Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Blinds going down then up with Universal Module (UM506)  (Read 11862 times)

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: Blinds going down then up with Universal Module (UM506)
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 09:28:01 AM »

From the little bit I know about garage door openers (I don't have one), they usually operate on a single button, that triggers an "up" if the door is down, or a "down" if the door is up. I assume that's the setup you have here.

I went back and re-read the thread, and my earlier post makes perfect sense to me in this case. You keep the CM15A connected to the PC all the time. I have to assume the Pc is rebooted from time to time, though. If AHP is NOT opened after the reboot, then the timers will double-run (with a few second delay in most cases) until AHP is opened (it can be closed right away, I don't understand why this happens, I did report it to the developers).

Are the blinds making it ALL the way down (14 seconds), or going partway down, and then going back up?

Why do you have the "off" commands in the timers? If the Universal Module is set to "Momentary" mode, then it goes off right after it goes on. You shouldn't need those "off" commands (unless they do something else, like trigger another module on the same code).

JJtech

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 10:35:36 AM »

Dan, Norm, Dave W.,

Dan,

I presume you pay your own electric bill. Are the breakers labeled? They should be. There's another way to join the phases if you have an electric stove. A .25 capacitor between the contacts of the outlet (usually behind the stove) will link the two phases and it does not affect the stove. X10 signals get to cross the phases and the stove doesn't know it's there.

>>>>>>>>>>  Thanks, I am fine with the way it is working now.  I have other problems I need to solve.

Norm,

You said the problem happens only when AHP is NOT running, right?

>>>>>>>>>>  I just stumbled across that last night.  I could not say that definitively at this point.  I didn’t think that the CM12A needed to either be connected to the PC nor if it was that AHP needed to be running.  Am I correct?  Set me straight!

There is a bug (on the user-maintained Bug List) that causes timers and macros to execute TWICE under certain circumstances.
In my testing, I found this to be the case from the time the X10Nets service is started or restarted (usually at a system boot or reboot, but the user can stop/start/restart it manually, too), until AHP is opened. Once AHP is opened, even if it is closed again right away, the double-running of the timers and macros stops happening.

>>>>>>>>>>  That could explain Norm, thanks so much.  I will try that.   :)%

I wonder if this is what you are seeing. If you have a macro, perhaps double-triggering of it is causing the issue you have.
Are you seeing the commands twice in the Activity Monitor? If not, what ARE you seeing when this is happening?

>>>>>>>>>>  Haven’t looked that closely at the AM.  Is there any way to search via ctrl F or something like that?  Can you somehow export the AM to a spreadsheet??? 

Another possibility (although remote - and it may have already been mentioned here) is that there is a problem with the motor unit's limit switch detecting a problem, and reversing. Although, I can't think of a scenario where that would be caused or prevented by AHP being open.

>>>>>>>>>>  No I don’t think so.

One last thought - what happens if you manually short the "down" switch, and then short it again while the blinds are going down. Does it reverse immediately, or wait till it gets to the bottom to reverse? Perhaps the macro is running twice, but the motor delays the second action until it completes a cycle.

>>>>>>>>>>  As long as you wait for say maybe 2 seconds for the GDO to “reset” it’s switch, it will reverse the direction regarless of where it is in it’s cycle/position.  It’s not the GDO, I have NEVER had any similar problems when activating it via a hardwired x10 controler.

Your second post:
Are the blinds making it ALL the way down (14 seconds), or going partway down, and then going back up?

>>>>>>>>>>  All the way down, then back up.

Why do you have the "off" commands in the timers? If the Universal Module is set to "Momentary" mode, then it goes off right after it goes on. You shouldn't need those "off" commands (unless they do something else, like trigger another module on the same code).

>>>>>>>>>>  Once and a great while the GDO doesn’t reset it’s switch, so as a precaution (especially if I am away from home when I activate the second timer) I want to make sure that the cycle is not ass backwards (need it to go down at night and up in am).  If I am here, I put the blinds up at night via “Good Night - All OFF” under the miscellaneous room.

Thanks so much Norm! >!

Dave W.,

Since this would cause the UM to again activate the GDO, It sounds like Noam has nailed your problem.

>>>>>>>>>>  Yes, I agree!  Thanks to Norm and everyone else for helping!

BTW "OP" means "original post".

Now I gotta ask: You have a GDO raising/lowering "all the blinds in your home " (!) that has to be impressive, but how do you accomplish that?, run all the blind cords up in your attic and have the GDO mounted up there? That must have been a mechanical design feat! I am impressed, but what if something binds? Does it cause damage?

>>>>>>>>>>  Thanks!  The reverse.  I live on the first floor so most of the “runs” go down the cellar via cables and ropes and lots of pulleys.  I counter weight the blinds as to make up for the extra drag via all the ropes and such.  If something binds the GDO stops just as it would if a true GD would jam.  I have some 8 blinds so it does save me time every morning and night!  Certainly impresses the girls as well, especially when I hide my RF/IR remote behind my back and tell them to cay “computer, lower the blinds!!!”  I love gadgets.  I have even hooked up a automatic watering system for all (which there is a lot of) plants inside and outside (summer) my home.  If I kick the bucket, everything in my home will go on working, I hope!!!

JJ

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 01:28:31 PM »

JJ -
In case you aren't aware, you can insert multiple quotes from previous replies (and even quote people who quoted other people!), instead of using the ">" symbol the way you did. I'm using that method here (let me know if you need help figuring it out - I'm happy to help you).

You said the problem happens only when AHP is NOT running, right?
I just stumbled across that last night.  I could not say that definitively at this point.  I didn’t think that the CM12A needed to either be connected to the PC nor if it was that AHP needed to be running.  Am I correct?  Set me straight!
Depending on what plugins you have, and how your macros are set up, the CM15A may or may not need to stay connected to a PC, and AHP may or may not need to remain open.
Most of the newer plugins require a live connection to AHP. In addition, certain types of timers and macros must be run from the PC (or have that option, at least).
There were early reports (back when the CM15A was relased in 2004/2005) of problems with the CM15A clock drifting. This is prevented by connecting it to the PC, which then initiates a time sync of the CM15A's clock every two hours. I don't know if later revisions of the hardware had this issue or not, but it was dependent on certain strange power fluctuations, not on any specific software.

I wonder if this is what you are seeing. If you have a macro, perhaps double-triggering of it is causing the issue you have.
Are you seeing the commands twice in the Activity Monitor? If not, what ARE you seeing when this is happening?
Haven’t looked that closely at the AM.  Is there any way to search via ctrl F or something like that?  Can you somehow export the AM to a spreadsheet??? 
The Activity Log can be saved to HTML. Click File--> Save As. You can then open the log in a browser, copy the text, and paste it into another program (I've had some luck copying and pasting into Excel sometimes, other times it gets all messed up when I try).
You can certainly search the HTML file once you open it in your browser.

One last thought - what happens if you manually short the "down" switch, and then short it again while the blinds are going down. Does it reverse immediately, or wait till it gets to the bottom to reverse? Perhaps the macro is running twice, but the motor delays the second action until it completes a cycle.
As long as you wait for say maybe 2 seconds for the GDO to “reset” it’s switch, it will reverse the direction regarless of where it is in it’s cycle/position.  It’s not the GDO, I have NEVER had any similar problems when activating it via a hardwired x10 controler.
Once and a great while the GDO doesn’t reset it’s switch, so as a precaution (especially if I am away from home when I activate the second timer) I want to make sure that the cycle is not ass backwards (need it to go down at night and up in am).  If I am here, I put the blinds up at night via “Good Night - All OFF” under the miscellaneous room.

Okay, this confused me a little. If a single press of the GDO's "button" (shorting the switch contacts) will reverse the state of the blinds (raise them if they are down, lower them if they are up), how do you know which way they will go?
If the UM is already disconnected (since it is in "momentary" mode), how does sending it another "off" command change anything?

Since this would cause the UM to again activate the GDO, It sounds like Noam has nailed your problem.
Yes, I agree!  Thanks to Norm and everyone else for helping!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 06:38:35 PM »

The reverse.  I live on the first floor so most of the “runs” go down the cellar via cables and ropes and lots of pulleys.  I counter weight the blinds as to make up for the extra drag via all the ropes and such.  If something binds the GDO stops just as it would if a true GD would jam.  I have some 8 blinds so it does save me time every morning and night!  Certainly impresses the girls as well.
Well the description alone impresses me and I am a certified Rube Goldberg contraption maker. At this moment "Knightrider" (another forum member and "designer/engineer") is on my "WOW" pedestal, but your " "Blinds by 'Overhead Door Company' " may knock him off.   :)%
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »

What might beat the garage door opener idea would be a trained monkey. The Universal Module turns on a blinking red light, and that's the monkey's sign to go around the house raising or lowering the blinds. Now THAT would be cool!

JJtech

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2011, 08:29:24 PM »

Norm, Dave,

Norm,

In case you aren't aware, you can insert multiple quotes from previous replies (and even quote people who quoted other people!), instead of using the ">" symbol the way you did. I'm using that method here (let me know if you need help figuring it out - I'm happy to help you). 

>>>>>>>>  OK, thanks, I guess I could use a little help.  I don’t use forums that much.  I usually take the message over to Outlook, construct it and put it back into the forum.  I hit the “Quote” button for this and it gave me EVERYTHING from your post.  Hard to decipher what I want to keep and not keep in that small box.  Maybe I am missing something on this???  Thanks for the AM tip as well!

Okay, this confused me a little. If a single press of the GDO's "button" (shorting the switch contacts) will reverse the state of the blinds (raise them if they are down, lower them if they are up), how do you know which way they will go?
If the UM is already disconnected (since it is in "momentary" mode), how does sending it another "off" command change anything?

>>>>>>>>  Sorry, I misspoke.  Once and great while the UM will not do it’s usually 2 second reset.  That is why I have the off command, especially when I am not here for several days.  The UM/AHP draw the blinds down every night and if I am here, “Good Night - All OFF” under the miscellaneous room takes them up.

I tend to be a perfectionist and for years X10 complacency to fix their software drove me nuts.  I finally gave up.  Nice that they are cleaning it up now.  How did you guys survive all those years???

Thanks Norm and Dave!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2011, 08:57:03 PM »

Well the description alone impresses me and I am a certified Rube Goldberg contraption maker. At this moment "Knightrider" (another forum member and "designer/engineer") is on my "WOW" pedestal, but your " "Blinds by 'Overhead Door Company' " may knock him off.   :)%

I've exchanged emails with JJ from time to time.  Glad to see I'm in good company.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

JJtech

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2011, 10:24:51 PM »

Hey Knightrider,

Good to hear from you!

I am not even a beginner compared to you, Dave and Norm!

I bet between you 3 you could solve my VA12A problem!

Take Care,

JJ

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 12:06:00 AM »

>>>>>>>>  OK, thanks, I guess I could use a little help.  I don’t use forums that much.  I usually take the message over to Outlook, construct it and put it back into the forum.  I hit the “Quote” button for this and it gave me EVERYTHING from your post.  Hard to decipher what I want to keep and not keep in that small box.  Maybe I am missing something on this???  Thanks for the AM tip as well!

It is simple enough.
Start by pressing the "quote" button, to get the entire text. Keep the stuff in brackets at the top and bottom. If you don't want to work in the little box, you can copy everything out to a text editor (like Notepad), and then bring it back afterward.

The very top is a "quote" tag (the word "quote" surrounded by square brackets) that starts the quote. Unfortunately,  I don't think I can insert one here to show you (because it will turn it into a quote!).
The one at the top includes extra information (like the poster you are quoting from, the time of their post, etc). Leave that one alone.

Find the spot in their post after which you want to insert your own text. Put a "/quote" (that's a forward-slash, and the word "quote") in square brackets ( "[" and "]"), and then jump to a new line. Insert your own text (generally your comment on that part of their post).
To continue the next section you are quoting, put a new "quote" tag (in the square brackets again) at the beginning of the next section of their text. Keep doing this until you get to the end. Make sure there is a "/quote" tag at the end.

Paste it back into the edit box, and click the "preview" button. That will show you what it will look like (above the edit box). Make any changes as needed, and then post.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 10:16:48 AM »

I am not even a beginner compared to you, Dave and Norm!

I bet between you 3 you could solve my VA12A problem!
;D
Thanks for the compliment but I never drank the X10 video kool aid. However HA_Dave is the Dave you want for X10 video.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

JJtech

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 11:37:09 AM »

It is simple enough.
Start by pressing the "quote" button, to get the entire text. Keep the stuff in brackets at the top and bottom. If you don't want to work in the little box, you can copy everything out to a text editor (like Notepad), and then bring it back afterward.

The very top is a "quote" tag (the word "quote" surrounded by square brackets) that starts the quote. Unfortunately,  I don't think I can insert one here to show you (because it will turn it into a quote!).
The one at the top includes extra information (like the poster you are quoting from, the time of their post, etc). Leave that one alone.

Find the spot in their post after which you want to insert your own text. Put a "/quote" (that's a forward-slash, and the word "quote") in square brackets ( "[" and "]"), and then jump to a new line. Insert your own text (generally your comment on that part of their post).

This one I get.

[/quote]To continue the next section you are quoting, put a new "quote" tag (in the square brackets again) at the beginning of the next section of their text. Keep doing this until you get to the end. Make sure there is a "/quote" tag at the end.

[/quote]
This one I don’t.

If you have the time and inclination, could you make a modification to this message several times, take a screen shot and post it?

Paste it back into the edit box, and click the "preview" button. That will show you what it will look like (above the edit box). Make any changes as needed, and then post.
[/quote]

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 01:50:59 PM »

If you have the time and inclination, could you make a modification to this message several times, take a screen shot and post it?

To make it simpler, I'm going to create a simple post, and then do a multi-quote on it to provide the example.
Keep an eye out for it in a minute.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 01:52:43 PM »

This is my sample post, to give a quick tutorial on multi-quoting in replies.

Here is my first paragraph. Some question I'm asking, or a portion of my setup I'm describing.
In my reply post, I'll quote each of these, and reply to each one separately.

Here is my second paragraph or point.

Here is my third paragraph or point.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 02:01:37 PM »

Below is my Multi-quote reply. I'll include the code for it in a "code" section at the bottom, so you can see what it looks like in the "Edit" window. To make it easier to read, I added more line breaks than needed (you can put the "quote" and "/quote" tags at the beginning or end of a line of text).

Here is my first paragraph. Some question I'm asking, or a portion of my setup I'm describing.
Adding "/quote" in square brackets will end a quoted section. These tags must be paired, with a "quote" beginning the quoted section, and a "/quote" (with the slash) at the end.

Notice the tags before and after the line above. Those "frame" the section you are quoting.

Here is my third paragraph or point.
As I mentioned at the top, you can put the tags on the same line as the text.

This is the end of my example reply. The code (for the entire post, minus the "code section") should appear below:

Code: [Select]
Below is my Multi-quote reply. I'll include the code for it in a "code" section at the bottom, so you can see what it looks like in the "Edit" window. To make it easier to read, I added more line breaks than needed (you can put the "quote" and "/quote" tags at the beginning or end of a line of text).

[quote author=Noam link=topic=25463.msg143138#msg143138 date=1320778363]

[/quote]
Adding "/quote" in square brackets will end a quoted section. These tags must be paired, with a "quote" beginning the quoted section, and a "/quote" (with the slash) at the end.

[quote]
[/quote]
Notice the tags before and after the line above. Those "frame" the section you are quoting.

[quote]Here is my third paragraph or point. [/quote]
As I mentioned at the top, you can put the tags on the same line as the text.

This is the end of my example reply. The code should appear below:

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2011, 02:03:55 PM »

One thing I forgot to add - when you click on the "quote" link at the top of a post, it automatically puts in that first "quote" tag (with all the poster information, etc), and the last "/quote" tag.
I hope my example helped.
In your last post, you didn't match up the "quote" and "/quote" tags, which is why it didn't look right.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.