electronics that may have introduced interferance.

If you have any suggestions on what might be causing the problem I would appreciate your assistance.  I think my next step is to start turning off specific electrical circuits to see if I can determine which circuit may be causing the problem.  I'm wondering if a module has gone bad an is causing the issue.

Thanks,

Jeff

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: X10 stopped working
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 06:02:42 AM »

You may want to try unplugging devices and see if things improve. As many devices even when Off are powered in standby.
Isolating the branch circuit by toggling a breaker. May narrow down the problem.

Plugged in active coupler. Maybe the Smarthome dryer style by chance?
Even with the LEDs flashing, I guess there is an off chance it has a problem.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 11:42:50 AM »

Do you (or any of your neighbors on the same pole transformer) have any CFL bulbs?
I've had problems twice with failing CFLs "buzzing," and creating enough noise to shut down part or all of my system.
In one case, it was a bulb in one of my outdoor fixtures. In the other, it was my neighbor across the street.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 12:35:10 PM »

I think my next step is to start turning off specific electrical circuits to see if I can determine which circuit may be causing the problem.  I'm wondering if a module has gone bad an is causing the issue.
A module going bad should not stop other modules or wall switches from receiving an X10 command. Finding out how many circuits are effected is a great starting point. I predict you will find a noise source (like a CFL bulb). Also are you sure your repeater is still working on both phases? and Will the transceiver click when it is plugged in same outlet where the non working Appliance Module is?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.