Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: No Root Access  (Read 23956 times)

tommy_v

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: No Root Access
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 10:59:31 PM »

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36442225/AirpadUpdater.zip
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36442225/110902_001_airpad.img
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36442225/110920_002_airpad_rooted.img

To update your ROM:

1. Download AirpadUpdater.zip and 110920_002_airpad_rooted.img.  Unzip AirpadUpdater.zip.  It contains driver files and a flash program.
2. Power off your tablet
3. Hold down the ESC button and then connect the USB cable from your tablet to your computer.  Release the ESC button after the USB cable is connected.
4. If you have not already installed the Rockchip driver file, install the appropriate Windows driver from AirpadUpdater.zip.  In device manager, if you choose 'View by Connection' and navigate through the list to find USB devices, the tablet needs to appear as 'RK29 Device'.

I'm really having a tough time with this.  I don't own any Windows machines anymore, but I do have a Windows 2000 virtual machine on my Linux box.  I can't seem to get the rockusb driver installed.  Here's what I try:

0) Fire up my windows virtual machine.  Unpack AirpadUpdater.zip.  The result is an RK Batch Tool and a Unified Driver folder.
1) power off tablet (note --- I tried both real powered off (holding down power button and powering down) and "sleep")
2) hold down the ESC button (ON THE TABLET, the right side of the rocker button on the top of the airpad)
3) Plug in the tablet, and tell the virtual machine to connect the USB removable device to the VM.
4) Release the ESC button

Windows 2000 says it's detected new hardware, and calls it "rk2918 sdk" (if just in sleep mode... if I actually power down and do this., the only difference is that the airpad shows up as "USB Device" rather than "rk2918 sdk").  It prompts me for drivers, and I navigate to the Unified/Driver/Unified Driver/Rockusb/x86/2000 directory and choose the "rockusb" inf file (the only thing it'll let me choose).  It then pauses for a second and announces "Windows was unable to locate a driver for this device." and graciously offers to let me try it all over again.

Has anyone tried the airpad update using Windows 2000 and actually gotten the driver to install properly?  Has anyone done so in a Windows 2000 running under VMware in a virtual machine on Linux?

BTW, if I right-click the "rockusb.inf" file and choose "Install" I get absolutely nothing to happen.  It doesn't appear to install anything, and gives me no error messages or dialogs at all.

It would be really wonderful to be able to update the airpad firmware on Linux without resorting to Losedows at all, but I guess that's a lot to ask for.  I'll be watching the forums with bated breath hoping to see announcements that someone's figured it out.

tommy_v

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 01:14:01 AM »

To update your ROM:

1. Download AirpadUpdater.zip and 110920_002_airpad_rooted.img.  Unzip AirpadUpdater.zip.  It contains driver files and a flash program.
2. Power off your tablet
3. Hold down the ESC button and then connect the USB cable from your tablet to your computer.  Release the ESC button after the USB cable is connected.
4. If you have not already installed the Rockchip driver file, install the appropriate Windows driver from AirpadUpdater.zip.  In device manager, if you choose 'View by Connection' and navigate through the list to find USB devices, the tablet needs to appear as 'RK29 Device'.

I'm really having a tough time with this.  I don't own any Windows machines anymore, but I do have a Windows 2000 virtual machine on my Linux box.  I can't seem to get the rockusb driver installed.  Here's what I try:

0) Fire up my windows virtual machine.  Unpack AirpadUpdater.zip.  The result is an RK Batch Tool and a Unified Driver folder.
1) power off tablet (note --- I tried both real powered off (holding down power button and powering down) and "sleep")
2) hold down the ESC button (ON THE TABLET, the right side of the rocker button on the top of the airpad)
3) Plug in the tablet, and tell the virtual machine to connect the USB removable device to the VM.
4) Release the ESC button

Windows 2000 says it's detected new hardware, and calls it "rk2918 sdk" (if just in sleep mode... if I actually power down and do this., the only difference is that the airpad shows up as "USB Device" rather than "rk2918 sdk").  
[...]

Actually, I see that it is very important that this thing be turned OFF (really off, not sleeping).  It shows up as a different vendor ID and Product ID.  When I connect the airpad to W2K with the thing powered off and the esc button held down, it connects as VID 2207 and PID 290A, which matches what is in the INF file for the driver.

Unfortunately, it matters not one whit.  Even with the device really powered off and connected with the expected VID/PID, W2K insists it can't find the driver even though I point right at the rockusb.inf file in the Rockusb/x86/2000 directory of the Unified Driver folder.

I'm still stumped.  How in the world is this supposed to work?

GOT IT!

This was weird, but I managed, through tons of googling, to find another place where someone had posted rockusb drivers.  I downloaded them, and did a Linux "diff" on the binary .sys file (it was identical) and the text .inf file --- the inf file for Windows 2000 was in fact different.  When I modified the rockusb.inf file from the X10 Airpad.zip to match the other, it did indeed install correctly.

Here's what I had to do:

Way down toward the bottom of the .inf file was this stuff:
Code: [Select]
;--------- Manufacturer and Models Sections ----------------------------------

[Manufacturer]
%MfgName% = Rockchip,NTx86,NTamd64

; DisplayName               Section           DeviceId
[Rockchip.NTx86]
%RK29_DeviceDesc%=Rockusb_DDI, USB\VID_2207&PID_290A
%RK281X_DeviceDesc%=Rockusb_DDI, USB\VID_2207&PID_281A
%RK28_DeviceDesc%=Rockusb_DDI, USB\VID_071b&PID_3228
%RKCAYMAN_DeviceDesc%=Rockusb_DDI, USB\VID_2207&PID_273A
%RK27_DeviceDesc%=Rockusb_DDI, USB\VID_071b&PID_3201
%RKCROWN_DeviceDesc%=Rockusb_DDI, USB\VID_2207&PID_261A
%RKNANO_DeviceDesc%=Rockusb_DDI, USB\VID_071b&PID_3226

The other site's rockusb.inf had this:

Code: [Select]
;--------- Manufacturer and Models Sections ----------------------------------

[Manufacturer]
%MfgName% = Rockchip,NTx86,NTamd64
[Rockchip]
; DisplayName               Section           DeviceId
[Rockchip.NTx86]

That is, the "Rockchip.NTx86" block was duplicated as a "Rockchip" block. 

Duplicating that block in the Unified Driver/Rockusb/x86/2000/rockusb.inf file STOPPED the "Windows could not find a driver for this device" error, and replaced it with a "Windows has found a driver" --- and I was then able to flash the rooted firmware!

Woo Hoo.

I have no idea if this issue fixes things for other versions of Losedows, as I don't own any other version (and God willing, never will).  But there you have it, this fixed it for me.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 12:31:30 AM by tommy_v »

Chars

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 10:48:50 PM »

I am getting no help on this driver issue either. Windows 7 64bit, rockusb will not install correctly.
Same problem as RickM.

Please help X10

XP Machine installed driver, Rooted image now installed. Now what to do?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 12:45:10 AM by Chars »

RickM

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 02:42:25 PM »

To those of you having problems updating the AirPad, here is what worked for me.  I've started with the instructions earlier in this thread and added some clarifications.  Thanks to those who tried to help. 

The tools included below will completely reflash your Airpad. Do this with a plugged in, fully charged Airpad. I haven't experimented with what happens when this process fails and nor should you! Flashing the Airpad with a new ROM will erase all data and installed programs on your Airpad! After rebooting you will be able to log into the Android Market and redownload your purchased applications.

To update your ROM:

1. Download AirpadUpdater.zip and 110920_002_airpad_rooted.img. Unzip AirpadUpdater.zip. It contains driver files and a flash program.

2. Power off your tablet.  Off, not sleeping.

3. Hold down the ESC button (the Back button on the Airpad) and then connect the USB cable from your tablet to your computer. Release the ESC button after the USB cable is connected.

4. If you have not already installed the Rockchip driver file, install the appropriate Windows driver from AirpadUpdater.zip. 

If the driver did not install upon connecting the AirPad, press the Windows key.  Right click Computer.  Choose Properties.  Click Device Manager.  Find the RK29 device.  It will probably be an Other or Unknown device.  Right click the RK29 device and choose Update Driver.  Choose Browse and navigate to the appropriate driver and install it. 
In device manager, if you choose 'View by Connection' and navigate through the list to find USB devices, the tablet needs to appear as 'RK29 Device'.

5. Run RKBatchTool.exe. If you have installed the RK29 driver and successfully connected the Airpad in flash mode then the first box in the connected devices lists will appear green.

6. Select the “…” button in the top right hand corner of the window and choose 110920_002_airpad_rooted.img.  You may have to navigate to the image files or copy them to the same directory as the RKBatchTool program.

7. Press Upgrade

8. It will take several minutes for the ROM to flash, for the Airpad to reboot and reinitialize, and then for the Airpad to reboot once more. Do not interrupt this process.

Good luck

q711179

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 03:09:54 PM »

Thanks for this information RickM.
 :)

I am accustomed to rooting android devices, and have done so to a couple of phones for various reasons; tethering, changing ROMs, etc., but am wondering what is the purpose to rooting the X10 AP.

Can you briefly explain? If it is something to do with stopping the cell standby usage I am all over it.

tommy_v

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 05:48:57 PM »

The airpad is actually already rooted, the new ROM just adds the "su" command and SuperUser.apk" so you can actually do root commands from a terminal emulator.

AFAIK, no fix for the "Cell Standby" thing has been given yet --- but X10's battery usage tests were done even though the device claims a huge fraction of battery usage from "Cell Standby." 

demolitionxpert

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 05:15:18 PM »

Any explanation why the rooted flash images were removed from circulation?  The limitations on of the Airpad are frustrating.
Through substantial testing have discovered that wifi using WEP is unusable.  Pad only works well with completely open APs.
Anyone else seeing similar symptoms?
Is there a list of supported USB-ethernet NIC devices?

everydayflyer

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 11:15:26 AM »

Reading between the lines it appears that X-10 did not have permission / license agreement  to be able to provide AP with Android Market  / the Goggle Android Experience.

X-10 it seems does not want any direct connection between them and the earlier ROM  images. They are availble if you do some exploring however.

My AP experience is that it works very well. Mine has ROM Ver. _001  the original early release one. I view NetFlix, stream movies from the Home Media Server over WiFi, do a little web surfing on it . Mine now has hundreds of hours of useage on it and no problems except the extremely short battery life which is closer to 2 1/4 Hr. than the 6 they claim.

FYI This same pad is sold under a different name for less cost if one looks hard enough.

ncshawng

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 09:17:59 PM »

Any news on this?  I'd love to be able to root this.  Are the ROM images available somewhere (they don't seem to be out there anymore).

Thanks,
Shawn

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 10:01:52 PM »

ncshawng clues to do this are found here if you look! ;)
As I tell most check my forum !
However I can't say for sure if the process will work with the newer Airpads.
The roms are still available.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

acheesehead

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2011, 05:13:54 PM »

To those of you having problems updating the AirPad, here is what worked for me.  I've started with the instructions earlier in this thread and added some clarifications.  Thanks to those who tried to help. 

The tools included below will completely reflash your Airpad. Do this with a plugged in, fully charged Airpad. I haven't experimented with what happens when this process fails and nor should you! Flashing the Airpad with a new ROM will erase all data and installed programs on your Airpad! After rebooting you will be able to log into the Android Market and redownload your purchased applications.

To update your ROM:

1. Download AirpadUpdater.zip and 110920_002_airpad_rooted.img. Unzip AirpadUpdater.zip. It contains driver files and a flash program.

2. Power off your tablet.  Off, not sleeping.

3. Hold down the ESC button (the Back button on the Airpad) and then connect the USB cable from your tablet to your computer. Release the ESC button after the USB cable is connected.

4. If you have not already installed the Rockchip driver file, install the appropriate Windows driver from AirpadUpdater.zip. 

If the driver did not install upon connecting the AirPad, press the Windows key.  Right click Computer.  Choose Properties.  Click Device Manager.  Find the RK29 device.  It will probably be an Other or Unknown device.  Right click the RK29 device and choose Update Driver.  Choose Browse and navigate to the appropriate driver and install it. 
In device manager, if you choose 'View by Connection' and navigate through the list to find USB devices, the tablet needs to appear as 'RK29 Device'.

5. Run RKBatchTool.exe. If you have installed the RK29 driver and successfully connected the Airpad in flash mode then the first box in the connected devices lists will appear green.

6. Select the “…” button in the top right hand corner of the window and choose 110920_002_airpad_rooted.img.  You may have to navigate to the image files or copy them to the same directory as the RKBatchTool program.

7. Press Upgrade

8. It will take several minutes for the ROM to flash, for the Airpad to reboot and reinitialize, and then for the Airpad to reboot once more. Do not interrupt this process.

Good luck

Has anybody got this to work with an Airpad-X? The button sequence must be different, since I can't get Windows 7 or XP to recognize the device as being a RK29 device or compatible with the Rockchip drivers.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2011, 05:28:04 PM »

Word is this won't work with the new 7 or 10 in. Airpads  :'(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

moore_tr

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 04:52:08 PM »

I just got my Airpad X a week ago, and while everything seems to work ok, there is no "su" or superuser.apk installed that I can find anywhere.  Is there someone in development that can build a ROM with these installed, and make it available?  PLEASE? I'd really appreciate it!
User of X10 products for 20 years. 31 years of computer experience from mainframes down to PCs and tablets.  Current user of X10 Airpad X running ICS 4.0.3 @ 900MHz.

fuzzynco

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 10:03:03 PM »

Looks like the 2 rom files vanished from drop box.
both files get 404 errors now. APv1 users should
be able to get root with rom 002,if it were there.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 10:04:58 PM by fuzzynco »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 08:45:05 AM »

Looks like the 2 rom files vanished from drop box.
both files get 404 errors now. APv1 users should
be able to get root with rom 002,if it were there.

Actualy the files are still available on the net if one realy wants to look.
I' ve comented on this many times.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.