Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Interfacing the CM11A with a router running dd-wrt  (Read 7125 times)

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Interfacing the CM11A with a router running dd-wrt
« on: November 10, 2011, 10:46:38 AM »

I have two CM11A's in my "extras" box, and I have a few routers that are capable of running dd-wrt (A Linysys WRT-54g, and two revisions of the Actiontec MI-424WR).

I was wondering if anyone here has played around with adding a serial port to the router (I know that can be done - I've seen those instructions), and then interfacing the CM11A with that (using one of the Linux X10 control programs).
I am hoping to make a web-based interface (accessible from my home network) for sending and receiving X10 signals (I'm already using a CM15A for running my house, I'm looking for a secondary control method).
A second project would be to create a "status board", preferably with a row (or two, or three!) of LED's, that would indicate the status of the HC/UC's assigned to those LEDs (based on PLC commands seen on the powerline).
If I'm willing to sacrifice a housecode, I can turn it into a flag status monitor (as long as each macro that sets or clears a flag also turns on or off the associated "dummy" appliance module on the "monitoring" housecode). I have no idea how I'd interface that LED output board, but I'm not up to that yet.

Can it be done?
I know I can probably handle the hardware side of it (adding the serial port, plugging the CM11A into the serial port, plugging the router and the CM11A into wall outlets to power them up), but I'm only marginally familiar with dd-wrt (I flashed an original "free" Fonera router with it years ago, and I flashed one of the Actiontecs - just for fun), but I haven't played with adding any packages to the install (I don't even know if there is enough onboard storage space to do so).

Does anyone have the experience to help me with this project?

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: Interfacing the CM11A with a router running dd-wrt
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 01:57:28 AM »

Does anyone have the experience to help me with this project?

Not yet, but, it's interesting that I was thinking on the way home tonight that many routers can be repurposed with Linux and perhaps that could be used along with a serial to PLC transceiver to create a WiFi or just Ethernet connected CM11A.

Wonder how hard it would be to add a HiMark or other 310MHz radio module into the mix and make a networked CM15A?

Interesting ideas!

Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking in that direction.
 >!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 07:29:22 PM »

Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking in that direction.

You're glad? I'm glad I'M not the only one to think of this - it means it might not be such a crazy idea after all!
Now, if someone can tall me how to add whatever appropriate interface(s) to either a Linksys WRT54g, or an Actiontec MI424WR, I'm happy to try it.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 07:41:20 PM »

http://www.rwhitby.net/projects/wrt54gs

There are many more similar pages - search on linksys wrt54g serial port.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 07:45:54 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.