Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: No Root Access  (Read 23958 times)

Tesla

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
No Root Access
« on: September 10, 2011, 04:08:40 PM »

I don't seem to have root access on my AirPad. It has been posted that we would have root access to this machine.

Test 1:
Download "Terminal Emulator" from the Android Market and run it...
Once inside the Terminal type: su
If the terminal then jumps down a line and displays a # you have root...
- This test does something else.

Test 2:
Installed Titanium Backup (free) from the Android Market
- Reports "no root access"

... how do we get root access?

YB

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • Coders Are The Only True Evils In This World...
    • X10 WTI
Re: No Root Access
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 01:15:27 PM »

interesting, I'll look into this right away.
Michael Youngblood
Web Designer

Tesla

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 05:59:09 PM »

interesting, I'll look into this right away.

Any progress or news on this?

J.B.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 12:21:02 AM »

I'm also wondering if there's any more info or progress on this.

X10 Dev

• Helpful Post Rating: 19
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 02:10:45 AM »

There is root access, but you're probably looking for 'su' and 'superuser.apk'.  I will make a ROM with this and upload once I get back into the office Monday.

q711179

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 09:36:40 PM »

There is root access, but you're probably looking for 'su' and 'superuser.apk'.  I will make a ROM with this and upload once I get back into the office Monday.

Support like this from the company is why I purchased the airpad try to get a Barnes & Noble tech to respond like this regarding a Nook, hah ! Thank you so much.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 09:41:27 PM by q711179 »

J.B.

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 12:18:19 AM »

I will make a ROM with this and upload once I get back into the office Monday.

Just curious if there has been time to look at this.

J.B.

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 04:40:49 AM »

Thanks kindly.  >!
I've flashed many a firmware to many devices but I did actually have some troubles on this device when the first attempt failed.
Turns out the image file was corrupt and after downloading it and flashing it again, all was well.

The on-screen keyboard is much better.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 05:04:30 AM by J.B. »

Tesla

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 12:03:03 AM »

Turns out the image file was corrupt and after downloading it and flashing it again, all was well.

I might suggest zipping all the different files (even separately), just to act as a container. A .zip file can be tested, and an incomplete .zip file will complain.

Publishing the MD5 hash codes to the various files would be another option, but seems like zipping is easier.

J.B.

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 12:09:13 AM »

I'm not sure exactly what happened, but with the first attempt the downloaded .img was 138MB and failed. The second was 159MB and flashed without issue.
The first attempt resulted in a boot loop, so I was worried for a few minutes...  :'

DemDave

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 09:13:41 PM »

I can't complain too much because I'm sure I'm outnumbered, but a Mac-friendly way of uploading ROMs would be helpful in the future. Especially if this is the preferred method of software updates or the eventual Ice Cream Sandwich release.

YB

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • Coders Are The Only True Evils In This World...
    • X10 WTI
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 06:13:57 PM »

I can't complain too much because I'm sure I'm outnumbered, but a Mac-friendly way of uploading ROMs would be helpful in the future. Especially if this is the preferred method of software updates or the eventual Ice Cream Sandwich release.

Do note, your not the only one. I am a hard core mac/linux user. And I am X10 Staff so I account for many votes.  rofl
Michael Youngblood
Web Designer

RickM

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 05:25:13 PM »

I can' get the Rockusb driver installed.  I'm on a Windows 7 Pro 32 bit, Core i7, laptop.  I plugged the usb cable in while holding ESC and then released.  A driver installed but it does not show up as RK29 Device in Device Manager.

I tried updating the driver from the Rockusb folder but when I navigate to the Unified Driver/Rocksub/x86/win7/ folder it says "The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device.  If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for 32-bit systems."

RickM

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 04:55:46 PM »

I have tried 2 different computers.  When I connect the usb to the AirPad while holding the Esc key, the Air Pad boots and the PC installs the usual mass storage drivers.  Then the Rockchip Batch Tool cannot see the AirPad.

If I try to install the Rocksub drivers manually, by right c;icking and selecting Install, I get the message that "The INF file you selected does not support this method of installation". 

I don't know what to do next.  I've rooted Android devices before and I'm pretty familiar with the process.  Please, any ideas what is wrong?

Thank you.

RickM

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 08:40:28 PM »

To update your ROM:

1. Download AirpadUpdater.zip and 110920_002_airpad_rooted.img.  Unzip AirpadUpdater.zip.  It contains driver files and a flash program.
2. Power off your tablet
3. Hold down the ESC button and then connect the USB cable from your tablet to your computer.  Release the ESC button after the USB cable is connected.
4. If you have not already installed the Rockchip driver file, install the appropriate Windows driver from AirpadUpdater.zip.  In device manager, if you choose 'View by Connection' and navigate through the list to find USB devices, the tablet needs to appear as 'RK29 Device'.
[/quote

This process does not work.  When I Hold down the ESC button and then connect the USB cable from my tablet to my computer, the tablet boots and the computer installs the usual mas storage drivers. 

What is wrong?
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.