Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: overnight charging causes shut down and resets the clock  (Read 3681 times)

Motor2of7

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
overnight charging causes shut down and resets the clock
« on: October 11, 2011, 12:20:10 AM »

OK, this is getting frustrating.  When i plug my airpad into the charger overnight it causes it to shut down. When I restart it the date is set to 4:00 PM on 1/1/1970.

How can i make the date/time stay set!

This android OS reminds me of the early days of windows with buggy performance and unintuitive menus.

everydayflyer

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
Re: overnight charging causes shut down and resets the clock
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 08:13:25 AM »

When i plug my airpad into the charger overnight it causes it to shut down

I have had mine for about 3 weeks now and the time has remained correct  through daily power ups and shutdowns somestimes several per day.

The only reason I can think of why the AirPad would shut down while charging is if it is overheating.
FYI It is very bad for LiPoly batteries to get very warm and heat is not great for prolonging electronics life either.

I would suggest not leaving it on charge unattended overnight but then I am almost anal when it comes to LiPoy battery safety.I use them to power RC aircraft and have spent  the last 7 years learning about ,testing and using them.

Edit

There seems to be a bit of confusion by many as to the difference between Sleep mode  and Off / Powered Down completely.

"When i plug my airpad into the charger overnight it causes it to shut down" is it still on as in,connected to Wi-Fi, paused during a game or movie,etc.?.

Another Thread where over-heating during a charge was experienced.

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=25160.0
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 08:28:29 AM by everydayflyer »

Motor2of7

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 12:13:47 PM »

Here's an update. Last night i left it on the night stand, not plugged in and this morning i had to reboot (from the loading screen). 

everydayflyer

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 12:33:14 PM »

What was the statics of the battery, was Wi-Fi turned off or on when you placed it in the sleep mode?

I have done a lot of battery useage test and all of my findings suggest that X-10s estimates are very optimistic, IMO.

Motor2of7

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 10:35:44 PM »

The wifi is set to "never when plugged in"

Are you thinking the wifi is draining the battery and that's whats causing it to shut down?  Makes sense but it doesnt explain why the clock keeps resetting

everydayflyer

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 08:28:09 AM »

If battery is not 100% charged there is no way it would last overnight with Wi-Fi  on without charger connected.

There are some Apps which keep Wi-Fi connected perhaps even if properties are set to turn it off while screen is in sleep mode.

If the battery gets low enough the AP may do some type of system shutdown which includes turning of all internal functions including the clock. I do not know as I have never let mine go below 15% and that was only once for testing.

In other circles I am know as a battery Guru and LiPoly batteries do not take deep discharges well. I also do not know the minimum voltage required to keep AP alive and the OEM battery software does not display battery voltage.

Another possible issue if internal overheating due to poor air circulation and lack of additional heat sink while on charge for many hours while in use and then battery being charge being finished.

IMO  X-10 is not really providing tons of technical data on the AirPad. They provided a nice list of specifications most likely supplied by the actual manufacture but who knows how much of it was verified by Alpha and / or beta testing by anyone outside of the manufacture?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 10:21:26 AM »

I had an issue with the clock resetting but thought initally it was me forgetting to do something.
I realized now I did a long recharge and after wards it was very hot and wouldn't boot.
It was after this I noticed the clock was off.
I now recharge the AirPad proped up (not laying flat) to allow air circulation and haven't had an issue since.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.