Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Airpad not start up after long charge.  (Read 6495 times)

dreamerfb1

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Airpad not start up after long charge.
« on: September 28, 2011, 05:48:07 PM »

Wow!  Very strange behavior!  I left my Airpad on the charger, with a thumb drive plugged into the USB port, shut it down, even punched the "OK" sign, put it in the desk drawer and left it for about 6 hours.  When I took it out of the drawer it was quite warm, the charge transformer was quite warm, the Thumb drive was doing it's slow flash, and now it will not start up.  I've had it sitting on the cool desk surface for about 2 hours now in a 75 degree room.  It is almost room temp now, and WOW! It just now started up. It took two hours for it to cool down enough for the thermals to reset.  WARNING TO ALL: DON'T LEAVE AIRPAD PLUGGED IN WHEN NOT IN USE.  Scared the heck outta me; thought I'd burned it out.  Apparently the thumb drive would not let it shut off properly.  I started this on the assumption that I had a problem, but apparently all is OK.

YB

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • Coders Are The Only True Evils In This World...
    • X10 WTI
Re: Airpad not start up after long charge.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 08:03:05 PM »

That is very nice to know. Thank you for sharing that tip with us. In theory, you are absolutely correct. Having a thumb drive plugged in, the device will need to keep talking to it. It isn't like an SD Card which is natural to the device to have left in.

#:)
Michael Youngblood
Web Designer

Tesla

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 08:14:02 PM »

I left my Airpad on the charger, ... and now it will not start up.       

Yes, mine did this also the other day ... but I didn't have an USB flash drive or anything connected to it ... just the charger.

I had to use the hidden reset button to get it to boot up.

everydayflyer

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 08:53:25 PM »

Strange as mine powers completely down with a USB thumb drive installed . Very easy to verify as it is a Data Stick Pro by Centon which has an LED powered up / activity light which cuts off when AP finishes  powering down.

The AP does get rather warm while charging especially if it has been in heavy useage for a few hours with charger connected and you leave it connected to finish off the charge.

shesgone

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 12:11:22 AM »

I've had my AP for three weeks and seems to work OK. Now if I leave it on standby with the charger connected for very long it will not turn back on unless I use the reset function(ie. small hole on top of the unit). I would like to hear from others about this issue. I am uncertain as to whether to leave the charger connected when not in use, for instance overnight. And whether to shut down completely first or on standby. It is very inconvenient to have to remember to unplug the charger after some time when not going to use the unit for some time. What are others experiences?

Shesgone

DemDave

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 11:09:28 PM »

Instead of using the reset button (the small hole), try holding down the power button for several seconds (you may have to do this twice).

My Airpad won't wake up any time I leave it unattended for more than an hour or so, regardless of whether I put in standby, left it on the charger or any other combination of factors. Very serious annoyance, but holding down the power button a couple of times will always get it to reboot for me.

everydayflyer

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 01:31:39 PM »

I have many years of experience both using and testing Lipoly batteries and FWIW leaving the charger connected most of the time is not really good for the battery and the battery is not a user replaceable item to the best of my knowledge.  X-10 does not even have replacement chargers much less replacement batteries.

A Lipoly battery has it longest life if it stays around 3.8 v per cell and its' shortest life if kept full charged at 4.2 V for extended periods of time. The AP charges to 4.24 V and is thus allready slightly over charging the LiPoly.

Heat is also bad for LiPolys and these APs so warm they will not operate should be a real consern IMO.

DemDave

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 02:19:37 PM »

FWIW, I'm not sure that the issue is battery related (though certainly overheating from being left on the charger could be an issue for some and should be avoided simply for the safety concerns mentioned above).

Even if I leave the Airpad off the charger in standby it won't respond when I pick it up again. When it boots up, it shows plenty of juice left in the battery. So in my case, it's neither an issue of overcharging/overheating or an issue of battery drain in standby.

I guess it just starts missing my touch and decides that it doesn't want to wake up just to spite me.   ;D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 02:21:38 PM by DemDave »

everydayflyer

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 04:16:43 PM »

My experience but limited to one AP 7" version.

As noted above it charges to 4.24V which is a slight overcharge as 4.2 is considered 100% stste of charge. The US Military charges LiPolys to a max. of 4.1V to insure longer life and test conducted over many years show a direct relationship  to max. charged to voltage, mininum discharged to voltage, time above 3.8 per cell ,time at elevated tempertures.  Max serivice life when used between 3.8 and 4.0 but 3.7 to 4.1 provides yeilds 40% capacity useage while 3.8 to 4.0 yeilds only 20% useable capacity. 

Heat is hard on LiPolys and the AP gets rather warm while charging especialy if being used and especialy is layed down on its' back.

I keep mine vertical with air space behind it and maintaine the voltage level between 3.8 and 4.1 as much as possible.

Mine is never one for more than approx. 16 hours and I turn off WiFi and the screen when it is not in fact being used as well as disconnecting the charger if the level is at 80% or above.

It has never failed to come back up screen wise when the On/Off is pushed.

I have one App I run (Play On) which is next to impossible to exit from once started and that is the only issue I have ran into that is a reaccuring one.

deholla

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 11:41:33 PM »

I recommend being conservative and charging only when the AP is turned off.  My AP battery level charging or the power level indicator is very erratic.  At this point I'm trying to simply observe and take detailed performance notes to better understand and characterize what the condition might be.  Sometime it completely discharges from a full charge in a matter of 10 minutes, and other times it takes a couple hours.  The red charging indicator light can go from blinking, to full on, and full off regardless to what the battery indicator level shows.  Charging temperatures also vary widely and I videotaped the temperature readings about the surface of the AP with the highest being 133 degrees F just left and under the first large A in AIRPAD and on the back.  It does not always get this warm when charging and I found the temperature was building up greater when laying flat with the screen facing up. I plan more observations while recording the performance results.  

Modify this post:  my AP fails to finish booting up and just hangs.  I tried starting it dozens of times, several times while letting it sit for a couple hours with the stuck screen, and no progress. Twice it got past the loading screen to the unlock screen where it appears like all applications have been deleted.  Settings and other functions are not accessible. Initiating a factory reset is not an option. [d:02/12/2012 t:0630] 

Any other tips to try for getting over this quagmire?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 07:37:12 AM by deholla »

frantic1049

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 09:02:18 PM »

I believe that everytime I left mine connected to the charger when it was either turned off or in the sleep mode I had to use the reset button to get it to turn back on. After the first few times feeling how hot is was being charged overnight I made sure it got some air flow when it was charging.

As far as the battery indicator, mine behaved very erratically. On Thanksgiving it went from a pretty solid green to red with no yellow or warning beep that I heard. I charged it up & it hasn't booted up since.  :-\

deholla

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 09:22:33 AM »

Okay now. After three days of multiple attempts to boot up I got a stroke of luck and the unlock screen appeared.  All application icon dissapeared.  I connected the USB to a PC and a message like, "UIDs are inconsistent in the system. You need to wipe your data partition." After selecting "ok " then I did the factory reset (lost 74 apps that I installed) and the AP has been working well for the past two hours.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.