Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Anyone use WebIO?  (Read 3948 times)

emil

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Anyone use WebIO?
« on: September 28, 2011, 07:12:38 AM »

Just looking for some feedback, looks pretty cool at a reasonable price.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 07:36:59 AM by emil »
ActiveHomePro 3.310
SmartMacros 3.310

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Anyone use WebIO?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 11:33:39 AM »

Just looking for some feedback, looks pretty cool at a reasonable price.

I've never heard of it! Maybe I am just getting old... or drifting out of touch (although I even try to keep up with that face-twitting stuff and all that). Maybe you could include a link for us that are out of touch.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

emil

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 11:40:02 AM »

Didn't want my post to be misconstrued as advertising but since you ask.

http://www.webio.us/

I did order the v2 so I guess I'll be answering my own question :).
ActiveHomePro 3.310
SmartMacros 3.310

B.A.

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 12:17:49 PM »

Very cool! I may have to try.

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 01:09:27 PM »

I use a Home Automation computer now. I think... for us that require a computer to control our setups.... a software solution is all that is needed. The computers already have the needed hardware. There are already two or three software products designed to control X10 via the Web (including one from X10)

What I have been hoping for is an X10 Android AHP software. Something that would allow me to replace the HA computer with a tablet connected directly to the CM15A, or maybe just a CM19A. Then I could use the tablet as ether a remote or mounted touchscreen to control my X10 setup, as well as remotely access my setup using a PC, laptop, Tablet, or smartphone via the Web.

Of course the advantages would be huge! Besides replacing a energy eating computer....  the tablet could normally display weather reports, facebook posts, email notices, maybe even camera views (or use a screensaver that cycled through several such selections). And still be at-the-ready for automation uses locally or remotely. Wouldn't that be cool on a endstand, nightstand, or mounted on a wall.

Of course... there isn't such a product... yet. And my Dad did have a saying about... "filling up a hand with wishes". But I believe X10 has the power to make this happen... and maybe other programmer/X10 users do as well... so I will keep requesting it.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 01:22:52 PM by HA Dave »

emil

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 01:27:12 PM »

I just didn't want to leave on the PC besides the CM15a does everything I need.
I wanted the ability to look through my self hosting cameras and send a command if necessary.
ActiveHomePro 3.310
SmartMacros 3.310

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 08:41:23 PM »

... the CM15a does everything I need. I wanted the ability to look through my self hosting cameras and send a command if necessary.

Makes sense to me! I have nothing against the WebIO. I like having all the options I can get... and the WebIO certainly seems to be a good option.

You can do a lot with just a CM15A. But an actual processor is really an automation game changer. It seems as though everyone uses automation in different ways and for different reasons. Expanded control is a primary reason many like to automate.

Timers are the first step in turning control over to a machine. Adding different sensors and conditional macros (like a light comes on when it is dark outside AND the TV is turned ON) really forces a thought process out of the computer. Not everyone finds computer controlled automation all that desireable. I understand and accept that. But... for me... I'd prefer a machine/computer/AI (Artificial Intelligence) to control my automation. Of course... we aren't completely there yet... and unfortunately it does require running a computer 24/7 at this point.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 01:10:50 PM by HA Dave »

luke03

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 01:18:22 PM »

I use a similar product called WebControl, that has built-in web server, also programmable to control not just X10, but other I/Os.

kenrad

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 10:43:05 PM »

Ive never heard of  it but it definately looks cool.  please update us on your findings with webio it is something that I might consider in the near future.

Kenrad >!

emil

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 08:28:05 AM »

Got WebIO up and running.
Very simple to get going, works amazingly well.
The only thing I wish it had more of are "Labeled" devices, you are limited to 8.
You can send it X10 codes directly however so you're pretty much unlimited in that respect.
All in all 95/100 rating from me, it works awesome!
ActiveHomePro 3.310
SmartMacros 3.310

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.