Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Using Charger incorrectly causes crash  (Read 10591 times)

Tesla

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Using Charger incorrectly causes crash
« on: September 11, 2011, 05:38:03 PM »

It seems that if you disconnect or re-connect the charger at the wrong time, it will cause the machine to crash badly (like weird graphics on the screen and unable to turn off or on or even reboot).

It's like the AirPad doesn't like the charging status on the battery to change without the OS running. Might have something to do with the intelligent safety charging circuit for the lithium battery.

At the start of this crash, if you can still see the screen ... you might notice the battery icon is red with an X on it (even though the battery is mostly or fully charged). You might also observe the screen scrolling by itself (like the touch sensors are going crazy).

Once it crashes, it takes a reboot and/or a hard reset to get going again.

Edited by Tuicemen to merge second & first post with info to get it working again
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:14:10 AM by Tuicemen »

X10 Dev

• Helpful Post Rating: 19
Re: Using Charger incorrectly causes crash
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 08:56:57 PM »

This sounds like another thing I will need to test and investigate.  In the meantime, how about a workaround?

Touch Settings, then Application Settings, then Development.  Touch 'Stay Awake'. The screen won't sleep while charging.  Does this help?

Tesla

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 04:34:23 AM »

I've been trying to re-create this crash and can't. I'm just using it and the charger normally and it seems fine.

I did do a Factory Data Reset, so maybe that fixed it. That operation seemed to re-load and re-initialize the Android OS. It hasn't crashed at all since I did that. I have been more conscious about when I connect or dis-connect the charger though (like not while it's rebooting ... basic stuff like that).

Instead of taking a chance of messing it up again, since it's working now, I'm not going to try any more.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 05:57:30 PM by Tesla »

J.B.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 11:07:42 AM »

I just received my tablet and this is also happening to me.
I've tried several resets, plugging the charger in before powering on, while power is on, etc... and each time I plug the charger in the device goes haywire. Hopefully this can be fixed in an update.

Edit: I've just found if I connect the device to my PC via USB while the charger is connected this odd behavior stops.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 11:38:57 AM by J.B. »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 12:28:14 PM »

That could be a missing ground in the charger circuit that's being supplied when connected to the PC.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tesla

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 05:47:44 PM »

I just received my tablet and this is also happening to me.
I've tried several resets, plugging the charger in before powering on, while power is on, etc... and each time I plug the charger in the device goes haywire. Hopefully this can be fixed in an update.

Edit: I've just found if I connect the device to my PC via USB while the charger is connected this odd behavior stops.

See if it still does it after you get a couple of full charge/dis-charge cycles on the machine. Or the Factory Data Reset operation.

The Mini-USB connection will charge it, but only at about 0.4 amps, and only while the display is sleeping off. The real charger can charge up to 2.0 amps (which is enough to actually raise the battery level while it is on).

Immortal

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 02:47:36 PM »

I got a similar issue as well while copying files on the tablet and fully charged it just said comnect charger and it turned off  ;D and when i reswitched it it was working fine !!

fuzzynco

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 12:59:17 AM »

The Mini-USB connection will charge it, but only at about 0.4 amps, and only while the
display is sleeping off. The real charger can charge up to 2.0 amps (which is enough
to actually raise the battery level while it is on).

That's helpful know. I  was concerned about recharging without power.
I have a few battery backed and solar to USB chargers I use for phone
and NOOK color. If it will slow charge from mini-usb that's helpful.
NOOK color takes overnight to charge from 500mA USB.

thanks

J.B.

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 01:12:25 AM »

I'm still having issues with this. I've gone through several full charge/discharges of the battery, hard resets and a couple ROM flashes. I'm hoping it's just the charger and not the device itself, but couldn't find a charger with the same specs with a small enough barrel connector to try this.

Tesla

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 02:38:41 AM »

I'm still having issues with this. I've gone through several full charge/discharges of the battery, hard resets and a couple ROM flashes. I'm hoping it's just the charger and not the device itself, but couldn't find a charger with the same specs with a small enough barrel connector to try this.

Mine is outputting a constant 5.21v DC (center is positive).

Yes, I've never seen a barrel connector like this either. Only a straight-pin will fit inside (for testing voltage).

J.B.

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 08:29:29 AM »

Well, I also just tested my charger and it is putting out constant 5.27V and 1.8A so I can't see this causing my issues.
It still acts erratically if only the charger is connected but seems to charge and work properly if both the charger and micro USB are connected.  B:(

I still wish I had a universal charger with a small enough barrel connector just to double check.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 08:33:32 AM by J.B. »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 08:52:42 AM »

...I still wish I had a universal charger with a small enough barrel connector just to double check. ...
Maybe a hardware redesign is in order for the next version. Why not just charge over Micro-USB, like many other devices?

J.B.

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 09:04:53 AM »

I had hoped the device would charge via USB while in use as many other things do.
They could easily have had a wall charger with a micro USB connector similar to my Blackberry and iPod touch that way.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 12:12:06 PM »

It's a shame the users that bought these are the beta testers. ::) :'
This is just one issue of many that could have been caught prior to a release.
I guess they didn't have much participation with the last new product they beta tested.
 Having users pay(buy) a product before they beta test gets more participation and is cheaper too I guess! ::) :'

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10 Dev

• Helpful Post Rating: 19
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 07:37:18 PM »

Maybe a hardware redesign is in order for the next version. Why not just charge over Micro-USB, like many other devices?

It's a big enough battery that USB connection isn't sufficient.

Tesla said it well:
The Mini-USB connection will charge it, but only at about 0.4 amps, and only while the display is sleeping off. The real charger can charge up to 2.0 amps (which is enough to actually raise the battery level while it is on).

Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.