Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SC1200 not transmitting to any powerhorn or lamp module  (Read 5790 times)

Tom_P

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
SC1200 not transmitting to any powerhorn or lamp module
« on: September 11, 2011, 07:29:06 PM »

Hello Everyone,

I'm an X-10 newbie.

I recently purchased a "Kit" with the Securi-Link SC1200 and assorted accessories
- Security Console (SC1200)
- 2 Smart Wireless Security Motion Detector (MS18A)
- 8 Smart Door/Window Sensor (DS12A)
- Lamp Module (LM465)
- 2 Smart Security Keyfob Remote (KR32A)
- Security Remote Control (SH624)

-I also added a Powerhorn (PH508) and two Mini-Powerhorns (SH10A)

Installation of the security part went smoothly, especially after I read the instructions. Everything appears to be working perfectly except for the Powerhorns (all) and the lamp module. It appears to me that the security console (SC1200) is not transmitting any signals over the wiring to activate any of the Powerhorns or lamp module.

I've experimented with various combinations of House Codes and unit numbers. I set the Light Code on the console and on the alarms to A-3 for example but nothing will trigger them. I've tried to troubleshoot by selecting "3" and then hitting "on". I've tried alternating security light off/on, etc. And of course, actually arming the system and then opening a door sets off the internal alarm on the console, but never triggers to Powerhorns or lamp module.

I've placed all items on the same wall plug as the SC1200 - that doesn't help. I've tried to trigger them from the remote key fob; no luck. I've tried to trigger them from the SH624 Remote Control. No luck. Both of these of course work fine in arming, disarming, panic alarm, etc. I tried alternating the lights and/or module 3 buttons on/off repeatedly from both remote devices but still this does not trigger the lamp module or the powerhorns.

Very frustrating...I really do need a louder siren (than the one in the SC1200 console) - I can live without the lamp module.

I've seen other posts reporting that the SC1200 console just doesn't work with the powerhorns. Is this true? If so, is there a work-around? Since I can't even trigger the lamp module I don't think buying an appliance module and using it to power a loud siren will work any better.

Is it possible that the SC1200 is faulty? If so, is there any way to test this, short of sending everything back?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Tom

Tom_P

Re: SC1200 not transmitting to any powerhorn or lamp module
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 07:42:51 PM »

BTW, the large Powerhorn PH508 has a lot sticker of "10L52" on the back. The mini-Powerhorn SH10A has a "10I39" sticker - if this is any help.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 07:48:12 PM »

Setting the House Code and Light Code {Unit dial on X10 modules} and the modules you tried to the same House and Unit Code.
Should make them work.

Trying just the lamp module in the same outlet as the power brick from the SC1200, should have worked.
Pushing the unit number button on the front of the console and then the On or Off button should have turned the modules On and Off.

Is the console on the same circuit as a computer or UPS?

Try moving both the consloe and test lamp module to different outlets and circuits. On the off chance where you have it. There is a serious noise maker or signal sucker.

Is the SH624's House Code Dial set to the same House Code set in the console?
If the test module is set to units 1-4 the corresponding button on the SH624 should turn it On and Off.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 07:52:45 PM »

There are mixed results with the Powerhorns.
10L52 on the PH508 should work if set to the House and Light Code or Light Code+1 set in the console.
With one small quirk. It may sound for fours cycles then stop for a few seconds. Then start the process all over again.

I have not done much testing with the SH10A so others may have better details.

I can say. If you can not control the lamp module with X10 power line signals. The Powerhorns will not work either. As both the lamp modules and PowerHorns. Use the same X10 power line commands to operate.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 07:54:48 PM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 07:58:24 PM »

Another thought.
You may want to look at the small power jack in the console and verify all four contacts are straight and able to contact the mating surface of the supplies plug. One of the pins is the power line transmit control signal to the power supply. Where the actual power line transmitter is.

Tom_P

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 09:42:52 PM »

For Brian H:
I have tried already tried almost everything you suggest. I read through previous posts about this problem and tried everything that was mentioned. And yes, I've made sure that all items are on the same house code, and Light code.

The system is installed at my beach cabin, so I won't be back for a week to try the Light code set to "1" on the console and on the horns and lamp module. I've tried A,B, and C, and unit codes 2,3,4,13 without effect. I will also take a close look at the power jack to verify that all four contacts are straight. I've already moved the console and horns to about 5 different locations (and different circuits) in the cabin - on the same outlet, actually right next to each other. No computer exists, and I'm not using power strips.

Thanks for all of your suggestions - I'll keep trying and if I get it figured out, I'll post it.

Tom

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 06:01:47 AM »

OK. Keep us informed.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 11:43:18 PM »

Thinking this is a first! Never heard of them not working at all, I've heard about the pauses through, back to the drawing board with this thing!!  B:(

Tom j.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:41:33 PM by tom j »

Tom_P

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 11:58:04 PM »

O.K. this has now been solved - it was a bad SC1200 control panel. Apparently it was doing everything it was supposed to do except transmit signals over the house wiring.

I had purchased two of the 19-piece security kits, one for the beach cabin and one for my residence. The unit in my residence was working properly, i.e. it was triggering both models of PowerHorns. So, in an experiment, I took the working SC1200 to the cabin - and this unit now successfully triggers the Powerhorns there (that previously wouldn't make a sound). So, it was a bad SC1200.

I called support at the Home Automation Store, where I had purchased both kits on-line. They were very, very nice; they're sending out a replacement unit and a label for me to send the bad unit back to them.

Thank you everyone for responding with your suggestions.
Tom

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 06:01:18 AM »

Thank you for the update.
So it was a bad console or included power supply where the transmitter is.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.