Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Remote Lighting Modules  (Read 3017 times)

beigesedan

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Remote Lighting Modules
« on: October 14, 2011, 08:19:28 PM »

I created a system via x10 products to make all the lights in my large loft be workable via a remote. However, now after 2 years, they are all beginning to not work, and even if I replace the module, they do not work. I have tried everything from trying every different frequency, etc. Now I am left with only 2 lights able to work remotely and now have to consider starting all over again with another company's system.

Has anyone had this trouble?? ???

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Remote Lighting Modules
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 08:38:28 PM »

I created a system via x10 products .......now after 2 years, they are all beginning to not work, .........and now have to consider starting all over again with another company's system.

Yeah right! Join and make one post where you threaten to replace a perfectly good system... simply cause you don't understand what is going wrong.

This is a community forum. We are a group of X10 customers and users [like yourself]. We volunteer our help and advice to others. If you wish to threaten X10... you should call the technical support (or would that be customer service?) line:

Mon - Fri: 6am - 3pm (PST)
Mon - Fri: 9am - 6pm (EST)
Sat - Sun: Closed

Sales: 800-675-3044
Cust. Support: 800-442-5138
Tech. Support: 800-442-5138

Otherwise... I'd say your having a noise issue. Likely caused by a new cell phone charger or similar type of device that has one of those small lightweight transformer-like wallwarts. A bad CFL could cause the same problem. Even some flatscreen TV's could cause this. The question to ask yourself is: what has changed.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 08:45:23 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 09:23:52 PM »

You could go with any of the other manufacturer's systems and still suffer the same issue.

If you're replacing modules and they still don't work, then the problem is likely to be in your application and NOT the product. A gradual degradation of system sounds very much like powerline noise.

If you want help diagnosing your problem you could try searching the forum or letting us know what your system is made up of (crystal balls are not too reliable, especially when powerline noise is present).

If you want advice about alternatives then you should probably check your wallet and try Google. :)
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 10:07:30 PM »

Has anyone had this trouble?? ???
Yes....just about everyone. It is fixable.

http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

Find your noisemaker by unplugging everything on your loft circuit, one at a time, testing your lights after each device is unplugged. When things start working again you are holding the noisemaker plug.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 10:12:47 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 06:16:59 AM »

I would also think something has changed.
Have you done any troubleshooting?
Like what has been added to the installation location.

Yes you could go 100% new and I can assure you other protocols. Like Insteon also can suffer from power line problems.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.