Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: can't remount /system r/w?  (Read 3318 times)

fuzzynco

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
can't remount /system r/w?
« on: October 09, 2011, 10:27:06 PM »

I'm trying to install an updated busybox to either
/system/bin  or /system/xbin and /system  will not
remount r/w?  B:(

Is that due to it being a cramfs instead of an ext2-3-4?

Is there a way to work around this, or do I have
to rebuild the rom to update programs in the
/system sub directories?

On my Android 2.3.4 phone I run adb shell
to mount -o rw,remount /system, adb push
the updated file to /system/xbin and then
adb reboot.

Thanks

SuperC142

Re: can't remount /system r/w?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 02:44:43 PM »

Same here, when I try to mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system, I don't get r/w.  8-/  I was trying to kill some stuff in /system/app, but I think I'm out of luck with that particular endeavor.  Truth be told, I *barely* know what I'm doing, so I'm not sure why it doesn't work.

tommy_v

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 07:33:33 PM »

The system is using cramfs, and is not writable.

AFAIK, you would either have to dump your mtd systems onto a linux box, unpack the cramfs, modify them, and repack into an update.img and reflash, or do so in a stock .img.

There are numerous sites that explain how to do so on the web.  Try googling for RK29Tools for a kit that will help you unpack and repack an update.img.  As provided, though, the RK29Tools script will add SuperUser.apk and su to your img, and you might not want to do that (it's easy to modify to skip that step).

bURrITo

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 09:46:02 AM »

what? this isn't good. i'm glad i saw this because I was just about to post that i couldn't do anything with this and was wondering if the airpad was actually rooted. this turned out to be a bad purchase. my wi-fi keeps locking up when the device locks, the latest rom has absolutely nothing on it except music and calculator, not even gmail? no android market support, the browser crashes everytime you try to view your downloads, no support for flash 11 and now it doesn't really have root? bogus. what else can we do with this airpad other than browse the web until wi-fi crashes. no bluetooth, no gps (but i knew that before buying) but figured it would still be very usable. turns out this is not. bummer  B:(

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.