Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Contecting to Local Network  (Read 4433 times)

pohs

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Contecting to Local Network
« on: September 21, 2011, 07:40:12 PM »

Just got my AirPad and after charging for 4 hours now trying to connect to my router and can't bring up the virtual keyboard.
Airpad finds my network and when I select it, there is pop-up for network Password and can't find the icon for virtual keyboard.

I'm 75 years old and eye sight not that good - so be kind

pohs

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Contecting to Local Network
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 08:29:58 PM »

OK, dumb, dumb, dumb! Sorry to waste your time, I found that all I needed was to click on the text box (password) and the keyboard would pop up. B:(

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 09:06:31 PM »

dumb, dumb, dumb

No, no, no. A new device... with an different (and changing) operating system. Will be little new things to discover. Hows the network signal strength... or WiFi reception with the new AirPad?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

everydayflyer

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 01:50:22 PM »

Belkin Surf    gives me approx. 150 feet range solid enough to stream from Netflix. Signal a bit better than with my 4 year old Dell laptop but not as good as my new Gateway laptop.

everydayflyer

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 02:10:42 PM »

Should have posted that  Router is a Belkin  Surf N300 and perhaps mention range even to AirPPad  is better than my other X-10 devices.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 08:02:05 PM »

There is a ton of variables that can effect RF range. Actually I would guess that RF range is one of... if not the most common... reason for an X10 post. I wouldn't expect that to change with the addition of the AirPad. Since WiFi also uses the old 2.4 GHz camera frequency that X10 used... there might even be a little conflit there.

We should consider a sticky of WiFi (2.4 GHz) devices that could be overlooked when tracking down a minor reception problem. Devices like a BlueTooth headset,... or a cellphone looking for a headset, wireless devices like keyboards and mouses(?)... mice(?), a video game unit (my Wii connects via WiFi), many baby monitors (and intercoms) use 2.4... some are even digitally secure. I have read that some appliances supposedly connect to the manufacture via Wifi and the Web for updates and checkups (although I've never actually seen that).

Then... when we consider the things in a home that can block or absorb RF signals like metal lath (under plaster or stucco), large metal objects like metal doors, refrigerators, metal file cabinets, or even a bad CFL, and so on and so forth.........

I am sure the AirPads reception is fine.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.