Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: car starter rf siginal  (Read 8250 times)

kenrad

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
car starter rf siginal
« on: October 03, 2011, 11:49:27 PM »

just wondering if anyone has looked into this but I had a light bulb idea but I don't know how to impliment it.  I was hoping to pick some of your brains to see if it is possible.  Seeing that the cm15a can respond to rf siginals is it possible to have it see the rf from my trucks remote start and send an x10 signal that would for instance open the garage door or turn on my exhaust fan.
any input would be appreciated

Thanks Kenrad -:)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: car starter rf siginal
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 05:55:31 AM »

X10 uses 310MHz RF frequency.
The remote starter would also have to be using 310MHz and the CM15A be able to decode the data being sent by the remote.
In theory it could, but I seriously doubt it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 06:27:43 AM by Brian H »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 07:09:04 AM »

Perhaps if you were to hack a keychain remote, and have the remote starter trigger a button press...

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 07:38:35 AM »

Or install a relay into a normally unpowered circuit in the truck so that it opens/closes when the truck starts. Wire a DS10a into the other side of the relay and have a macro run based on the DS10a state  -:)
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 07:43:30 AM »

... is it possible to have it see the rf from my trucks remote start and send an x10 signal ...
As others have responded, it's not probable. The CM15A will report only 310MHz RF signals that match the signals sent from things like the HR12A or CR14A. Your truck remote almost certainly uses a different frequency and protocol.

But there's an even bigger obstacle - your truck remote surely uses rolling codes - if not, I can steal it and any like it by recording the RF when you start it and playing it back when I want to start it and drive it off to the chop shop.

If you are handy with DIY, you might be able to build something that would react to any RF of the correct frequency. There will be an FCC ID number on your remote which you can use to determine its frequency.

Depending on the frequency, you can record the signals and then program a PIC or AVR chip to recognize the overall pattern and send a signal or activate a relay, etc. to accomplish your goal.

Might be easier to put a sound activated switch in the garage to open the door when the truck starts. :'
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 07:45:29 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 08:51:31 AM »

Or install a relay into a normally unpowered circuit in the truck so that it opens/closes when the truck starts. Wire a DS10a into the other side of the relay and have a macro run based on the DS10a state  -:)
This is even better than my idea!
You could go either way, though - Trigger it from an unused accessory circuit in the car (with a relay), or tap in and trigger it directly from the remote starter (with a relay).

The advantage of the first option is that whenever you start the car, it will run the macro, even if you don't use the remote starter to do it.
At the same time, the disadvantage is that if the car is in the driveway (and not the garage), it will still trigger the macro and open the garage door.

A much lower tech way to do it is to put an X10 keychain remote on the same ring as the remote starter, and just press the button to trigger the macro right after (or before) you press the button to start the truck.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 12:28:28 PM »

Are these guys brilliant or what!
Or install a relay into a normally unpowered circuit in the truck so that it opens/closes when the truck starts. Wire a DS10a into the other side of the relay and have a macro run based on the DS10a state  -:)

Genius beelocks! But improved on with Noam's idea of using the actual relay within or connected to the remote starter itself [see below]. And since your using the remotes circuit anyway... why bother with the limited range DS10A... I'd use a palmpad remote.

..... Trigger it from an unused accessory circuit in the car (with a relay), or tap in and trigger it directly from the remote starter (with a relay).

The advantage of the first option is that whenever you start the car, it will run the macro, even if you don't use the remote starter to do it.
At the same time, the disadvantage is that if the car is in the driveway (and not the garage), it will still trigger the macro and open the garage door.

.............. Might be easier to put a sound activated switch in the garage to open the door when the truck starts. :'

Security is always a concern! I like dhouston's sound activated switch! Why not use an off the shelf sound activated kit or device (or devices) to ether connect an antenna to... or release a ground on an antenna of a Transceiver Module. So.... as the cars engine turns over the sound would enable a TM751 Transceiver Module.... so it can then hear the PalmPad RF signal. This would prevent someone with an X10 remote (alone) from opening your garage door. Of course... adding a magnetic switch and a powerflash and universal module could prevent an open garage door from being closed when manually starting your car.

I love this stuff! What great posts at a really nice thread!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 12:34:40 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 01:06:14 PM »

From a security standpoint, perhaps this would be easier:
Get an extra garage door remote, and trigger the button using a relay from the remote starter.
Of course, since most remotes are "up/down" (the state changes with the button press), you would need to find one that has separate "up" and "down" buttons.

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 05:42:22 PM »

Get an extra garage door remote, and trigger the button using a relay from the remote starter.

Or... maybe we're looking at this from the wrong direction. Maybe if the OP was to: get an extra [car/truck] starter remote. Then, hack the remote using a Universal Module and include it being triggered as part of a morning routine macro that would include opening the garage door and starting the truck.

A morning routine macro could be triggered by any number of events (or a mere X10 signal) including conditional triggers (maybe even a temperature condition). For security reasons.... a PLC of an OFF in combination with a ON command would make the setup pretty secure. 

I've been meaning to create an "X10 triggered button pusher". In my mind the device would be a cutout of a pointing finger. Its movement (button pushing) would be caused by a solenoid activated by a PowerFlash Module and a transformer. It would allow a method of "hacking" any pushbutton device by simply positioning it where the finger would strike the correct button when activated.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 06:13:33 PM by HA Dave »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 06:07:26 PM »

Some great ideas here, but "youse" guys (Chicago speak) are really brave letting X10 start truck and open garage door. X10 will end up starting garage and opening the truck everytime kenrad plugs in his iPhone charger.   rofl
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

beelocks

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 08:51:49 PM »

I was only kinda thinking that just the extractor fan would be turned on by the X10. That would completely rule out the security argument (blah blah, 255:1, blah blah). If youse (olde English term) guys can't do the math about X10 and door opening by now I refuse to remind you again :)

Obviously no-one in their right mind would rely on X10 to open a truck or start a garage door  :'
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 10:11:39 PM »

.... Obviously no-one in their right mind would rely on X10 to open a truck or start a garage door  :'

I understand the hesitation to turn control over to the machine. Actually I think a big attraction [for many] to Home Automation is the, gaining more control over devices. But I really think sufficient safety and security controls could easily be put into place.

This may be a perfect place/situation for a confirmation macro. Using a confirmation macro... after giving the command to open the garage door and start the truck: A macro would turn ON a fake module. The macro would then delay for 1 minute and turn the fake module OFF. I would use BVC to announce "Are you sure you would like the truck started at this time?" Of course I use Voice Commands.... but that isn't required.

The confirmation macro merely sets up a temporary condition... that can be used in a conditional macro. Using something as simple as a keychain (KR-19) remote Pushing the [1] ON button could setup the macro (turning ON the fake module used in the condition). A voice announcement or even a chime could let the user know that the condition has been set. Then pushing the [2] ON... or even the [1] or [2] OFF could trigger the conditional macro... via a confirmation. 

This is somewhat theoretical of course... but the limitations are all in our minds.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 10:56:50 PM »

Obviously no-one in their right mind would rely on X10 to open a truck or start a garage door  :'

I'm not in my right mind.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

kenrad

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 10:59:14 PM »

thanks guys for all of your input, im going to start looking into some of them and I will let you know the end results

>!Kenrad

beelocks

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 11:24:34 PM »

I'm not in my right mind.

I should have had money on you being the first to say that  rofl

I understand the theory behind confirmation commands, but then you get into that situation where you start yelling at 'the machine' (I'm sure almost everyone has shouted at that damned paperclip in Microsoft Word).

"Of course I meant to start the truck, do you honestly think I would have pressed the button if I didn't?"

I like the idea of starting the truck and turning on ventilation with a single click. Opening the garage door with a running truck (loaded with tools) inside whilst I finish my coffee, not so much.
I could always park the truck nose in and rig the door opener remote to a relay connected to the reversing lights so that shifting the truck into reverse opens the door, but then I'd need another button to close the door unless I set up some kind of auto-close macro triggered by some action that only happens when I leave (RFID tag leaving the area?).

Some of these automation ideas seem like an awful lot of hard work :)
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.