Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Best floodlight bulbs for VT38a?  (Read 11566 times)

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Best floodlight bulbs for VT38a?
« on: October 15, 2011, 12:27:55 PM »

Hi. Reading through the x10 VT38a documentation regarding floodlights for the units....

On page 5, all it says is
"Secure the insulating ring in each lamp holder and screw a bulb (max 150 W, not supplied) into each lamp holder.

The back of the booklet looks like this documentation was made in 2009.
Furthermore, I read a thread also from 2009, titled "Finally ! VT38A Floodcam doesn't stay on forever !!"
that suggests to use only incandescent outdoor floodlights, not halogen. (See http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=17704.0 )

I went to Home Depot and Lowes and only find halogens and CFLs.

I was interested in finding what brand of floodlights other customers use for the VT38a.
I have the same issue that the floodlights will not turn off, after motion is detected at night.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 06:16:17 PM by 20110907 »

Re: Best floodlight bulbs for VT38a?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 06:43:50 PM »

Looks like known issue from review
See http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=10202.0

sazzam

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 03:40:55 PM »

I had countless issues with my VT38A. Until I finally got them to work without any single issue (it's been at least 5 months now). :-X

I looked everywhere for incandescent floodlights and found some at Walgreen's. They are 65W and a bit pricey for that old technology.

I am so happy that the lights are on ONLY when it's dark and they turn off after 1 min.

npampel

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 02:29:02 PM »

I have changed out my light bulbs without any correction.  I believe I started with either 120 Watt or 150 Watt halogen, then saw the post where 65 Watt incandescent bulbs fixed some peoples issue with the VT38a turning on all the time.  So I tried the 65 Watt Incandescent bulbs and the same thing still occurred; motion sensed at anytime the floods come on despite the setting of dark only.  I was somewhat concerned that with those incandescent bulbs which were indoor rated and if we had a hail storm, I did not want to find glass all over the driveway; so now I have 65 Watt outdoor Halogens, but my issue is still there and the wife is unhappy and always asking "how come those lights come on all the time?"  I am seriously contemplating on removing the VT38a and re-installing my PR511 (X10 Floodlights without the Cam) which was very reliable regardless of the light bulb type.

Cheers,
Nate

PS I did read in one post that a user swapped the bulbs to 65 watt incandescent and switched the HC to "D" and UC to something and for whatever reason they got it to work.  I have not tried changing my HC/UC.     

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 06:12:03 PM »

PS I did read in one post that a user swapped the bulbs to 65 watt incandescent and switched the HC to "D" and UC to something and for whatever reason they got it to work.  I have not tried changing my HC/UC.     

$0.02 I saw same post and think it probably coincidental. House code should have no effect on how long the lights stay on after trigger.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

npampel

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 03:18:51 PM »

UPDATE and possible Good News  ;D
Last night I stopped at our neighborhood Wally-World (Walmart) and picked up two 65 watt rated new efficient type halogen outdoor floods that only use 45 watts and installed in the VT38a; and so far, knock on wood, the VT38a is working as it should with the dark setting set and the floods only coming on at dark.   :)%

Of course, I would like to monitor them to make sure that this is indeed the case and not just a fluke.  I will keep an eye on them and post back with my findings.

I hope that we are onto something here.  :'

Cheers,
Nate

npampel

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 10:02:22 AM »

So Far so good.   :)% :)%
Two days now and the floods on the VT38a come on only at night.   :)% :)% :)%

Cheers,
Nate

npampel

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 10:13:23 AM »

3 days and counting.   :)% So far it is working as it should.  Wife is happy now too.  :)%

Winkman

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 10:54:38 AM »

Hmmm... This is gonna make me Buy New Bulbs and power up my flood Cams once more.

sazzam

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 04:10:19 PM »

npampel,

Are the Flood Lights still working properly without issues?

npampel

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 04:25:21 PM »

After a few weeks now, i would give it a 99% success rate.  These bulbs definitely made/make a difference.  The first few days 100% accuracy; however, there has been a time or two now that they did come on during the day with fairly bright sunshine when I walked by.  :-\  Very bizarre.  But these dimming halogen bulbs are far superior to any other flood lights incandescent indoor or outdoor, hands down.  And the wife still remains happy.  :'

Cheers,
Nate   

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.