Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Truck camper backup system...  (Read 8155 times)

inhaliburton

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Truck camper backup system...
« on: September 24, 2011, 11:39:55 AM »

Hi there, first time poster.

I did some looking but could not find much.

I have a 2010 GMC Sierra 1500 pickup truck and a slide-in camper.

Has anyone used X-10 products to help line up the truck with the camper and assist with backing into the camper?

Also, for using as a rear-view camera to see what's going on behind the truck while backing up, similar idea to those that are mounted on license plate?

I have a Motorola Zoom 10" Android tablet that I would like to incorporate into the system either via WiFi or using a cable plugged into the Xoom.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards, Paul.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Truck camper backup system...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 02:20:40 PM »

Well it would probably work better than the tennis ball on-a-stick device.

I have not tried, but you are not the first to wonder. I remember a comment or question about using a X10 wireless cam for rear view camera on a 5th wheel camper.

My $0.02 is to just get a backup camera kit. If you do not have a GPS, you can get GPS with video input and a wireless licence plate TV camera combo for about $150 off Ebay. Easy to install, the camera is wireless and connects to the backup lights power.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

inhaliburton

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 07:49:09 PM »

Thanks, Dave w, I suspect that's what 95% do. However, I'm a little surprised though, if nobody has implemented X-10 stuff. Seems like a natural. Perhaps someone will chime in with some info.

Regards, Paul.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 10:03:20 PM »

Thanks, Dave w, I suspect that's what 95% do. However, I'm a little surprised though, if nobody has implemented X-10 stuff. Seems like a natural. Perhaps someone will chime in with some info.

Regards, Paul.

Since the X10 protocol was for powerline signals, it was intended for house/building installations, not motor vehicles.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 06:52:41 AM »

All of the X10 devices are timed to the AC waveform sent on the power lines and will not work in a vehicle.
Wireless and wired cameras maybe able to be hacked into a vehicle as they run on DC.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 05:39:51 PM »

Yeah someone might. But I think the original poster about using X10 is long gone. Like Brian said, since the camera and receiver works on 12V DC power won't be a problem. But, one of the most common complaints about the cameras is poor light sensitivity, even the B&W "low light".   So do all your "hitchenup" in broad daylight.  :D

darkstarz

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • USMC - Semper Fi - Once a Marine, Always a Marine
    • Darkstarz World
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 01:42:10 PM »

Power won't be an issue if you simply use the battery power adapter for the X10 camera's which will work for your needs. You won't be using it for an extended period of time, so you won't wear down the battery life very fast.
  As for being able to view the video portion, use on of the portable DVD players with the video input connectors built in to it, or you can pay a little more and purchase the vehicle DVD players that have it as well. Then all you have to do is come up with the power source for the receiver that'll plug in to the DVD which can be easily done as well. Radio Shack, Best Buy as well as o ther places sell cheap (cost wise) converters that will convert your DC to AC that plugs in to your cigarette lighter, that won't drain your truck battery or harm anything in the electrical system.
  In all, it's really quite a simple setup, and not that expensive, just a bit time consuming to whip it all together.

Larry S.
http://www.darkstarz.com
The impossible we do immediately,
Miracles may take us a day longer.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 02:23:17 PM »

It seems it would be simpler to use a WIRED camera, even with the added work of having to run a sire from the back of the camper to the cab.
A few years ago I bought a small wired camera, with true night-vision capabilities, at Home Depot for about $50.
It uses a long 4-conductor modular cable to attach the camera and the plugs at the other end, and it runs on dc power (I think it was either 9 or 12V.
seems like it wouldn't be all that hard to power that up off the trucks electrical system (with the appropriate DC-DC adapter), and you can pipe the video output from the camera right to a small screen (it has RC outputs for the video, and the built-in Mic).

I don't remember who made it, but I've seen plenty cameras just like it online over the years.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 05:37:35 PM »

It seems it would be simpler to use a WIRED camera, even with the added work of having to run a sire from the back of the camper to the cab.
Yep, I think you are right. The fifth wheel application was wireless to avoid connectors at the hitch. But this application could easily be wired. My two cents is, unless the vehicle has a noisy alternator, you would not need any power conditioning. Cigerette lighter 12V cable with proper coax connector should work fine.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.