Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is there still a Calibration routine?  (Read 7355 times)

aspgdaw

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Is there still a Calibration routine?
« on: September 13, 2011, 08:09:18 PM »

My screen is not working correctly.  A touch is either ignored or registered incorrectly.  The booklet says to press the ESC key for 3 seconds and a calibration routine will launch but no joy on that, nothing happens.
Also sometimes the screen gets jittery and half of it begins to do scroll up and down ramdomly.
I've tried a hard reset and just not having any luck at all.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tesla

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Re: Is there still a Calibration routine?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 08:45:12 PM »

Also sometimes the screen gets jittery and half of it begins to do scroll up and down ramdomly.
I have also seen this behavior.

In my experiences, it's one of the things it does while it is crashing down. While I haven't seen this problem or a crash lately, some of my early crashes seemed to have something to do with the charger (see my other thread).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 04:40:01 PM by Tesla »

X10 Dev

• Helpful Post Rating: 19
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 08:49:41 PM »

I haven't seen this at all.  If you plug in, reset and charge the airpad, does it get better?  (E.g., is this some sort of battery problem).  Can you use the tablet enough to navigate to an application?  I will look into calibration options for you.

aspgdaw

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 10:53:19 PM »

After a reset (using a paperclip to push button) it will run stable for a few minutes but not long enough for me to even set up my WIFI connection.  It seems to be a linear progression into just ignoring my touches.  It also seems that the lower left corner of the screen seems to be "hot" at times, meaning if there is a button or ICON touch point at or near that location it gets activated repeatedly.  Another behavior is when I have a list of items to select from (like when you launch SETUP) I touch a line, it lights up but what launches (what is selected) is the item two items down.    Is this just bad hardware?  It has never worked correctly. 
FYI:  Not a charger or battery problem.  I have left it plugged in thru this whole mess.

X10 Dev

• Helpful Post Rating: 19
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 11:40:22 PM »

After a reset (using a paperclip to push button) it will run stable for a few minutes but not long enough for me to even set up my WIFI connection.  It seems to be a linear progression into just ignoring my touches.  It also seems that the lower left corner of the screen seems to be "hot" at times, meaning if there is a button or ICON touch point at or near that location it gets activated repeatedly.  Another behavior is when I have a list of items to select from (like when you launch SETUP) I touch a line, it lights up but what launches (what is selected) is the item two items down.    Is this just bad hardware?  It has never worked correctly. 
FYI:  Not a charger or battery problem.  I have left it plugged in thru this whole mess.

This sounds like a hardware problem.  It is certainly not anything we've seen here on our Airpads.  You can send it back in and we'll ship a new one out to you.

I know there are a number of people out there who have been waiting patiently a long time for their Airpad, but thankfully that wait is almost over.  We will be caught up very soon.

aspgdaw

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 01:12:08 AM »

Sigh!

I will call tomorrow for an RMA to return it.

aspgdaw

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 01:45:05 PM »

Excuse me while I peddle backwards on my tricycle!

This may be a battery/charger problem after all.  I was prepping the unit to return as defective and after unplugging I thought I try one more time. 

WOW!  Big difference.  It worked perfectly.  Screen touches were smooth and dependable.  Screen was rock stable with no jitters. 

Only problem I had was learning how to scroll a list of selection lines without selecting one.  You should probably add UP/DOWN arrows to scrollable list to allow scrolling one page at a time.  This would be much better for lugs with big fingers like mine.  I often found "flicking" the page to scroll it caused several pages to fly past or a line was randomly selected by mistake.  An example would be setting the time zone to CST.  I had a devil of a time getting to the right line and getting it selected.

So, on charger it screws up and runs like crap but unplug and reboot and it works great.  Go figure.

I hope this can be fixed in firmware.  If this is a hardware problem I want to get in line for a replacement when you guys get it sorted out and a new revision is issued.    I believe the thing ought to work the same whether it is plugged on or not.

Jeff M

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 02:07:32 PM »

It may be a cheap unfiltered charger that comes with the AirPad.  My phone exhibits a similar behavior.  When on the charger that came with the phone, the screen is smooth and responds properly to my finger movements.  When I use a cheap $3 charger that I purchased, the screen has a mind of its own and decides whether or not it wants to respond to my finger movements.  I unplug the cheap charger and the phone works properly again.  If this is the behavior of all AirPads when being charged, then it seems that a recall and replacement of all of the chargers is in order.   

Tesla

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 04:55:47 PM »

So, on charger it screws up and runs like crap but unplug and reboot and it works great.  Go figure.

Maybe try fully charging the battery, unplug charger, reboot, and make sure it's working good and stable.

Then, do a "Factory Data Reset" (it's in Privacy). Write down what Apps you installed first, because if I remember correctly, it re-initializes the OS, and the AirPad returns to like we first got them.

See my other charger thread.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.