Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Siri or Sensory could be the ultimate in home automation  (Read 6317 times)

peg-leg

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
Siri or Sensory could be the ultimate in home automation
« on: October 10, 2011, 02:23:34 AM »

Siri offered by Apple or Sensory for Android could really expand the possibitlies for a Star Trek like home automation system.  Siri seems to offer more  functions, but  Sensory susposedly has a flawless voice recognition system.  BVC is great but locks up if I leave the mic active while  watching TV.  It would be awesome to have the  best of these 3 products with complete access to info from the web and x10 command via voice control without restrictions. 

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Siri or Sensory could be the ultimate in home automation
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 10:11:14 AM »

...Sensory for Android could really expand the possibitlies for a Star Trek like home automation system.

Wow... I hadn't heard of "Sensory"... that does sound good. + 1 4 U.

I've been running BVC on an XP tower in the basement for half a decade now. Admittedly... its been a great experience although it does sound a bit dated.

For sometime now, I have been impressed with the computer technology used in mobile phones and publicly wondered if they wouldn't be our computers of the future. Ive now come to believe that pads or tablets may be the desktop/laptop replacements. Tablets/Pads are now at the the cusp in processor speeds. I am hopeful... although admittedly unknowledgeable... about a Android tablet powered Home Automation system [that could also include Voice Control].

I know Bill has himself purchased a tablet and was exploring Android as a platform. I hope that doesn't give away any product line introductions for Bill.

The third party software products have always shared the same problem when used with the CM15A. None are able to download to the CM15A. So... in order to have REAL processor controlled Home Automation...... running a full sized computer 24/7 was required. For many... heck I'll say it... for almost everyone the idea of running a computer 24/7 just to control their home seemed excessive.

Tablets and/or Pads [whatever we call them] cost so little to own and operate that displaying or mounting one somewhere that runs 24/7 sounds much more reasonable than a PC. Having a running tablet handy would be a great way to display weather forecasts, news, email notices, and facebook entries as well. And.... add to that control your home and being able to view security cameras too. It's a no brainer. These tablets could enable the much desired (and always before... high priced) touchscreens plus so much, much more... and for not much money. In fact, so many of these little pads cost so little to buy and use such tiny amounts of electric I feel confident that they would more than pay for themselves in electric use savings alone.

Thanks for keeping us updated and motovated peg-leg!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 10:15:53 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 12:22:52 PM »

Actually there are hundreds of voice recognition and TTS apps available for the android market.
I suspect the same for apple.
Since getting an AirPAd I've been looking more into them.
BVC merely needs some code added to make it web accessable.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

kenrad

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 10:29:11 PM »

sensory does sound amazing I think im going to do some testing on it.  the review state that it can recognize voice in loud environments and even understand you with your phone in your pocket. 

>!Kenrad

kenrad

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 10:39:11 PM »

looking into sensory I dont see how to get the applicaation.  if someone knows where to download the android app please let me know.  Thanks KenRad

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 07:50:13 AM »

Looking up sensory for android only pulls up a mailware warning for me!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

kenrad

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 07:46:17 PM »

Hey T,

I got the same warnings.  SO Idk whats up with that one :'(

>!Kenrad

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 10:14:17 AM »

Ok did a little more digging the app for android is by Sensory inc.
however it apears the it isn't realy a app but a technology called "Trueyhandsfree"
Truelyhandsfree SDK is $2500
http://www.sensoryinc.com/support/docs/80-0342-A.pdf

This allows an app to always be running and only respond when the key word is said, BVC and Ihouse do that now they just aren't android apps.
Most apps I've looked at require a button press.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 11:04:49 AM »

You mean you don't have one of these? :'
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 01:32:07 PM »

My Motorola SoundPilot works well but requires a head set. :(
It is Bluetooth but class one so range is loads for me.
Still I'd rather not press buttons.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 03:14:39 PM »

I think it was back in '06 or '07 when Tuicemen and I tested BlueTooth with our Voice Controlled setups. It worked... OK. But was just a tad too much hassle. For me.... I now carry my little cell phone with me where ever I go. Even while I type on my laptop and/or watch TV the mobile phone is within reach. Of course I am still stuck with a handful of old fashion keys too. I'd like to find solutions that would lessen what I carry around with me.... like voice control and/or automation macros replaces remotes.

I don't think it would make any of us less of a man to carry a murse (man purse)... I just don't want the hassle.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 05:20:05 PM »

I'd like to find solutions that would lessen what I carry around with me.... like voice control ...

From the URL I referenced earlier...
The Vocera Badge is voice-controlled and has the ability to do role-based calling which allows people to call other users or facilities by name or title or function. Weighing less than 2 ounces (53.9 g),[5] it contains a speaker, microphone, wireless radio and an OLED display that shows caller ID, text messages and alerts. The badge can be worn on a lanyard or with a universal clip to attach to the user's apparel or existing lanyard.

It operates over WiFi but I suspect the price of the Sensory SDK will look good in comparison.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

fubaya

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 07:56:03 PM »

Voice control with Android is easy if you have the right setup. I control x10 with Heyu on a Linux computer so remote access is as easy as bouncing commands over ssh. All you need is a terminal, which Android has, and a way to convert speech to text and get it into the terminal. Tasker, the phone automation app, can use the google speech recognition API to convert speech to text, then carry out actions based on the words in the resulting text, but it's actually easier to have Tasker write the text to a file and have a shell script parse it and carry out the right commands. You can have Tasker convert speech to text then execute the script so everything is automated. Tap an icon, get the voice prompt, say something, then the x10 at home gets triggered, and optionally, Tasker can use TTS to talk back to you to tell you the job was done. Although it's cool, I never really used the voice commands I set up though.

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 08:59:37 PM »

.............Although it's cool, I never really used the voice commands I set up though.

Honestly, I don't use active controls much... myself. Of course... remote controls as well as Voice Commands are both active. The longer I've lived with Home Automation the more ways I have found for the HA Computer and the CM15A to attend to my needs via macros and conditions.

An example would be: I use to check the garage door (to make sure it was down) every evening before turning in. Then I put a camera in the garage... so instead of walking to the garage to make sure it was secure... I could check the camera view on the TV. Of course although I no longer walked to the door... this was still an active use of Home Automation.

Then I created my Garage Door Macro. So now if my garage door is open... it is automatically announced every few minutes. So I never have to do anything active to know the status of the door... this function is now completely passive. I am immediately notified anytime the garage door is opened, or left open. This can be seen in an early YouTube Video I made.

Of course for me and my setup (I use BVC) Voice Commands and Voice announcements are part of the same software. The Voice Alerts, notices, and reminders (even the Talking Clock) are some things I wouldn't want to be without.  

BUT.... I post this knowing full well most HA users don't want a computer controlling their home for them. Most people want greater personal control over the devices in their homes. The individual active control... means remotes and Voice Commands.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 09:12:47 PM by HA Dave »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.