Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Security Question Newbie  (Read 4672 times)

Gismo

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Security Question Newbie
« on: October 27, 2011, 09:33:29 PM »

Hi I been using x10 modules to turn on-off lights for years (radio shack unit). Just bought more modules and some ActiveEye (ms16a) motion units to make my house look lived when not home.  Thinking about getting the basic security setup (16-piece, Wireless Security System for just $99.99) to add to my habit.  My interest is that the unit will call my cell phone and turn on a few lights.  The system comes with 1 Security Motion Detector (MS10A).
Here are a few questions:
Can the  ActiveEye (ms16a) be used also as a motion for the alarm? I have 4

Has anyone used a window sensor as a water alarm?  Thinking of using it to monitor my sump pump and call me if it gets to a high level. ( just have the water make the connection)?

Can the call unit listen in? when it calls you can you listen in on your house?

Thanks

kenrad

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: Security Question Newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 12:11:38 AM »

From my understanding to use the eagle eye sensors with the alarm system you also need the on alert plug in.  As for the window sensors.  I currently use a ds10 for my sump pump.  I just removed the reed suitch and connected the wires to two copper plates and connected them to the sides of the sump pump housing. (the housing is plastic).  Then I use on alert and Ihouse for noticication.  I house gives a voice confirmation in the house to warn me htat there is an issue.  and then on alert sends and email to my phone that notifies me as well.  As for listening in on your house Im not sure as I don't use x10 security.  But maybe some other members will chime in on that one. 

>!Kenrad

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 06:15:19 AM »

There is a modification to make a water sensor if the simple copper strips thing doesn't work for you.
http://www.gardnerswebsite.com/ds10a/index.html

Will a MS16A work with a security console. NO it will not register with the console as it does not do the security messages.

I don't use On Alert. So I don't know if a MS16A could trigger a macro in AHP to then set off the console. I kind of doubt it.

Gismo

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 03:56:30 PM »

What is ihouse ?  I don't see that on the x10 website

Gismo

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 05:17:27 PM »

Also, the reason i'm interested in the Wireless Security System is for the auto dialer.  About 25 years ago I installed a hard wired Radio Shack Safe House burglar alarm (cat # 49-450A) and yes it still works with no problems.  Recently I was looking at the manual for the system and notice that it could talk to x10 modules if I had a Radio Shack Plug n Power Interface.  Then I noticed that that interface looked exactly like the x10 Universal Module UM506.  So I was thinking that I could wire the UM506 to my hardwired system and it would turn on my x10 controlled lights. 
My other question is......if I connect the UM506 could it communite to the x10 Voice Dialer Console (PS561)to make a call ?????

thanks again

William8

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 06:41:33 PM »

If you do order, check the website carefully, they have 9 piece, 13 piece, 16 piece, 17 piece, and even 19 piece, all for $99. Guess it's luck of the draw which page you land on. ???

http://www.x10.com/promotions/home_security_n.html?TWENTY11

kenrad

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 09:39:34 PM »

Ihouse is a third party application Developed by TJ and Tuicemen that allows to expand the range of AHP macros and Allows voice recoginition and voice anouncement of devices that are activated.  It allows for voice confermation of activated events and macros. Tuicemens PC Companion will also give voice anouncements.

>! KEnrad

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.