Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Ok no CM15A's  (Read 54802 times)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: Ok no CM15A's
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 03:11:25 PM »

To provide a reliable X10 powerline interface for PC-based automation systems, I recently introduced the XTB-232.  That supports the CM11A "real-time" protocol.  It doesn't have a timer, and will not support timed events or macros.  People are using it with HomeSeer and Home Control Assistant (which has a free X10 version).  It also supports ActiveHome and ActiveHome Pro when running on the PC.

It has been discussed in this thread:  http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=22578.0

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 04:29:58 PM »

To provide a reliable X10 powerline interface for PC-based automation systems, I recently introduced the XTB-232. .... It has been discussed in this thread:  http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=22578.0

And maybe I should have mentioned that! Sorry... you are certainly a primary "problem solver" in regards to X10 and Home Automation. And I think and feel there will always be people (like you JeffVolp) that will always jump in and fill the voids that need filled... or fix the problems that need a fixed. I remain confident that we X10 users will remain able to control our automated homes.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

joe123

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 07:31:27 PM »

I spoke with a technician at smarthome today and asked them if they had heard anything about the cm15a and this is the conversation...

07:50:41 AM [Joe ] Have you heard anything about the cm15a? Is there going to be a replacement...is it discontinued. Just curious if you had heard something through the grapevine.
07:51:36 AM [Danny] It is discontinued, and honestly, X10 has stopped production on just about all of their items, if not all of them by this point so there will never be a direct replacement for that one.
07:52:45 AM [Joe ] Oh....to bad they are not being honest with their customers. They are introducing new products but you think they are getting out of the modules and other controllers?
07:54:45 AM [Danny] The most recent information I heard was that they closed their Hong Kong plant which is where they make most of their devices, and then ramped down the company. I don;t know if it means they are going out of business or eventually plan to stop production all together, but I know that Smarthome has slowly started phasing out all of their devices because of it.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 08:39:46 PM »

I suspect "Danny" at Smarthome is blowing smoke.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 08:57:47 PM »

It's always possible that Danny has been reading the same rumours that everyone else has :)

What Danny says there is almost exactly what I've read on this very forum. I would imagine that Smarthome is phasing out X10 produced devices due to
a) poor supply lines,
b) in order to better promote their own X10 devices, or
c) all of the above
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

HA Dave

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 09:52:48 PM »

Norm has been communicating with X10 via Facebook... see attached, below:

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2011, 10:07:19 AM »

Interesting! The X10 rep is very firm in their statements...no wiggle room at all. I read that as good news. I guess time will tell.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Gismo

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2011, 10:53:36 AM »

I don't believe anything the Facebook x10 guy says about the the CM15A or other modules.  I've made 4 orders in the last few months and asked questions.  They all came right out and said no more CM15A's.  One sales guy told me to hurry up and find one on Ebay before they are all gone. So I found one at Automated outlet and now they are sold out. X10 is now selling a new security system and IP camera that is not compatable with X10 modules.  I like what HA Dave said about his cable company and security systems.  My cable company Xfinity called me this week, bragging that they had the best cheap security system, and it would turn on and flash lights when tripped. I had to laugh to myself. It basically does evert thing that X10 can do. Turn lights on over the internet, monitor cameras, use your iphone.  It was $199 + a monthy monitoring fee.

When the X10 facebook person says they are just out of stock, I have to hold my comments.  Maybe they are trying to find a few hundred is storage someplace.  But after that I think they will be gone fore ever, that's my guess.
Well..... I have lamp modules and timers that are (Radio Shack) 25 years old and still work without a glitch.  I purchased a CM15A and some other x10 stuff so I'm set.

Good Luck All

Denver Bob

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2011, 12:29:59 PM »

OK - let me play devils's advocate...

What is the downside to no more CM15A's. (besides replacing a defective unit)

What does the CM15A do that can't be done with a CPU running the AHP software?

1.) You can store the Macro's and timers in it. So it becomes standalone.
2.) It talks over RF if and only if you tell it to (so you can talk to a TM751 or RR501 that is on another house phase.)
3.) ?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2011, 02:53:25 PM »

3.) With no power line receiver. You can't trigger any events from a power line trigger signal.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2011, 02:54:40 PM »

I'd wait awhile.  What was posted before is the CM15a will be available in a while, but no time frame was given.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2011, 06:09:28 PM »

Another theory:
They closed their Hong Kong Chinese factory (that seems to be more fact than theory).
Maybe they are opening a new production facility up elsewhere (somewhere cheaper, perhaps), and it takes time to ramp up production?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 06:57:45 AM by Noam »

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2011, 07:22:32 PM »

Was the factory in Hong Kong or mainland China?

HA Dave

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2011, 09:01:20 PM »

I don't believe anything the Facebook x10 guy says about the the CM15A or other modules.  I've made 4 orders in the last few months and asked questions.  They all came right out and said no more CM15A's.  One sales guy told me to hurry up and find one on EBay before they are all gone.

What we have here is contradicting information. I chose to believe BOTH (I've never known X10 to outright lie). I'd say the people (sales people) you spoke with on the phone gave your the best information they had (never promise the customer anything you can't make happen). Then I'd guess the marketing person on FaceBook honestly said "we will have more CM15A's... but with no promised date".

It hasn't been unusual for X10 to run out of stock of an item... particularly an older one. 

Gismo

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »

Time will tell......
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.