Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2 Port RS232 Serial over IP Ethernet Device Server  (Read 13553 times)

Dave4720

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
2 Port RS232 Serial over IP Ethernet Device Server
« on: September 14, 2011, 12:25:50 PM »

Anyone have experience with: StarTech.com 2 Port RS232 Serial over IP Ethernet Device Server

Find at: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Serial-Ethernet-Device-NETRS232_2/dp/B0001MKU5W

I am running (at least) two CM11As, located in a wiring closet.  I'd love this solution.  Rather than hauling out the laptop and cords, I could run these two ports to the CM11As at hit them over my existing network  - even wireless from the other house (same network).

Anyone use this or similar?

On a related topic, for a reasonable contribution from one or more interested parties, I will agree to be a Beta tester and share all my implementation results.  ;D

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: 2 Port RS232 Serial over IP Ethernet Device Server
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 12:44:41 PM »

Don't spend anywhere near that amount of money. You can buy two ethernet-serial adapters for about $25 each and accomplish the same thing. Here's one...

While I haven't used it for a CM11A, I do have one and can tell you it's an excellent choice for almost any ethernet-serial conversion one may need. I suggest you read the documentation thoroughly before deciding if it fits your needs.

You will also need com port redirector software running on your PC. The first link is to a commercial program - just read it to understand what it does. The second link is for numerous free redirector programs. I cannot help here as I write my own applications and send TCP/IP directly.

And, on related topic, you can send me half the money I just saved you. >!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 01:01:39 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: 2 Port RS232 Serial over IP Ethernet Device Server
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 12:55:07 PM »

You may want to check the adapter and make sure it supports RI {Ring Indicate pin9}. As the CM11A has a RI signal to the outside world.

Dave4720

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
Re: 2 Port RS232 Serial over IP Ethernet Device Server UPDATE: Works!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 12:12:36 PM »

Went ahead and bought the StarTech.com 2 Port RS232 Serial over IP Ethernet Device Server.  It was less costly as the link I provided - that was full retail from the manufacturer.

I appreciate the other suggestions on a less costly approach, but those felt like they might turn into an engineering project, and I have had too many engineering projects lately, I just wanted ‘plug-n-play’.

Well, the end result is it went extremely smooth.  I installed interface box in my wiring closet and connected it to my network.  I then installed the virtual ports on my computer.

Now I can ‘hit’ the CM11As through my network, even wirelessly, without having to bring the CM11A to the laptop or bring the laptop to the CM11A.

ActiveHome thinks it’s talking to an RS-232 port, and the CM11A is fooled as well.

I have two CM11As for various functions - I ‘hit” one via Com1 and the other via Com2.  I ‘select’ which one I want with a direct .REG file that changes the registry and loads ActiveHome, but that’s another discussion.

My laptop has no RS-232 native ports, and this also eliminates USB to RS-232 adaptors.

As far as remote access, I can remotely access the CM11A from as far away as Cat-5 will allow, much farther than RS-232 or USB.  And wireless is a plus as well.

Yeah, kinda ‘spensive (would be less with a single Com1), but sometimes it’s worth throwing $$$ at a solution that just works.

Just FYI for everyone ...

Kamextemy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
2 Port RS232 Serial over IP Ethernet Device Server
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 04:47:49 AM »

Since the wifi attachment is really just a wifi serial port, would there be a way to get an ethernet serial port working with an FTDI adapter or something to attach to the multipin plug on the bottom of the RA?

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.