Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Windows XP Pro suddenly forgets VA11A ??  (Read 5666 times)

darkstarz

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • USMC - Semper Fi - Once a Marine, Always a Marine
    • Darkstarz World
Windows XP Pro suddenly forgets VA11A ??
« on: October 20, 2011, 10:08:35 PM »

Have a little computer on the side that I use for a mini-server, and it's been running my AHP for quite sometime no issues, all the usual plug-in's as well as the iWatch Mobile Pro, which works awesome! Anyways, always wanting to make a small adjustment here and there, I wanted to change video cards to an ATI 9800 Pro, already had an ATI X800 inside, but it had an error somewhere, and none of the software I downloaded from AMD worked to resolve it. I had the install CD for the 9800 Pro, so I did it properly enough, removed all the old software, and installed the new, it all works great, but now AHP has no Video!
   There is no error in the Device Manager of any kind. Program starts up just fine with no issues. This time its not the cable, as the computer finds and installs the VA11A cable if I move it from one port to another like it should. Something, somehow, in the installation process for the ATI crap caused AHP to lose its connection to the video cable only.
Larry S.
http://www.darkstarz.com
The impossible we do immediately,
Miracles may take us a day longer.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: Windows XP Pro suddenly forgets VA11A ??
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 09:24:52 PM »

There were some known conflicts between the ATI drivers and the VA11A on XP.
Search around the forums, I remember reading a lot about it a few years back.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 01:17:50 PM »

It is possible an update [driver update] could have caused the changes. I'd try a system restore to a date when the setup worked fine. 

Start button (lower left corner)
all programs
Accessories
system tools
system restore
Home Automation is an always changing technology

darkstarz

• Darkstarz World
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 10:21:40 PM »

You're right about there being an issue a while back (Long while! :) ) with ATI and X10, and I even saved the crap on it somewhere, but I just destroyed about a dozen old HD's which probably had what I needed on it.

(Note: A 5lb sledge with a wedge on one end does wonders on HD's, all data is destroyed in a short time.)

Anyways, that's what I need tofind out now, is what file (s) I needed to copy from what directory to which directory in order to resolve this issue.Going to try playing a little bit and see if I can't "stumble" over it on here or on my own. If anyone else knows or finds it, please, let me know asap! Thanx!
Larry S.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 08:01:21 AM »

You're right about there being an issue a while back (Long while! ...........  Anyways, that's what I need tofind out now, is what file (s) I needed to copy from what directory to which directory in order to resolve this issue.

But in your original post you said all was working well.... until recently. Have you deleted files? Why not just have the computer restore the file?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

darkstarz

• Darkstarz World
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 09:11:33 AM »

The only problem I have with a System Restore, is that if I installed or made changes to anything else since that time period, it's lost or has to be done all over again. And yes everything was working great, even the iWatch Mobile Pro plug-in I just got, until I swapped out ATI video cards and installed the video drivers for it. As soon as that happened the VA11A stopped working. It is still installed in the system properly, and I've even changed VA11A cables, which it found and installed without a hitch, but AHP can't seem to recognize itself.
  Tying to use XP's "Search" is nothing but a joke. It can't even find the original x10net.dll file on the system thats sitting there in plain sight! I am currently going through each diretory one by one looking for any other copies of the x10net.dll since I don't have an ATI remote.
Larry S.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 09:24:35 AM »

darkstarz
Have you updated or reinstalled AHP since you installed the new ATI card?
If not get the AHP update file and reinstall, that might fix the diriver issues with the VA11A. ;)
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

darkstarz

• Darkstarz World
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 11:10:25 AM »

yeppers, reinstalled all AHP and plug-in's yesterday or the day before, didn't help, didn't hurt. Just spent a good 45  minutes running through System Restore, but XP won't complete a System Restore, at any restore point, be it from 3 weeks ago or 3 days ago, it constantly comes up with a "System Restore Incomplete" when it comes back up. Not sure whats causing that, other than possibly the 2 unknown devices that keep popping up. I'm pretty sure the one is the WDM audio for the VA11A, but can't say what the other is.
Larry S.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.