Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: hookup to two computers?  (Read 2866 times)

swwalsh

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
hookup to two computers?
« on: October 18, 2011, 02:09:38 PM »

WHat is the best way to have a backup? Can I feed the ActiveHome Pro to two computers and if one computer dies the other one will continue to make it work (provided I have copied my files to the new machine?

What I was hoping for was redundency... So I have two computers.... If I make changes on computer one, I copy the files to computer two ....  both computer 1 and 2 are plugged in and if computer 1 dies, computer 2 is the new host and continues to work...

or do I need to copy the files and then when comp 1 dies, plug it into comp 2??

I want redundency and no downtime...

Thanks,
Steve

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: hookup to two computers?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 04:23:28 PM »

or do I need to copy the files and then when comp 1 dies, plug it into comp 2??I want redundency and no downtime...

Yes.

Having two redundant computers and two CM15A interfaces, both receiving and outputting identical at the same time commands may cause problems, even though the CM15As are "polite". Other forum users are running two CM15A's at the same time, but they are either on seperate phases or running different macros. I don't know if anyone is running two identical set-ups for redundacy. It might be worth some testing to see if it will work.  Switching the CM15A to the surving computer will work for sure, although there may be a gap if the failing computer is not identified right away.

Your question and ending stipulation implies you are using X10 for some "must not be interupted" X10 control operation...and that is not so good of an idea. Murphy was thinking of X10 when he jotted down his law.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

swwalsh

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 05:01:24 PM »

well what i use them for is my pool tables. I run them to turn on the table lights from a program... if the computer with the CM15A hooked up to it crashes... then I have down time, if I am not around to switch over the CM15A... But if al lI have to do is copy files over every time... and then plug in a usb to computer two, then it aint so bad... I can have it ready to go, if it ever happens... just more of a backup so  ppl can continue to use the tables...

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 05:43:29 PM »

Well since you are setting up a redundant computers anyway, and you probably have, or want a back-up CM15A since they fail also, once you get both set-ups it wouldn't hurt to try two simultaneous, identical systems. Your application does not seem complex so two system might work. I was just thinking of two systems trying to execute identical complex macros and having the repetition of commands mess things up.

Great idea, post back results if you try full redundancy.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »

well what i use them for is my pool tables. I run them to turn on the table lights from a program...

It sounds like you are using the interface to manually turn the lights on and off from the PC (as opposed to using timers or macros).

There is an even easier solution, I think.

Rather than get a second CM15A, you can probably get away with just a CM19A, put it on the second PC, and leave it connected.
you should be able to open up AHP on the second computer, and control the lights with that.

If, however, you are just using it for timers, and/or macros that are stored in the interface, then the timers should continue to run, even if the Pc crashes.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.