Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: wireless radio  (Read 4646 times)

Tully

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
wireless radio
« on: September 19, 2011, 04:27:47 PM »

Greetings
Wonder if you could help. I am currently working aboard in a basic country with low technology, I brought a DAB radio with me but they do not have digital radio in this country so it’s useless an internet radio or iPod is no good because only a few areas of the country have any form of internet and this is not even broadband only dial up. B:(
I am posting this from a friends some twenty miles away. The one major city the capital does have internet but I am four hours from the this city and so have no internet.
Good news is I do have satellite which sends UK TV stations and UK Radio stations to my TV in the lounge. However I like to sit in the room next door a conservatory and would love to listen to the radio stations in that room.
I don’t really want to have the TV on all day can I get something a speaker or some unit that would allow me to do this, by cable or wireless from sat box any suggestions PLEASE.
Thanks Tully

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: wireless radio
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 05:53:06 PM »

What does this have to do with X10 Home Automation?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 06:27:45 PM »

I don’t really want to have the TV on all day can I get something a speaker or some unit that would allow me to do this, by cable or wireless from sat box any suggestions
Not clear what you are asking for, but...At one time X10 had a product which might have met your requirements. I think it was the Lola Music System. But X10 doesn't make it any more. They do have a Video/ Audio sender system that could get music from your satellite tuner wirelessly to another TV or stereo system a short distance away.

http://www.x10.com/promotions/vk82a_hps_wireless_tv.html?TWENTY11nav
http://www.x10.com/promotions/entertainment_n.html?TWENTY11

I don't think what you are looking for is here.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »

X10 Europe has a few senders that would have the proper power connections as ours is 120 Volts 60Cy. Would also meet the proper sending frequencies allowed.
http://www.x10europe.com/he/av.htm

Marmitek also has a few different video and audio senders also.
http://www.marmitek.com/en/

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 07:37:44 PM »

... can I get something a speaker or some unit that would allow me to do this, by cable or wireless from sat box ...
I would think that a simple audio splitter off the back of the cable box, run to a simple wired remote speaker should do the trick, wouldn't it?

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 10:47:58 AM »

I would think that a simple audio splitter off the back of the cable box, run to a simple wired remote speaker should do the trick, wouldn't it?

:)%
Yes, I didn't pick-up on the OP last line where "cable" and "wireless" was mentioned. Request was pretty convoluted and I did not KISS it. Thanks!

Tully

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 02:26:17 PM »

Dear Dave and Brian,
Guys thank you so much for info sorry if posted in wrong place, I have to split the cable with an audio splitter is that right ? sorry if I seem dumb blonde but thats what I am.
 X Tully

luke03

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 05:15:38 PM »

You could purchase a FM transmitter on eBay for $50 and setup your own FM radio station there. For 5W power, it can cover 10 miles diameter range, that is probably the whole villege or a small town.  You can set certain time to make local news report on it. I am sure you will find listeners there!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 06:12:31 PM »

I am sure the local authorities would love a pirate radio station and come knocking on your door.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 06:25:17 PM »

I have to split the cable with an audio splitter is that right ? sorry if I seem dumb blonde but thats what I am.
 X Tully
rofl

Tully, you are doing fine. I just did not read you post well. Yes, a audio splitter with cables running to some type of powered speaker system would be the simple solution. The posted link is the wireless solution. Probably powered computer speakers is the simplest/cheapest self powered speakers available. Computer speakers would likely need a male RCA to female miniature (1/8 inch) headphone connector

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 07:48:57 AM »

....... I have to split the cable with an audio splitter is that right ?

The back of your satelite box should have "audio out" plugs. Those plugs should be what are called "RCA" plugs, they look like the examples below, and use the familar red and white audio plugs (also below). The satelite box will have the "female" or receiver part/side of the plug.... while cables generally have the pronged or "male" side. If you could find a couple speakers with the RCA plugs (or even wires connected with plugs on the ends) like the computer speakers dave w mentioned... then you should be able to run the music from just the satelite receiver. 20 foot extention cables with RCA plugs are available... as are the male to female couplers. Running a few feet of (RCA audio) cable sorta seems to fit the level of tech available to you.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 08:06:27 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 08:21:06 AM »

Computer speakers (electric powered ones that use the local current would be best) most often have a "mini-jack" (see below) like an MP3 player would. The powered spakers have volume control... with a built-in amplifier... VERY handy. So... what you will likely need is the RCA male plugs (to plug into the sitelite box) that converts to a "female" minijack for the powered computer speakers. Plus enough audio cable to get the speaker to where you will listen to the music.

These plugs/cables are often found around MP3 and ipod accessories/supplies.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 08:23:11 AM by HA Dave »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 09:06:38 AM »

Battery powered speakers may be a better option.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 09:24:06 AM »

Battery powered speakers may be a better option.

Maybe.... if it was me... here in the USA my solutions would be different. I guess what I was really doing was offering up "Audio Cables 101". So now Tully has the knowledge base to understand the options she finds available at the local stores. Thats why I used pictures... as well. Sure it isn't X10 but what the heck.

I even thought about explaining how the audio cables are just two wires (for each side or channel). With the center wire being the carrier of the audio signal... and the other wire being the outer shield or ground. And in a pinch any cheap speaker wire (and a little tape) could allow her to wire up any old speaker in the next room.  :'
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:30:05 AM by HA Dave »

Tully

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 02:01:14 AM »

#:) Hi Guys,
 I just wanted to send you all my heart thanked appreciation IT WORKED. I can now listen to radio from home. A friend of mine she is a Brit. is going to drive me the 7 hours up to the border next week where we can buy the extension plugs I need to feed it though the wall and another set top so I can listen in the kitchen. Again so pleased I cannot say have been here couple of years listening to local or the controlled state radio drive you nuts guys. Realized my mistake in posting to x10 site so sorry but thanks for helping me when I come home will  look into x10 been looking at the you tube on the system interesting, thanks again   :-*   xxxx Tully
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.