Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Ok no CM15A's  (Read 54810 times)

Gismo

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Ok no CM15A's
« on: November 11, 2011, 11:14:40 PM »

So I can't find any CM15A's.   I wanted to get Activehome and start getting into some cameras.  I found this package on x10 and would like your opinion since i'm kinda new only with lamp modules.    http://www.x10.com/promotions/xx32a_ed_4cam_free_bonus.html?EM
This has the Active Home Pro software, and iWatch with some cameras and of course the CM19A &  TM751.
I have a mini timer so my lamp modules are controlled with that.
I wanted Active Home to use for special times like xmas lights, and halloween lights, flashing and diming stuff.    I also wanted to try the cameras with iWatch over the internet.  So i figured this package would be my best bet for now since i feel the CM15A's are gone for ever.
I already have 1 TM751 that I use for remote turning on/offlights.  So i guess i could use the new TM751 on a different house code with the software for the cameras.
I'm not interested to have internet control of my lights.
Just want to use Activehome for special times and try the cameras via the internet while on business trips.
I feel x10 may be gone soon so do you think this package will do what i want it to do?

thanks all
ps i asked 2 online x10 people and they said they may not get anymore CM15A's.......too bad x10 wont just come out and say it

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: Ok no CM15A's
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 12:02:52 AM »

Two distributors still list the CM15A on eBay for prices ranging from $80 to $110.  The highest price one comes with all the additional software.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Gismo

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 09:23:42 PM »

Is it worth spending 110 for the CM15A

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 10:33:07 AM »

Considering the CM19/TM751 combine is a poor substitute for the CM15A,  it's a better interface.   Paying $80.00 and above is the only choice at this time.   We can only hope X10 gets a supply of the CM15A again.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Gismo

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 02:33:56 PM »

Ok I ordered one from Automated outlet with no software.  Also I figured I would order the x10 package that includes:
Smart Macro Software Module for ActiveHome Pro (SW32A)
iWatchOut Software Module for ActiveHome Pro (SW33A)
myHouse Online Software Module for ActiveHome Pro (SW34A)
ActiveHome Professional Software (SW31A)
ActiveHome Pro - Home Security Solution (SW39A)
ActiveHome Professional Computer Interface and USB Cable (CM15A)  or the CM19/TM751 kit   for 49.99
This way I would have the  CM15A and the CM19/TM751 kit   incase one controller died.  Since I doubt x10 will ever have more.

Then I will look into a small camera package, I would only need 2.

I hope this will do what I put in my first post?????

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 10:17:36 PM »

Use the CM15A, it's much better that the CM19A/TM751 combine.  You can use the TM751 with a SS13A Stick-A-Switch to control up to 3 modules.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 07:22:04 PM »

Wow, I took a short nap, and when I woke up, the CM15A was not only discontinued, but out-of-stock.   With no new replacement.   I mean, no one here is beta testing something, are they?

B:(
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 07:35:10 PM »

... I mean, no one here is beta testing something, are they?
I can tell you this much. I've been working with the head of the AHP development team for over a year now, on various issues I had (which we were able to fix), and also as a liaison for the users here.
He knows that I'm eager to beta-test any new X10 hardware (and software - he has given me "preview" releases of some AHP stuff in the past), and I haven't not heard about any new CM15A replacement. If they were having it beta-tested outside the company, I would have hoped he would have said something to me.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 07:35:32 PM »

I don't think X10 is manufacturing much these days.
Some web sites say X10 has closed the plant in China completely.
We have seen a trend of third party items prominently displayed on the sales site. While X10 items are showing less everyday and lots of "Equal or Better" {X10s words not ours} substitutions in orders. Like the CM15K is a CM19A with TM751 sub for a real CM15A.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 07:26:58 AM »

I can tell you this much. I've been working with the head of the AHP development team for over a year now, on various issues I had (which we were able to fix), and also as a liaison for the users here.
He knows that I'm eager to beta-test any new X10 hardware (and software - he has given me "preview" releases of some AHP stuff in the past), and I haven't not heard about any new CM15A replacement. If they were having it beta-tested outside the company, I would have hoped he would have said something to me.

Yea, I worked directly with the original head of the dev team up until he left X10.  I beta tested the CM11A, CM14A, CM15A, as well as many other items.    I would hate to see the evolution of the AH series of controllers come to a complete dead end.

With the loss of the CM15A, will X10 still invest in AHP software development anymore?
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 07:38:42 AM »

Well they did add support for the CM19A and even the older CM11A to AHP.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »

My local cable company [time-warner] is offering Time Warner Cable IntelligentHome although... I don't think they are actually installing in my area... yet. They say: It provides next-generation home security, automation, energy management and much more. With this system, customers are always connected to their home. They have touchscreen and the whole nine yards as part of their systems.

The hold-back for automation [IMHO] has always been the lack of reliable technical and engineering support. X10 has always been for the DIY types... like all of us regulars here. Maybe X10 has seen the writting on the wall with the changes in automation. Maybe X10 is looking for ways to continue to fit in with the services others (like the cable compay) will be providing. To provide the IntelligentHome features [Time-Warner is advertising]... I would guess it would require a pretty niffy IP accessable interface controller. Maybe there version of a CM15A already controls all the automation protocols.... X10 included.

I don't think it's over! I think Home Automation is just now entering into the mainstream. We've hobbied around the edges of what automation is really capable of for many years. I think we're on the verge.... of an explosion of advancement.

But I am glad I have some back-up and spare parts too!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 06:12:38 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Gismo

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 11:43:40 PM »

just some info....
when i ordered, the guy from x10 sounded like he know what was going on.  He said...the CMA15A was not cost effective and they were not going to have anymore. So will X10 still invest in AHP software development anymore?  I would guess yes for a while since they are still pushing the CM19/TM751 kit. But how long?   

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 08:36:33 AM »

... since they are still pushing the CM19/TM751 kit. But how long?   
Until they use up all the CM19/TM751 plastic cases/circuit boards in inventory? That's what it looked like they did with IBM, RCA, Magnavox and other cases they had on hand when those companies stopped selling X-10.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 11:42:11 AM »

..... So will X10 still invest in AHP software development anymore?  I would guess yes for a while since they are still pushing the CM19/TM751 kit. But how long?

Does it matter?

There are a few other softwares out there that run on PCs... that will control the CM15A. AHP has some advantage's... for sure... particularly with the suites, or plugins. However much of the plug-in stuff requires a running computer. As well, the CM15A memory and processing is so woefully underpowered that I think many [if not most people] use the CM15A in conjunction with a Home Automation Computer anyway. Wouldn't a free DownLoad of ihouse [or similar software] work just as well for most people currently using AHP with a PC? I am hoping to see a Android tablet-based AHP lookalike soon.

From my experience with automation forums... I think most people want to actually wield control over their devices themselves, anyway. Not program intelligence into the machine so it can cleverly control itself. That always puzzled me a bit... but I guess it's human nature. However, if you do run just the CM15A [maybe with seasonal or holiday programs] certainly you have AHP on more than one PC (Maybe even on that old XP laptop in the back closet). Putting your AHP files on a flash drive for backup, or emailing them out to yourself in an email attachment is ALWAYS a good, safe practice.

Even old XP computers seem to last like the energizer bunny anymore. And I've only read of a couple of the CM15A's dieing of natural causes. So most working setups should be good for several years... maybe decades.... with a little careful planning. And new devices are certainly on there way. X10's protocol is still the standard and most popular as far as existing devices and automation users. I don't think we will soon be forgotten by new device manufacturer's.

Many of the old timers here at this forum... are active on other automation forums as well as this one. Some even have their own forums. As problems arise... or the landscape changes... solutions and work-arounds will be found. We're all in this together.... and its all going to work out just fine.
Home Automation is an always changing technology
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.