Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 Universal Module not responding  (Read 3075 times)

Tom_B

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 Universal Module not responding
« on: August 29, 2011, 05:35:20 AM »

This X10 Universal Module (UM506) is no longer responding to X10 signals. 

It does operate normally with the local ON and OFF momentary switches on the device.  I removed it from it's usual location and tried it with several different unit codes, with the same result.  Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this would be appreciated.   

(I use it in relay only mode to operate a stereo I modified - - that normally starts with a momentary contact switch)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: X10 Universal Module not responding
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 11:04:16 AM »

Rotate the HC and UC dails 360 degrees, then back. Plug it in to an extension cord along with a X10 controller (Maxi, Mini, TM751 and Palm Pad, etc) and try it then. If it still does not work...it does not work.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

mikeythemars

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 12:25:56 PM »

Rotate the HC and UC dails 360 degrees, then back. Plug it in to an extension cord along with a X10 controller (Maxi, Mini, TM751 and Palm Pad, etc) and try it then. If it still does not work...it does not work.

I am having the same issue with a universal module.  I rotated the HC and UC dials per your instructions and then connected the unit directly to an extension cord that my CM15A was plugged into, with the CM15A  attached to a computer with AHP running.   I flipped the  switch for the module in AHP on and off multiple times and the module did not respond. I then opened up the unit and immediately detected the  "burnt/overheated component odor".  This is the second universal module I have seen fail (despite their getting very light use and the voltage they are handling being well below the 30 volt limit).  I am also having some sporadic response issues with others, which gives me the sense there is some sort of a design flaw in these units; which given the smell I mentioned in the non functioning one suggests a component running above spec that wears out prematurely.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 01:06:28 PM »

I would also suspect a component failing.
Maybe in the power supply area. I have had a RR501 where the zener diode must have been running close to its maximum rating. The PC board got all black. The solder holding it in got flaky and making a poor joint.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 01:50:10 PM »

I have had a RR501 where the zener diode must have been running close to its maximum rating. The PC board got all black.

The problem with a transformerless power supply is that the dropping capacitor must be sized for maximum load - in this case transmission - but it will still consume that much power when the load is light.  The excess must be dissipated as heat.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.