Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Static during WiFi transmissions  (Read 8240 times)

Tesla

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Static during WiFi transmissions
« on: September 11, 2011, 06:12:53 PM »

When the WiFi is actively sending and receiving it is causing static in the audio. You can hear it on the speakers and the heaphones. You can also hear it when the audio level is turned all the way down.

Try this ... go to YouTube and turn down the audio. You will hear the static while the pages load. If you try to watch a video, the static is in the background.

It's also evident when you stream down perfect sounding MP3s or videos from your local lan Windows shares (like with ES File Explorer). There are other apps is shows up in as well.

While reading a book, who cares ... and I don't mean to be picky, but there shouldn't be any static and distortion on digital media ... especially not locally network stored media.

It should also be noted that music and videos stored fully on the AirPad (on flash memory) sound clear and fine (no static or distortion).

Please tell me I'm wrong, or that other AirPads are not doing this. I was hoping to use this as a WiFi enabled MP3 player.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 04:50:11 AM by Tesla »

YB

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • Coders Are The Only True Evils In This World...
    • X10 WTI
Re: Static during WiFi transmissions
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 12:51:23 PM »

We are going to check into this for you
Michael Youngblood
Web Designer

Tesla

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 05:05:51 PM »

We are going to check into this for you

Thanks. It's also really notice-able in apps like Pandora and TV.com (that reply on WiFi streaming for content). During heavy transfers, the static seems to get worse.

That's why WiFi streaming from the local LAN is especially revealing as a test ... I know those MP3s and videos sound perfect, so there is no chance that the source content contains static.

First, (somebody please  :) ) verify that other AirPads are doing the same thing (and it's not just mine) and let me know here.

RickM

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 03:03:09 PM »

I plugged my Airpad into my stereo and played Pandora with no noticible static.  Tried very quiet and very loud and skipping ahead to be sure there was some downloading going on. 

Tesla

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 10:50:06 PM »

I plugged my Airpad into my stereo and played Pandora with no noticible static.  Tried very quiet and very loud and skipping ahead to be sure there was some downloading going on. 

Thanks for testing this for me.

Can you try it with the supplied headphones? Also, turn the volume on the AirPad all the way down to 0. See how quiet it is while not using WiFi. Then, start playing Pandora with the sound turned down ... I hear distortion and little noises. With the music turned up, you can still hear those noises in the background unless you have the music turned up pretty high.

It doesn't do it on all WiFi access. Like in the normal browser it doesn't seem to. It seems to need to be an "audio enabled" app like YouTube Player, Pandora, etc. Also, does it with ES File Explorer (maybe because it has a Media Player part standing by).

Your test was good, but it goes through another layer of A-D Conversion. This tends to smooth it out and erase some of it. I noticed this while trying to record it to a .wav through the PC's stereo Line-In.

I would equate it to "silence" between tracks on the FM radio or vinyl album ... where it should be more like a CD or DVD.

RickM

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 05:03:50 PM »

OK, I plugged in the earphones, turned sound to 1, and started Pandora.  I heard no static at all. 
Jumped ahead a couple of songs, turned volume off and then up 1 step at a time.

BTW, I was impressed with the sound!  Very clear, unusually good stereo effect.

Tesla

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 05:21:57 PM »

OK, I plugged in the earphones, turned sound to 1, and started Pandora.  I heard no static at all. 
Jumped ahead a couple of songs, turned volume off and then up 1 step at a time.

Thank you for testing this. I know it sounds strange, but the best way to test for it is with the audio turned down to 0 (basically Muted). The static or distortion seems to be injected after the audio processing.

I guess mine is the only bad one.

J.B.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 12:14:54 AM »

I also just tested this with several websites, apps and audio files and am getting no static.
The audio quality isn't bad at all, TBH.

Tesla

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 08:50:39 PM »

Well, it was fun while it lasted, but I had to return my AirPad ... for the following reasons.

1. During high processor utilization (like WiFi usage), EMI or other cause distortions in digital audio media playback.
- This was the main reason. I was unable to use the AP as a "wireless media player"
2. Touchscreen coming off (coming un-glued in middle at top and bottom)
3. Front camera didn't work with QR or UPC barcode apps. Not sure if it was too low res or introduced "mirror effect".

Sounds like official Android Market support was also dropped while I was processing my return. I got my refund after about 20 days, but it ended up costing me about $30 in non-refundable shipping charges.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 09:31:39 PM by Tesla »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 02:21:30 PM »

Tesla -
If they sold you a defective product, and are only giving you a partial refund, it doesn't hurt to speak to your credit card company, and see if they can help you get back at least some of the "non-refundable shipping charges." Considering the product was defective from Day 1, you shouldn't have to pay $30 just to play Quality control for them.

I wonder what percentage of the AirPads are being sent back, and of those, how many are defective (as opposed to the customer just not liking the design or features of it).

I would make the assumption that all of the ones being sent back for replacements are defective (why request a replacement for a unit that is working perfectly?), and at least some of the ones being sent back for refund are, too (and the users just don't want to bother with another one).

I'm sure we will never see those numbers, but I wonder how successful of a move it was for them to have ventured into the Tablet arena.

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 10:39:47 AM »

Actually there's plenty of choices out there with the remaining "$170 budget"   If you search the slickdeals site,  You can find postings from bargain hunters that link tablets with capacitive screens directly from China with 5 day dhl shipping for as low as $140.   Vizio is selling their 8" tablet for $190 at costco (one extra inch makes a big deal!... plus it can be used as TV remote controll)   The pricewars are starting now. There will even more under $199 choices in the coming months.    We can not link directly here according to forum rules... so I am keeping the discussion somewhat generic.  Its up to you to decide if its "better" or worse than an AirPad.   EVen buying a hp touchpad on ebay for $220 or so and putting CyanogenMod Android 2.3 version Alpha2 is possibility (of which I am doing now on mine.  Its dual core cpu!)

Well, it was fun while it lasted, but I had to return my AirPad ... for the following reasons.

1. During high processor utilization (like WiFi usage), EMI or other cause distortions in digital audio media playback.
- This was the main reason. I was unable to use the AP as a "wireless media player"
2. Touchscreen coming off (coming un-glued in middle at top and bottom)
3. Front camera didn't work with QR or UPC barcode apps. Not sure if it was too low res or introduced "mirror effect".

Sounds like official Android Market support was also dropped while I was processing my return. I got my refund after about 20 days, but it ended up costing me about $30 in non-refundable shipping charges.

Tesla

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 11:56:13 AM »

Actually there's plenty of choices out there with the remaining "$170 budget"   

No more cheap chinese tablets for me. I might get a Lenovo-A1 if they start shipping in USA.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 01:34:54 PM »

Actually there's plenty of choices out there with the remaining "$170 budget"   

No more cheap chinese tablets for me. I might get a Lenovo-A1 if they start shipping in USA.
So you're going for EXPENSIVE Chinese tablets, instead? ;)

Tesla

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 10:08:23 PM »

So you're going for EXPENSIVE Chinese tablets, instead? ;)

Ya, I guess so  ;D
But kidding aside ... from a larger company with hopefully better design and QA.

but the A1 is only $200 also. Put a nice (Class 6-10) SDHC card in there and away you go.

The wife's new iPad2 is looking pretty good right now. I thought a nice (capacitive touch) Android tablet would be cool to hack on and integrate into the home theater and HA. I had thoughts of buying several (for HA control) ... but buying a iMac to develop on has crossed my mind (and just buy less tablets).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 02:00:54 AM by Tesla »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 09:15:38 AM »

If you go for Android - check out the Motorola Xoom. It and the Samsung 10.1 Galaxy seem to be favorites.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 01:21:33 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.