Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MODEL WS467 WALL SWITCH  (Read 3654 times)

X10FOREVER

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
MODEL WS467 WALL SWITCH
« on: October 20, 2011, 11:49:52 PM »

Was looking for a new WS467 to replace the one that finally died gracefully. Curiosity struck, however, when, in the course of my on-line shopping, it appeared that X-10 hasn't seemed to address the obvious issues that everyone will be forced to deal with, with the in-progress advent of an all spiral society, in the form of an affordable, dimable wall switch that everyone doesn't have to call out an electrician to install for them.  Am I missing something, here?  If I am, I will gladly apologize.  But, I have been a user of X-10 products for some years, now, and I have grown to respect their collective genius.

I have long been aware that X-10 makes a wall switch designed to work with fluorescent lights, but the last time I checked the price tag, seems it cost around $60-$70 a pop. That just doesn't seem like a viable alternative to a $12.99 switch that does the same thing for the good old light bulb that will be disappearing from the retail shelves in a few years.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 11:56:20 PM by X10FOREVER »

William8

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: MODEL WS467 WALL SWITCH
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 12:05:54 AM »

It's a myth that incandescent bulbs will be banned in 2012. They just have to be more efficient, some companies are already producing them:

http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/blogs/republican/incandescent-light-bulb-ban-0711

They do cost more though, so I've made sure I have enough Halogen flood bulbs, standard 40, 60, and 100 watt bulbs to last for quite some time.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 06:07:33 AM »

I have tried a few of the 72 watt halogen replacement for the old 100 watt incandescent. That meet the 2012 standards.
They work fine with X10 modules.
Though I also have a stock of extra 100 watt ones.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 10:10:07 AM »

Was looking for a new WS467 to replace the one that finally died gracefully. Curiosity struck, however, when, in the course of my on-line shopping, it appeared that X-10 hasn't seemed to address the obvious issues that everyone will be forced to deal with, with the in-progress advent of an all spiral society, in the form of an affordable, dimable wall switch that everyone doesn't have to call out an electrician to install for them.  Am I missing something, here?  If I am, I will gladly apologize.  But, I have been a user of X-10 products for some years, now, and I have grown to respect their collective genius.

I have long been aware that X-10 makes a wall switch designed to work with fluorescent lights, but the last time I checked the price tag, seems it cost around $60-$70 a pop. That just doesn't seem like a viable alternative to a $12.99 switch that does the same thing for the good old light bulb that will be disappearing from the retail shelves in a few years.
The XPS3 will control (ON-OFF) CFLs, regular fluorescent, and LED bulbs and can be had for $15. The problem is it requires a neutral wire in the wall box.

The two wire WS467 style wall switch will ONLY work with incandescent and halogen (which are also incandescent) bulbs. The collective genius of X10 *can not* remedy that with throwing a lot of design money at the problem. I don't see X10 as being in a postion to do that right now. I doubt another producer of X10 compatible switches (Smarthome, ACT, PCS, etc) will tackle it either.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 11:57:03 AM »

The X10 WS13A also is a relay type switch. It can do CFLs LEDs and other non incandescent type lights. It needed a Neutral Power Connection also.

The Insteon and Icon switch lines can also have an X10 address added to them, but are much more costly and also need a Neutral Power connection.

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 08:05:17 PM »

The X10 WS13A also is a relay type switch. It can do CFLs LEDs and other non incandescent type lights. It needed a Neutral Power Connection also.

The Insteon and Icon switch lines can also have an X10 address added to them, but are much more costly and also need a Neutral Power connection.

so obviously we know it is not code to use the ground wire in the lite box for the nuetral, but has anyone done this (other than me?

In my home I refused to wire switches this cheap shortcut way of only having 2 wires go to the box;  all my boxes have both neutrals.  but at one office we bought they did the cheap 2 wire approach.....  ws13a's have been running fine for about 3 yrs now.....

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 08:42:01 PM »

so obviously we know it is not code to use the ground wire in the lite box for the nuetral, but has anyone done this (other than me?

but at one office we bought they did the cheap 2 wire approach.....  ws13a's have been running fine for about 3 yrs now.....
Yeah, you are not the only one to do it. "Why not?" since back at the breaker box neutral and ground are bonded togeather.

The problem is: if the ground/neutral line should happen to open, then everything that is supposed to be "grounded" from the WS13A back to the open wire nut point, will now float at 120V. So turning on the water at the kitchen sink and flipping the garbage disposal switch at the same time can become *enlightening*.  :o
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.