Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM15a with wi-fi/internet?  (Read 3889 times)

emil

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
CM15a with wi-fi/internet?
« on: September 13, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »

Is there a device with the functionality of a CM15a or equivalent but with a WiFi/internet connection?
I'd like to remotely control my devices over the internet without having to leave on a PC.

Thanks
ActiveHomePro 3.310
SmartMacros 3.310

wyx2000

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: CM15a with wi-fi/internet?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 02:10:23 PM »

Is there a device with the functionality of a CM15a or equivalent but with a WiFi/internet connection?
I'd like to remotely control my devices over the internet without having to leave on a PC.

Thanks

Not hard to build one, and cheap, as you can get a remote ip camera with building web site with a cheap price. But I guess X10 is always busy in sending junk emails and don't have time to develop their product.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 04:20:44 PM »

Not hard to build one, and cheap, as you can get a remote ip camera with building web site with a cheap price. But I guess X10 is always busy in sending junk emails and don't have time to develop their product.
If you build it ... they will come.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 08:39:16 PM »

A 14 year old kid had developed one.... 3 or maybe 4 years ago.. during his summer vacation. He had hoped to sell some units as a summer job. I think he was using txt messages as the control method.

I would be nice to use a melloware style smartphone/AirPad software to connect to the CM15A without running a Home Automation PC.

I also wonder... if an Apple ipod (touch) or Android AirPad type device could replace the HA PC. So much more can be done with even just a tiny bit more computer power. I wonder if a tablet or similar device could be the interface between the CM15A and the Internet. Repacing the HA Computer, becoming the interface, and maybe even serving as a Home Automation touchscreen, all... at the same time.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 08:44:41 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 08:56:46 PM »

Sounds like it would be simpler to develop a separate box with an embedded web server that would connect to the CM15A via the USB cable, and have the WiFi and wired network connections. Let the device do all the work of hosting the interface, etc, and just control the CM15A via the USB cable.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 09:53:40 PM »

Sounds like it would be simpler to develop a separate box with an embedded web server that would connect to the CM15A via the USB cable, and have the WiFi and wired network connections. Let the device do all the work of hosting the interface, etc, and just control the CM15A via the USB cable.

Yeah.... that makes sense. But then could still develop (someone else NOT me) a control software (maybe using the CM15A SDK) that runs on a tablet.... or maybe even just a smartphone (for a remote).
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.