Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bad WIFI connection  (Read 7274 times)

Immortal

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Bad WIFI connection
« on: September 16, 2011, 10:02:29 AM »

I was wondering why my Airpad wifi reception is very weak that 2 rooms away from the router i cant connect and keeps disconnecting? , is there anyone else facing this problem? and how i can solve it as its really annoying my laptop says very good connection and the Airpad is zero!!  ??? 

DemDave

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: Bad WIFI connection
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 10:53:19 AM »

Probably because it's cheaper hardware than your laptop.

Depending on your home's layout, you can always try the 'ol beer can trick. It'll give you a little signal boost, but only in the the direction the beer can's pointing. Info here: http://www.cnx-software.com/2011/09/15/can-a-beer-can-really-boost-your-wifi-router-signal/

Tesla

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 05:56:23 PM »

I was wondering why my Airpad wifi reception is very weak that 2 rooms away from the router i cant connect and keeps disconnecting? , is there anyone else facing this problem? and how i can solve it as its really annoying my laptop says very good connection and the Airpad is zero!!  ??? 

Yes, it's not very strong as compared to my laptop. Remember that the radio, power, antenna, etc. is all smaller/lower.

The little icon is lame. Try loading the free app WiFi Analyzer. Note:
1. Signal strength
2. Distance from Router
3. Number of Walls

... I can try to simulate yours and we can compare.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 06:26:01 PM »

Just wondering.... is both your laptop and router older ones? I know that newer devices are always backwards compatible... but sometimes with limits.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tesla

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 08:41:13 PM »

Just wondering.... is both your laptop and router older ones? I know that newer devices are always backwards compatible... but sometimes with limits.

Linksys WRT54G_v6 (Basic 802.11-g router)
Dell Precision M65 - Intel Mobile Core2 Duo dual-core (Centrino Duo) with Intel 3945 802.11a/g Dual band WiFi
- So, mine are both about the vintage

The M65 laptop says it's connected at 54 Mbps and the signal is "Very Good" and sometimes jumps to "Excellent"

The AirPad is reading -70dBm to -65dBm (lower is better). These are both basically on the other side of the house from the router.

Install WiFi Analyzer and switch to Signal Meter view. standing 4 ft away from router in same room gives me perfect -40dBm green on the AirPad. For every 10-20ft of distance and/or another wood/sheetrock wall ... add about -5dBm

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 09:02:29 PM »

Linksys WRT54G_v6 (Basic 802.11-g router)
Dell Precision M65 - Intel Mobile Core2 Duo dual-core (Centrino Duo) with Intel 3945 802.11a/g Dual band WiFi
...... These are both basically on the other side of the house from the router.

Yep... a basic old router I looked it up here: http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/wireless-g-broadband-router/4505-3319_7-20796906.html The review even says: The bad: Short operating range compared to that of 802.11b; mixing 802.11b and Wireless-G clients results in poor 802.11b performance

Any chance the router could be moved (closer to where the AirPad and laptop are used)? Could a Wii or other gaming device also be connecting and using bandwidth? Or... maybe its time to keep an eye out for a router sale. New TV's even connect wirelessly now.

Another thought: Often people never update the routers firmware once they are installed and working. You might want to consider updating the firmware at the Linksys Web Site.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:12:29 PM by HA Dave »

Tesla

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 05:42:50 PM »

Yep... a basic old router I looked it up here: http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/wireless-g-broadband-router/4505-3319_7-20796906.html The review even says: The bad: Short operating range compared to that of 802.11b; mixing 802.11b and Wireless-G clients results in poor 802.11b performance
Any chance the router could be moved (closer to where the AirPad and laptop are used)? Could a Wii or other gaming device also be connecting and using bandwidth? Or... maybe its time to keep an eye out for a router sale. New TV's even connect wirelessly now.
Another thought: Often people never update the routers firmware once they are installed and working. You might want to consider updating the firmware at the Linksys Web Site.

Dave, thanks ... those are good tips for people new to networking and/or WiFi.

That link is for the older version of that router. This is a version 6. The router is running the latest firmware. I run it in G-Only-Mode because nobody needs B any more. The router is fine because it works with all the other wired and wireless laptop clients. It's installed in the wiring closet with the modem and ethernet switches. I also need coverage on that side of the house. If anything, I will install an access point on this side of the house.

I only posted to let the OP know that I was seeing the same reduced WiFi range with the AirPad. I don't think it's broken ... just smaller antenna and lower power. I noticed the same behavior at the public WiFi hot-spot at the local McDonald's.

Immortal

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 02:40:45 PM »

I tried wifi analyzer and its kinda helping i tried to change the wifi channel and made it bettter but still ..... thnx for help

YB

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • Coders Are The Only True Evils In This World...
    • X10 WTI
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 05:11:39 PM »

Update: I have not been able to recreate this problem as of yet. I have a few more things to try.
Michael Youngblood
Web Designer

Tesla

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 11:03:16 PM »

Well, I had a new Netgear "N" router in the box (as a spare) so I thought I would go ahead and install it as the main router as see if it made a difference.

While the laptop doesn't seem to have a problem with it (works fine here in the office), the AirPad connection got even worse and more un-stable. Now it often disconnects. WiFi Analyzer reports the signal is much lower.

Not looking for help ... just thought you might like to know how a "newer router" works.

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 07:24:25 AM »

Not looking for help ... just thought you might like to know how a "newer router" works.
Wow. Thanks for sharing. I am sure I am not the only person following this thread.

Of course... if I had any new ideas I'd offer them up (even though you posted your not looking for help)... but I have nothing. You seem to be on top of this, however. Whereas this is merely a very intersting tidbit of info for me... it must be a pain in the behind for you. Thanks again for keeping us in the loop.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:30:05 AM by HA Dave »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.