Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to detect where x10 module is used and where it is  (Read 7976 times)

jr1chard

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
How to detect where x10 module is used and where it is
« on: September 05, 2011, 07:04:34 PM »

My neighbor and I had a falling out several months ago and since then I have begun noticing some strange events and timings around the house.  The neighbor had mentioned in the past about x10 and how great he thought it was.  I didn't know much about x10 at the time but have tried to read a little since then and am now wondering given the events if he has used x10 in some way on my house.  Now I'm noticing click sounds in the wall that sounds like a light switch followed many times by the sound of a motor running and/or theres a slight shake/vibration to the house.  These click sounds can be anytime day or night and they seem to be quite loud.  I've lived in this house for 40 years and never had these sounds.  At 1am when I hear these it's a bit unnerving as us the vibration/shaking.  I'm wondering if the neighbor has used some of the x10 modules on my house.  Is this possible and if so is there a way to find out if x10 is being used and how would I locate the modules?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: How to detect where x10 module is used and where it is
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 07:11:26 PM »

If you have lived in the house for forty years and didn't install any X10 devices. Like wall switches or plug in modules.
There is no way X10 can be used to control anything in your house. If no X10 modules are installed.

Do you have anything that may automatically turn on and off? Like a sump pump, water pump, septic system where the waste is pumped into the tank or fields?
It is possible one of the automatic devices is starting to wear out or failing and making noise.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 07:15:07 PM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 08:06:12 PM »

I'm wondering if the neighbor has used some of the x10 modules on my house.  Is this possible and if so is there a way to find out if x10 is being used and how would I locate the modules?
Sure, your neighbor could have put X10 in your house if he had access. Is his house on the same power transformer as you? If so the neighbor might be able to control the module from his own house. He could also use a RF remote control, but the range is very limited.

How do you find it?  Well I think if I heard strange sounds in my home I would have been investigating where the sounds were coming from.

There is no "X10 bug detector" so you phsically have to look for it. You could buy the X10 computer controller interface and software which has an "Activity Monitor"  and can display any X10 commands on the the homes powerlines. But if you and your neighbor IS on the same transformer you would probably see his X10 activity too.  

http://www.x10.com/activehomepro/activehome-pro-starter.html      

Lamp and Appliance Modules are about the size of two decks of cards, it isn't likely they are "in the wall" otherwise there would be some evidence of wall patching. The modules plug in to outlets, so inspect every outlet in the house. Also look for strange wires or extension cords that you did not install.

You could also purchase an X10 controller and use it to individually turn ON and OFF each of the 256 house code-unit code combinations to see if you could produce the snap-crackle-pop you hear periodically. You would want to cycle each code ON-OFF several times and start with an outlet closest to where you hear the noise, then repeat at several other outlets.

http://www.x10.com/promotions/mc10a_cat_hm.html?NCAT

Also think seriously about what Brian said; are you sure you don't have a pump or something wearing out and starting to make noise..
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 10:13:06 AM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 11:23:40 PM »

...... think seriously about what Brian said; are you sure you don't have a pump or something wearing out and starting to make noise..

I also think Brian H very likely hit the nail on the head. But I would add/ask... have you performed or had any work or maintenance done at your home... maybe even back in the spring. When you posted: I'm noticing click sounds in the wall that sounds like a light switch followed many times by the sound of a motor running and/or theres a slight shake/vibration. My first thought was a hot water heating unit. Maybe switching on during recent cool nights.... even though the boiler isn't fired-up.

This might be a perfect time to patch things up with your neighbor. Maybe he would be willing to share a cup of coffee, beer, or meal with you... and help you track down your noise. It takes a little effort keep those neighborly friendships healthy, but the effort is more than worth it. A good neighbor is a true blessing. 
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 10:10:52 PM »

I've noted here that X10 does NOT Mass Market  now and never did.  Everyone I know that has X10 was turned on to by a friend, I was introduced to it that way.  It's highly unusual to even have a next door neighbor to a X10 user that also has X10.  For a while you could get X10 modules from X10 and Radio Shack, Motorola, Sears Roebuck, I've got modules from all of them and they were made in the next door factory across the street from the X10 factory in China, so they work fine.   All of them are no longer carrying X10. 
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

luke03

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 05:48:27 PM »

Put a X10 filter in the power main. If you have a good X10 filter, it will block most X10 noise from your neighbor.
Maybe have the house checked with The Terminator.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »

Put a X10 filter in the power main.
Which one? How is it wired?

jr1chard

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 01:46:44 PM »

My neighbor's house is approximately 10-15 yards west of my house and the property line is maybe 5 yards west of my house.  My home has aluminum siding on it and most of these 'click' sounds are on the west wall. The house sits on pillars about 2 or 3 ft tall and has concrete block all around the perimeter.  I do not have a basement.
  The neighbor is vindictive and, I believe, would creep around in the middle of the night to my house.  The neighbor erected a 6 ft. solid vinyl fence at the property line and keeps the yard as dark as pitch at night.  There have been many nights that I wake up at 2am with some vibration/shaking to the house and get up to investigate.  I slip outside my back door and hear what sounds like several individuals moving about in the neighbors yard and voices that sound similar to the lady and her son.  These activities and others have been going on for at least 3 months.  So, the neighbor has had access and I have been at work all day and am asleep most hours of the night but am not sure if he could somehow attach x10 to the house during those times.
  I realize expansion and contraction cause some sounds that I am familiar with but some of the sounds I am hearing are loud like I would expect a light switch to be.  And if a motor seems to run afterward when my refrigerator and heat pump are not running then I think that is strange.  It seems like it would be a lot of effort/risk for someone to come to the house even in the middle of the night and do what would be necessary to attach devices. 
  I believe I am on the same transformer as the neighbor.  I have looked at all the electric sockets in the house and there is no module there and the only other option, as far as I know, is adding it to the electric wiring.
  In addition to the click sounds timing of some events also makes me wonder about x10: 1) very little activity until I sit on the couch and then there is activity at that spot 2) quietly move to bedroom and slip into bed and within 15 seconds there begins to be activity there 3) draw a bath and there may be some activity when I run the water but mostly when I get in the tub.  There can be a lapse between running the water and getting in and it makes no difference.  I many times hear a motor run outside when the agitation begins.  4) activity generally starts within 5 minutes after I walk in the front door  5) go to dining room and sit to use computer and there are clicks in the wall and then a motor runs and the floor will shake slightly.

jr1chard

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 01:58:49 PM »

One other thing I forgot to say is I have not installed X10 in this house and have not authorized anyone else to install it.

B.A.

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 02:24:06 PM »

Just a thought......I am not familiar with the pan & tilt cameras, but would they make a noise that sounds like a motor?
What if the initial click was an appliance module turning on an X10 camera???

Maybe you should install a camera or two.
I was suspicious of activity in my yard for months until I put up a hunting camera in my yard and
caught a peeping tom spying my wife in the bathroom window!

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 04:04:49 PM »

My neighbor's house is approximately 10-15 yards west of my house and the property line is maybe 5 yards west of my house.  My home has aluminum siding on it and most of these 'click' sounds are on the west wall. The house sits on pillars about 2 or 3 ft tall and has concrete block all around the perimeter.  I do not have a basement.
    I believe I am on the same transformer as the neighbor.  I have looked at all the electric sockets in the house and there is no module there and the only other option, as far as I know, is adding it to the electric wiring.
  In addition to the click sounds timing of some events also makes me wonder about x10: 1) very little activity until I sit on the couch and then there is activity at that spot 2) quietly move to bedroom and slip into bed and within 15 seconds there begins to be activity there 3) draw a bath and there may be some activity when I run the water but mostly when I get in the tub.  There can be a lapse between running the water and getting in and it makes no difference.  I many times hear a motor run outside when the agitation begins.  4) activity generally starts within 5 minutes after I walk in the front door  5) go to dining room and sit to use computer and there are clicks in the wall and then a motor runs and the floor will shake slightly.
OK Nothing strange in any of your outlets inside the home. So have you checked the crawl space under the house, especially on the west side?

There is a filter that is installed inside your power panel which will greatly attenuate any X10 commands eminating from your neighbor. PZZ01 http://www.x10pro.com/pro/catalog/platform.html#filtercoupler.

But it requires the complete disconnection of the neutral wire coming in from the meter and routing that wire through the PZZ01. So usually requires an experienced (and probably expensive) electrician.

IMHO there really is no way to "detect" unauthorized X10 modules other than to get a little more pro active and visually inspect the h*ll out of everything, followed by a call to the police if you find X10 modules and motors under your house.

...OR

Another fun thing might be to get two mini controllers http://www.x10pro.com/pro/catalog/controllers.html#plug and use them to flood your homes powerlines with any X10 continuous command such as Bright or Dim. Only one X10 command can be on the homes line at any one time. More than one command and they all get corrupted. By sending non stop continuous commads you would prevent any other commands (from neighbor?) getting though to your house. However you would likely also screw up your neighbors system in his house. And the only way he could stop it is to install a PZZ01 at his panel.

You would need two controllers to insure you are covering both phases of power in your home (and his). Search "phase coupling" on this forum. All you would have to do is tape or in some way hold down either the BRI or  DIM button on the controller.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 10:24:21 AM by dave w »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 10:17:29 PM »

My neighbor and I had a falling out several months ago .......

From time-to-time I read a post here where someone asks... let me say... slightly "different" questions. Often things that involve spying on... or listening to a neighbor. Generally I would somewhat blame X10... as sometime ago X10 ad's gave the impression that the cameras could be used for spying. Often... it would become apparent that the poster was actually committing acts of spying themselves. Spying on people isn't legal anywhere... that I am aware of.

I hate to ask this.... but is your neighbor a former romantic interest? Because that is when these posts generally start to get weird.

Your neighbor... or ANYONE else could be spying on you! I can't tell from here [at the forum] what is wired up in your crawlspace... and I don't think anyone else can ether. If your being stalked... you need to find out now... not toy with the idea. Feelings are real... even if they aren't always correct... don't discount them. Get a family member, trusted friend, or friend-of-a-friend to investagate in, under, and around your home tomorrow.

This isn't a movie! This is real life and motors, switches, cameras, and listening devices will show up if they are there. Don't remove them if they are there... call the police.

However... if nothing is there... that won't change your feelings of being watched, nor will you stop hearing motors. You may have to move. You may need medical attention even after you relocate. Of course... the paranoid feelings of being watched can themselves be caused by some prescriptions... or even heavy drinking. A doctor may be able to identify the motor... or humming sound... your hearing as well (if nothing is found around your home).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:30:54 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 08:12:06 AM »

I've read this entire thread and the only thing that pops in my mind is that jr1chard is a web troll.   As I posted before, X10 has never been Mass Marketed ever.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

B.A.

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 09:14:14 AM »

I've read this entire thread and the only thing that pops in my mind is that jr1chard is a web troll.   As I posted before, X10 has never been Mass Marketed ever.

I'm not quite sure what a web troll is. ???

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.