Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I got my AirPad, here is a list of stuff I consider to be missing  (Read 3543 times)

m-p{3}

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Hi,

I've been using Android devices since version 1.6, and I've got my fair share of experience with those. I've bought this device as a small, user-friendly device for my mother which isn't very tech savvy, and I think Android has come a long way so far to achieve that. However, there seems to be some minor stuff that I think should be checked on the current firmware to make it more polished.

• When downloading something, the notification bar will show up the download progression. When pressed, the web browser will crash. It seems the actual Download Manager APK is missing from the ROM. Could be a nice thing to have. EDIT: I think it is called DownloadProviderUi.apk, which uses DownloadProvider.apk but that one is probably present.
  • The News and Weather widget from Android is missing (GenieWidget.apk) in the stock ROM.
  • There is a cell signal indicator in the notification bar, and AFAIK there is no cell radio in the device. Getting rid of that would save a bit of space up there by not showing pointless information
  • Why put some APKs (Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Raging Thunder) in the stock ROMs that can be accessed from the Android Market? By putting them there, it's not as trivial to update or get rid of them, and takes space that could be used for something else
  • The lockscreen will always shows up in landscape mode. IMO it should follow the current screen orientation
  • Why is there an EthernetSettings entry? AFAIK there is no ethernet port on that thing..
  • The camera doesn't seem to work with Skype, even if the option is enabled in the app settings. Maybe this is something a newer version broke, as I was using the latest version on the market as of today.
  • QuickOffice Pro is in the stock ROM. Isn't that a paid app? Is the developer aware of the app being included? I don't think X10 would like to be in trouble for that..

Otherwise this seems to be a good device so far. I'm in Canada so shipping took forever, but I'm glad to have it now.

That's it for me so far :)

m-p{3}

EDIT: Added some APK names for the Download Provider
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 09:20:08 AM by m-p{3} »

YB

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • Coders Are The Only True Evils In This World...
    • X10 WTI
Re: I got my AirPad, here is a list of stuff I consider to be missing
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 07:05:39 PM »

These are great finds, thank you. I will pass them on if they are something I cannot directly fix.
Michael Youngblood
Web Designer

fuzzynco

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 09:53:24 PM »

Thoughts....

I'm using the rom version with su & superuser.apk added.

I'm looking for a patch to remove the displays of icons that
do not apply to the wi-fi only tablet framework.

Since the device has neither a Bluetooth or 3g hardware,
there isn't a reason to display those inactive icons
and a lot of the notification bar's real estate is occupied
with hard button replacements (home, volume +/- ,
menu). In portrait orientation there is very little space
for notification icons from services / software.

I'd also like to replace the default battery with a
circle / percentage  (like the ones generated by
UOT Kitchen http://uot.dakra.lt/kitchen/).

The kitchen will generate an update.zip
based on the uploaded framework-res.apk
and SystemUI.apk files from
/system/framework.

With my other Gingerbread devices,
I then put the upload.zip on my uSD
card's root and reboot in recovery
to install it.

I don't know how to to apply an update.zip
file with the rock-chip setup  B:(.

Do I have to manually rebuild the rom .img
file or can either ADB or recovery install it?

Thanks

fuzzynco

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 01:34:05 PM »

So did they say its software / rom problem (fixable) or a hardware issue (not fixable)?

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.