Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Corrupted Video after installing Vanguard SW and VA12A driver  (Read 8511 times)

wildcard

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Corrupted Video after installing Vanguard SW and VA12A driver
« on: October 18, 2011, 12:47:42 PM »

I recently installed Vanguard ICC on a Windows 7 system and I cannot get correct video.  The video looks similar to one that is out of sync or a has the wrong pitch (several large horizontal bands).  I have confirmed that the X10 VA12A Video Capture driver is correctly installed.  I have connected the VR36A video receiver directly to a TV and confirmed I have good video.  This setup did work on an XP machine a few months ago (just getting to installing it on my new system).  Any suggestions?

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: Corrupted Video after installing Vanguard SW and VA12A driver
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 12:55:36 PM »

When you tested with the TV, did you have to move the receiver in order to plug it into the TV?
It sounds like there is some sort of interference in the wireless signal, and moving the receiver over near the TV changed the signal path, and the interference.

To rule out problems with the VA12A, try to plug a "known good" video source into it (like the output of a VCR or a DVD player - something that isn't wireless).
Once you have confirmed that the VA12A is good, then you can try to narrow down the signal issue.
Try re-orienting the antennas on the camera and receiver to see if that cuts down on the interference.
Try changing both the camera and the receiver to a different channel, and see if that helps at all.

wildcard

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 01:09:05 PM »

Thanks Noam,
I'm positive that its not a signal issue as I have the camera and reciever about 5 feet apart (I have not mounted the camera yet).  When I had it connected to the TV I was able to move the camera at least 30 feet away.  I used to write video capture device drivers in the past and it looks very similar to a pitch/stride issue so it's possible that the VA12A is now defective.  I was hoping for a driver update/config fix.  I am working on trying to get a known good signal source to test the VA12A.  I got rid of my DVD and VCR as I now stream all my movies over the net.  I'll get back once I can verify with a known good video source.

wildcard

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 01:48:09 PM »

Mystery solved!  I was able to get my old hacked Tivo running again and found that the VA12A worked perfectly so that pointed to something else.  I powered cycled the receiver a couple times and suddenly got clear video.  Power cycled it again and crappy video.  After further investigation, the power supply for the reciever is bad.  It is supposed to put out 6VDC but is actually putting out approx. 11VDC.  I rigged up a 5VDC power supply and it works great.  Looks like it was being overdriven.

Now to see if I can get X10 to send me a new power supply.

Thanks Noam for pushing me to hook up a known good video source as I was pretty convinced it was a SW driver/config issue.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 01:56:41 PM »

X10s power supplies are not regulated and can have a higher than normal output. If measured with out the load on them.
Though it does sound like you found the supply was bad.

wildcard

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 02:37:40 PM »

Thanks for the info Brian.  I didn't have a 20 Ohm (or even close) resistor to add a load so I pulled the receiver apart and measured the voltage with the unit attached and was getting 8.5 volts.  That's about 40% higher than the rating so I suspect it is on the hairy edge (though I don't know what the actual tollerance is).

I am going to contact tech support to see if they can get me a new one but at least I am back up and running for the moment.

Thanks all for your help.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.