Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Apps confusion ,or which ones work and or are better than OEM onboard ones?  (Read 4685 times)

everydayflyer

• Helpful Post Rating: 5

So the Air Pad is my first Android based device and there are thousands of Apps on the market,many which seem to very very similar and many seem  to be some kind of extension / tie-in of / to the OEM software.

I spent  an awful lot of time searching for Apps so I could stream movies from my home server to the AirPad ,transfer movies from home server to AirPad SD card and in general do the normal computer house keeping that needs to be done.

Working for me at the moment:

UPnPlay by BEBOPFREAK   as my Wifi / Lan to Home Server path .

MX Video player  works well and has a few nice features IMO ,one downside is it does not play local media.

WiFi Manager   by   Kostya Vasilyev   provides a somewhat better means of turning WiFi on and off plus a few more feactures.

File Manager by Rhytm Software  seems capable of handling most any house keeping  / files management task.  The Search function seem to be much better than in some applications.

EDIT Nice on scree volum control

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=25128.msg141807#msg141807

I note there are a lot of over the air sync  Apps around which for use with a smart phone perhaps are great but  with a Pad?

Test : copy a 1,276,567 KB file by 3 means.

Desktop computer HD to SD card on same machine ,5.92 MB/ Sec.   3 min. 35 sec.

Desktop  to AirPad over USB ,2.65 MB/sec.  8 min , 2 seconds.

Server to AirPad over WiFi  ,  45 minutes , 5 seconds.

X-10 AP tested apps wiki link

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/List_of_Tested_AirPad_Apps
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 05:07:54 PM by everydayflyer »

q711179

• Helpful Post Rating: 2

Good information, thanks.
I thought I might also add my experience with streaming video.

Crackle has a limited selection but is easy to use and be sure to select menu button on top right corner for full selection of movies which change monthly.

There is fee for jetflicks but still less than netflcks and an awesome selection of tv shows. I think fee is $50 annually. I gave up netflcks for this as even new release shows are on it, Dexter anyone?

When using AP there is no option on jetflicks to save mp4 to card, so can stream only, and button EVO 4G there is. So I download to card with it and place in AP to store for later use, a small bother but no biggie, same story with my Nexus phone.

everydayflyer

• Helpful Post Rating: 5

Well not a great deal of responce so I will post a question  / request?

What is a very good Backup App that is simple to use?
I know there are many available on the Android Market but input from other AirPad users would be nice.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!

I think many of us AP users are new to android so there is a bit of a learning curve.
I've been trying to find a Voice Recognition app that works and haven't found one yet.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

deholla

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Vocanote works pretty good for me but seems limited to 20 seconds and you need wifi to send the audio to for getting the processed text.  I 've used the Nuance Dragon for years on the pc desktop and am thinking about getting their online app for Android.  Google voice actions and Vlingo also have some voice to text plus other functions, but not quite the same as the dictation software or my secretarial assistant.
...just to add a note:  changing the time out settings in Vocanote increases dictation time.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 06:18:57 PM by deholla »

bURrITo

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

For voice recognition Jeannie seems to work pretty well. I don't use voice recognition much, but it works on my phone. Haven't tried it on the AP though. Also looking at market Vlingo looks pretty cool. Both are free. Jeannie should work on AP and is pretty cool. Haven't ever used Vlingo, but it looks cool too.

q711179

• Helpful Post Rating: 2

Since the AP wiki for running apps hasn't been updated, I will go ahead and present a few of my choices for quality apps that I personally use and found to work well.
First off, I have found little use for voice activated apps such as Vlingo, though for my phone I do rely on Speaktoit Assistant.
Android System Info is an app that provides basic battery and system use info in a widget on my main screen.
Adobe Flash Player 10.2 has been adequate for playing flash for my personal use.
Business Calender Free has proven to be the best calender app and its widget fills one entire page.
Crackle and Jetflicks replaced my Netflicks for streaming videos.
Google Docs allows me to manage documents and spreadsheets.
Dropbox is indispensable and is mentioned in the wiki.
Dual File Manager XT provides awesome work with files.
Do It Tomorrow is my daily planner, it focuses on a today and tomorrow application.
Google+ of course.
Springpad for note taking and list making, though Evernote also works well.
I found Swiftkey Tablet X at a cost of $4 to be a great investment.
Thinking Space for taking note taking. It takes some getting used to pick up on the system but once done works between all my devices (computer included) by using dropbox.
I haven't required a back up utility since I don't plan on installing other ROM's such as I would on my phone, though I have found that Android market is doing a better job of syncing apps back on devices. As far as backing up data, all of the programs I have listed back up on the "cloud" and I can sync this info on both my phone and computer, which makes it easy to access and modify for whatever device I am using at any given time.
I keep my wi-fi off and only turn it on for syncing and streaming videos, and have found with proper management a nightly battery charge can last me all day. I also keep my AP in a leather case that was made for a kindle. It makes for a snug fit but works well without problems for overheating. I turn it off when charging and if I am not using it for any length of time, otherwise I keep the display off. This creates probably the only gripe I have had with the device which is it's length of time to boot up, so I try to plan accordingly and turn it on before I actually I am ready to use it.
Everybody's use for this device is going to be different and for that reason it may not be for everyone, I personally have found it to work quite well for me. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 02:53:05 PM by q711179 »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.